“Clean & reasonable!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 71 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Jose, California
“Clean & reasonable!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place was a priceline surprise for us. I'm not sure I would have chosen this place if I were going strictly by all of the reviews.

We got a room on the second floor. There was some kind of Harley biker retreat going on at this place, so it was a little intimidating to drive up and see all the bikes and bikers when we drove up.... but everyone was really nice and friendly. There was also a concert going on at the nearby casino, so it was pretty noisy from that. But all of the noise promptly stopped around 10 pm.

The weather was cool, so we didn't need the A/C or heat. Yes, the place is a little dated. But I gotta say, our room was immaculately clean! No hairdryer or iron.............but there were lots of little toiletry samples.

We didn't get a chance to try the breakfast. We were up and out too early for that.
The staff was pretty nice. We'd consider coming back here.

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ceres, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

First off there was no a/c condition. I died of heat. I booked a room with a full kitchen and I did not get that. The rooms seemed old, no iron or hair dryer. Overall this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I often stay here for the weekend. It is good value. I stayed here for the past 4 years. My review is past due.
The staff is friendly. I can check in early if the rooms are ready, which is 90% of the time.
The breakfast is awesome. They have coffee, juice, milk, fresh fruits, cereal, energy bars, etc. My favorites are the fresh cup cakes and toasted bagels with cream cheese. Then get an apple to go. I never eat so much breakfast elsewhere.
The rooms are clean. The furniture are old, but well maintained. There is WIFI, but often busy.
The hot water is hot and the cold water is cold. It is very important! The water pressure is good for a hot shower.
It is a 5 minutes walk to Heavenly Gondola.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove up for a last minuet birthday weekend and stumbled upon this cute little place. I grew up only an hour away and have stayed at many of the cheap motels in this area. The Ambassador was a pleasant suprise to say the least. The rate was affordable, the room was large and clean, the service was friendly, and the breakfast spread was great. Excited to say we have one more night here. We will definetly be back!

• Stayed February 2013
Tracy, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Traditionally been staying here for the past 4 years for my birthday bash. i have no complaints. Rooms are reasonably priced and very close to the all the casino's. The manager provided my party quality customer service. If i planned a tahoe trip in the near near future i'll be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is an old lake Tahoe Motel near stateline and although it shows it's age my room was clean, comfortable and relatively quiet. The manager went out of her way to ensure my room was clean and that I had enough towels. Apparently, that had been an issue earlier in the week. I stayed here during a ski weekend and would do so again.

Room Tip: Well located on a quiet street near stateline.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Newport Beach, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I came to South Lake Tahoe to see the sights and relax.The staff was friendly, the room was clean and heated, and it was close to the shopping center and beach. However, the room was very dated; felt like being bad in a 1950's time warp. The free breakfast was a joke, very noisy due to the plumbing sounds from the neighboring rooms, the jacuzzi was filled up with snow and the free wifi was very slow. Since the bed looked very dated, we slept on our sleeping bags.
Our tip for the Ambassador is to make it welcoming to guests. HIRE A DECORATOR.

Room Tip: Pick a different place to stay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!