“The best kept secret of So Lake Tahoe” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta, Vegetarian, Family Fare, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Primo's Italian Bistro serves authentic Italian recipes and boasts the most extensive selection of Italian wines on the South Shore. Large parties, catering, reservations and to-go orders are welcome. We also have quarterly wine pairing dinners.
Los Angeles, California
“The best kept secret of So Lake Tahoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This little Bistro had better Italian food than we had in Italy. Charming small restaurant in a strip mall, behind a restaurant named Orchids. We found it through our Consignee at our timeshare. The cooks were trained by the Italian owner. Lunch is 1/2 the price of dinner & has ample servings. I had Eggplant Parmesan & it came with Fettuccine and red sauce. My husband ordered Ravioli & Meat Balls & both were delicious. We were served fresh, hot bread, just out of the oven. With drinks & tax (including one red wine) we paid $26.50. To be sure I liked the wine, the waitress brought me a sample glass before she served the wine. The waitress (who is usually there during winter months) was very attentive, fun to talk to, had a cute European accent & made our visit very enjoyable. We gave her a larger tip than 20% as the service was so good & the total price so low. There were table clothes and Italian music playing (even for lunch). We wanted to go back again during our week there but ran out of time. Primo's will be at the top of our list for our next trip to Lake Tahoe.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

They serve relatively good Italian food. The veal piccata was very good, so was the catch of the day. The soup (wedding soup) was too spicy for a child and only ok as taste - the meatballs had an unpleasant soggy texture. The bread was good. The gelato was good.
Service was fast and polite.
Nothing that would make us drive there on purpose, but decent.
The ceiling made of white sheets is a bit disgusting and why do they have opaque window coverings when the scenery outside is beautiful? The LED candles are kitschy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Decent Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I take some pride in judging italian food as I do come from the East coast (hope I'm not sounding too pretentious there)...all in all it was pretty good.

To start off they gave us a ridiculous italian roll for bread. You know the kind you make sandwich with. It was weird. Regardless the balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the side made it taste just fine. Was a just a bit bizarre.

Appetizer special: rice balls stuffed with sausage...it tasted excellent and the red sauce it was served in was pretty good. The rice balls themselves were the stars of the dish.

Salad: a very average casear salad with what seemed to be straight out of the can anchovies...was a not a huge fan of them.

Dinner special: I had homemade pasta with a wild boar ragu which was pretty great. My girlfriend had the chicken piccata which I had a taste of...it was also very good as well. The best thing hands down was the homemade pasta. It tasted so fresh.

All things considered including price this was a very good italian spot. More than I ever expected for a place in South Lake Tahoe. I would definitely come here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Homemade Pasta and quality food in SLT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Home made pasta and high quality food in South Lake Tahoe in a restaurant not associated with a casino is new and wonderful! South Lake Tahoe is trying to attract a different clientele and this restaurant goes great with the health conscious, eco-tourist that they are trying to cater to. It's reasonably priced and they provide some fresh ideas on their daily special menu. Loved it and I'll be going back there again!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Nice local hangout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed eating outside. The pizza was especially good served with a nice selection of beer. It was a pleasant night with a nice energy. It appered to be a popular place among locals.

Visited October 2012