“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Houston, Texas
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We rented this suite through www.VRBO.com Marriott Grand Residence Club Rental # 163637 the first week of August 2010. It was more than we'd even hoped for in light of available photos on their website.

Convenient to excellent low-key breakfast and dinner restaurants.

We primarily went to Lake Tahoe as base for several hiking day trips. (Rugged activity during the day and pampered restoration at night!) In particular, Emigrant Lake and Lake Margaret trails. Beautiful scenery without crowds. Be sure to take the gondola all the way to the top then hike from there. Be aware that incoming inclement weather that may be hours away will force you to return to base.

Shakespeare Festival was going on at the time ... fantastic performance. Although it had rained during the day, we'd reserved the 'adirondack chair' seats which were lower and provided a bit of a windbreak. We dressed warmly and brought a bottle of wine (it's BYOB.) Fun evening celebrating our anniversary.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom and kitcen room. Just huge for the four of us. The kitchen was well appointed. Supermarket across the road is great and well stocked too.

Hotel staff were very nice and accomodating (we extended our stay another night). From memory, the self-laundry was free.

Great location right next to the Gondola to Heavenley, or to catch the bus around the California Mountain. Also in the building are ski hire and ski school offices, most offer a discount to Hotel guests. Pool and spa were outdoor and heated.

Only a 5 min walk down to the lake.

Excellent choice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010 via mobile

It's only Day Two but the Title says it all. Valet gave us great rec first night to have dinner @ Nefellis and tonight is the cozy Italian place next to it - Cafe Fiore - also highly recommended. Scott @ ski shop was extremely helpful - as is the Concierge Ron. Front desk has also been very helpful w business services. The bed in the studio is supposed to be a Queen but its tiny - a miniature queen - definitely more like a full - not too comfy for two people. No self parking is available - only valet for $24/day + tips. Otherwise a very nice place - seems quite new.

• Stayed December 2010
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010 via mobile

We have been here twice now and have enjoyed the stay just us much the second time. We were just a little too early for the first winter snowfall so the area was quiet, just how we like it. The gondola is just next door and it takes you up the mountain to the best views in the area. We stayed for 3 nights on a long tour of California and this hotel was one of the most memorable. Good area, clean, friendly staff, plenty of choice of shops and restaurants. Casinos a short walk or drive if it is cold. We had minus 2 degrees but it was beautiful there.

• Stayed November 2010
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

I would highly recommend staying at the Grand Residence Club there in South Lake Tahoe over any other accommodations in the area. The staff was professional and courteous. One gentlemen at the front desk, in particular made our stay excellent, his name was Paris. They always greet you by name and work diligently at pleasing the guest. Say hello to Paris for us, when you go there for a trip. Great Stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I booked this hotel after reading many reviews on TA and after posting on the SLT forums. I am very picky about my hotels and my father and his now wife (they were married in Tahoe on 10-18) we going along with me. I was able to secure a Marrriott rewards rate of $89 for them (one bedroom suite) and $112 for me for a 1 bedroom residence. Since I didn't have my kids along I decided to live it up. The hotel didn't disappoint. My room was lovely, it overlooked the gondola at Heavenly Village. I will say the traffic was a bit noisy but with the TV on I barely noticed after awhile. I arrived after a very long day of travel. Jess checked us in quickly and I was in my room within 10 min. I had spoke to her on the phone prior to my trip, she was most helpful with answering my questions and was very nice the day we arrived. Offering to help with anything we needed. The hotel was uncrowded and quiet. My only complaint would be the price to park the car. $24.95 a night. My dad cringed at that amount but it was really convenient. The Valets were all really nice young men and our car was brought up promptly everytime we needed it.

The room was spacious and spotless. There were more than enough towels, soap, shampoos etc. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything you'd need if you wanted to prepare meals. There were 2 large window seats in my room which doubled as beds for children. The location of the hotel is second to none. It was convenient to the grocery store (Raley's) Starbucks, cold stone, the movie theaters are right behind the hotel and there were many shops to browse in. Overall, I have to say it was an excellent stay and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a first class place. I know there were other hotels to choose from but this one suited our needs.

Thank you to Tim, Connie and Jess for making our stay top notch. We'll be back!!

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

There are a LOT of places to stay in South Lake Tahoe, but very few places that are really nice. While that suited me fine as a starving college student now I prefer someplace more convenient and with more creature comforts. The Marriott Grand Residence fits the bill. It is definitely one of he nicest places in all of Lake Tahoe. For Heavenly skiers, it in the middle of the Heavenly Village and is adjacent to the Heavenly gondola and even has a ski valet. (Use the ski valet at the gondola! The staff may stop you if you try to carry your skis or board to your room.)

The Marriott is right in the middle of everything in South Lake; it is a few steps to the casinos, restaurants, shops, and the grocery store.

The rooms vary in size and configuration (studios through 3-bedrooms), but most have full kitchens, balconies, free WiFi, fireplaces and flat screen TVs. The property also has free laundry, sauna, steam room, hot tubs, pool, ice skating rink and more. The beds are comfortable, too. The staff was friendly on check-in and check-out. They only have valet parking, though, and the cost is $22 per day so be prepared for that extra charge.

Try to avoid Lake Tahoe during the holidays as *all* the hotels become really overpriced. Rates are much better with a search through Trip Advisor than directly through Marriott. This resort is actually timeshares that Marriott manages; you can sometimes rent directly from the owners and save quite a bit. Keep in mind that even direct from the owners a cleaning fee on checkout applies.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!