“A good spot for casual food, beer & music” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: June Way
Description: HOURS: Mon-Thu 12PM - 2AM Fri 12PM - 2AM Sat 12PM - 2AM Sun 12PM - 2AM Himmel Haus is a German restaurant and bierhaus featuring a wide variety of German and Belgian beers and wines with a simple menu of Bavarian-inspired food. While we will offer some strictly traditional recipes throughout the year, our vision is to take the customary ideas and theories of German Cuisine and give them a contemporary, California twist. Our goal is to serve only the finest and freshest local and sustainable products we can find, from local dairy and organic produce to humanely-raised meats, showcasing these amazing products in our German-inspired fare. Himmel Haus is committed to applying sustainable business practices, and to becoming a go-to locals' spot in South Lake Tahoe. Takes Reservations: YES Accepts Credit Cards: YES Parking: PRIVATE LOT Attire: CASUAL Good for Groups: YES Good for Kids: YES Price Range: $$ Delivery: YES Take-out: YES Waiter Service: YES Wi-Fi: FREE Good For: Lunch/Dinner Music: LIVE EVERY Mon/Sat/Sun Alcohol: Beer & Wine Only Smoking: No Noise Level: Average Ambiance: CASUAL Has TV: YES - 12 ft Big Screen! Caters: YES Wheelchair Accessible: YES Dogs Allowed: Sorry No
Brentwood, California
“A good spot for casual food, beer & music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

While I am not an expert on German cuisine, my family thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Himmel Haus. Great selection of German beer, fun plays on German food (the Alligator sausage & homemade slaw on a pretzel roll was awesome!) and some very good live music made for a great first night out in SLT. We will definitely go back again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Perfect after a day on the mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This place was just what we needed. We walked over to it from the lift at the bottom of Heavenly. My friends just wanted a beer and were very impressed by the number of imported beers they had available. The beer mugs were huge!

The appetizers were exceptional -- particularly the pretzel bread with the dipping sauce. Mmmm. I really hadn't had German food, so I played it safe and ordered their signature burger and it was outstanding. Very large and made with a combination of flavors and toppings that I hadn't had before. I'm craving another one, with their curry ketchup sauce that comes with the fries.

We stayed for a while -- it was a pretty cozy atmosphere, with a large fireplace and nice people all having a pretty good time. I'll be going back for sure the next time I'm up there.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
“Just a beer bar”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I cannot believe a lot of locals thought the food was good! I was looking forward to the chicken
schnitzel but they took it off the menu because it was holding up the kitchen. I had the spaetzle with cheese and it was boring. My friends had the spaetzle and it was swimming with oil (butter?).
That was boring too! The only other "German" food they have, was an assortment of bratwurst, which looked like a giant hotdog. We were hoping for decent desserts (like strudel, black forest
cake), but all they had were mini pies that were just canned fruit in a frozen pie shell (they were
also burnt). Another friend had the moules (mussels), she said it was ok, but will never order them again. The only good thing was the pretzel bread.
We were at the bar area for happy hour ($2.00 off beer) and noticed the place is so run down. I guess this is a great place for young adults (skiers & boarders) to hang out and drink beer (I don't think they can afford the food!). They also have bands playing later on at night, so I think that is their biggest draw! I will never go back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Check it out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Enjoyed the casual atmosphere, warm fire, and great beer selection. The service was friendly and prompt. Our meals were tasty with generous portion sizes. Would definitely recommend if you're in the mood for something easy, filling, and a delicious brew.

Visited February 2013
“Stay away at all costs.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This place should be closed down. The food is terrible. The service is horrendous and insulting. The waiter we had said to my face that he didn't care if we were satisfied or not because he didn't cater to clientele like us. A German restaurant, they ran out of spaetzle at 7 pm. Save your time and go anywhere else.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere