“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Laguna Hills, California, United States
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family and I've stayed there last two years in a row and always get the room w/ a kitchen. It's clean and the staff is very accommodating. They have a heated pool, really good continental breakfast w/ fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, milk & cereal, juice, coffee and energy bars. They also pay extra each year to allow their customers to enjoy the lake front beach just down the street at no cost to you ($25 a day). It's walking distance to casinos and all the main strip (hwy 50).

Room Tip: My family and I really like room 21 w/ a kitchen and shade.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel was fine. It was clean. The bed was fine. The desk clerk, Carolyn, was lovely. The beach was great.

However.

No air conditioning.

No hair dryer.

Dirty pool.

They booked us into a single queen room, event though I said we were a couple with a toddler. Then they charged 10 dollars for a rollaway.

Just things to consider.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We've stayed at the Ambassador every summer for years and have always had a great time! The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and it's so nice to be able to take our little dogs on vacation with us! We've never had anything but a positive experience at the Ambassador--including this summer--June 2012. Thank you Ambassador for making our vacations always so pleasant and memorable. Our family will see you soon!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Advantages:
- On the border to Nevada (if you're looking to gamble)
- Within walking distance of a nice beach
- Good TV channels
- Rooms were adequate. Large room but dated decor and furniture.

Disadvantages:
- Brian at the frontdesk was incredibly rude and unhelpful. He wouldn't give us any information on on the surrounding activities. He complained to us about other guests. He showed us little attention. He did not apologise over the pool closure.
- Pool was closed due to pollen from the trees. When it re-opened we were advised not to swim in it by the cleaning staff as it was filthy.
- Breakfast was a pastry in a wrapper and a capri sun.
- We were not told of the lovely beach within two minute walk and instead drove for hours.
- Sleep was interrupted by parties during the night.

Would I return? Not until Brian is fired.

Room Tip: Book another hotel. If you must stay here, book a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Livingston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

On reading the last few reviews, I was extremely worried about our forthcoming visit to the Ambassador Motor Lodge, in South Lake Tahoe. My wife arrived at the hotel before me and was greated with a pleasant smile and efficient service. Upon being allocated room 25, she gave the bed matress and surroundings a good looking over. To her delight, no signs of the dreaded bed bugs. Over the course of the 12 nights we were there, I can honestly say we had no major problems at all. The room its self was quite dated, and if you were being ultra picky, I dare say you could find some small faults (light bulb out, coffee maker not working), these were quickly replaced.
Towels were changed daily, as were beds made. Due to the cost of the rooms and it being "presidents weekend", the motel was booked out over this period. As with most motels, their was some noise from the crowds over the weekend. As room 25 was furthest from the reception, free wi-fi could be a bit sketchy at times, but if you sat across at the reception, it was fine. Location wise it is fine as well, A couple of hundred yards from the beach, and likewise highway 50 and the Casinos.

Room Tip: room 25 was fine. Nothing palatial, mind you.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

The stay of two days on February 6 and 7 was paid by Casablanca Express as a free gift for attending to a Time Share presentation. When we arrived we were aslked to give a credit card in case there was any incidentals to be added to tyhe room cost. When we looked at the room, we were shocked to see the condition of the floors in the bedroom and the bathroom. The door to the outside did not appear to have a lock, and had a 3/4 inch gap, so you can see inside the room through it, and you can feel the cold coming into the room from the outside. The chairs looked very dirty and impresion was so bad, we immediatly decided t cancel the stay, and went to a nearby Hotel to get better accomodations. We gave the keys back to the Hotel Clerk and let her know of our decision to leave and why.
A few days later I noticed that a charge was made to my Credit Card for the two day stay. Could not a hold of anyone at the Lodge to get an explanation, but finally contacted Casablanca Express and got them to promise to credit the charge for the room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweet Home, Oregon, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I checked into this place after a 10 hour drive. It was dark by that time, parking lot was under lite, There was a lot of rowdy people handing out outside there rooms. Walked into my room and was taken back by the smell of smoke. There was a non smoking sign on the door, but wasn't stated on my reservation. I've stayed in places like this before, was to tired to go complain about it. Next morning I started calling around for a hotel down in Reno that I usually stayed at, and cut my loss with the two nights I paid for. When I got home I wrote a review similar to this on travalocity who i booked through. A couple weeks later when my credit card bill came in there was bogus charges on it. The motel Charged me $300 and $4 dollars on separate transactions. The room was paid to travelocity but a card was needed for incidentals. I called immediately and the front desk said the charge was for smoking, but he'd never seen a charge so high, and didn't understand what damage caused $300 dollars. He asked me to call back after 3 pm to talk to manager. I did so and the manager said he'd call me back later after talking to the owner, since I did not smoke inside the room, and it was a preexisting condition when I checked in. It was even stated in picture messages dated 5 minutes after I checked in to numerous friends. I stated "place is kinda s****y and smells like smoke". I had to call back Monday and the manager answered. He stated he talked to the owner. They have had issues with smoking in the room and want to put a stop to it. Well it was not me, why should I pay for something the housekeeping staff should have noticed prior to my arrival, at least left the windows open to air it out. That's what I did when I left the room before coming back for the 2nd night, and seemed to help. They claimed there was complaints of me smoking in room, and staff saw me smoking in the room. It is ridiculous. That doesn't even make since, when I was there the blinds and door was closed. Not to mention I was only in the roach motel to sleep and shower. Everything was booked in Reno for the 2nd night of my stay. I have complaints in with the Better Business Bureu for Reno\Tahoe area, and fraud alert with my credit card company. The have yet to respond, though it is going on 2 months since my stay. Can't wait to take these people to small claims court.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambassador Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!