“Everything exactly right!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Everything exactly right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Marriott Grand Residences in South Tahoe. It was off-season and the entire place was quiet but the staff did not lose their commitment to excellent customer service. Everyone from valet, desk staff, and especially concierge were on target, making us feel at home. The units were really well-equipped and spacious. I felt the decor was perfect but apparently they will be renovating next year as they do this every 10 years. Great location within a complex that included some nice restaurants, a brewpub and every type of service you could ask for. The pool was fantastic as well with two large hot tubs and protected from the wind. All in all, I couldn't ask for more.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AKTennisNut

Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Jeez, you would have thought that paying for parking is a novel concept at the Grand Residence Club. The fixation on the parking fee is unfathomable to me since the entire Heavenly Village has nothing but pay parking garages. Chill out if you are supposed to be on vacation and quit majoring in the minors. I gladly pay the $26 parking for the convenience of having my car inside out of the elements and readily available whenever I need it. If you don't want to pay for that then it is real easy to park at Harrah's and walk over to the Grand Residence Club. Of course, then there would be something else to complain about. End of commentary on people who can't enjoy life without obsessing on the inconsequential.

Back to what is important - I look forward to every trip back to the Grand Residence Club because every thing is done right. From the valet parking (oh no not paid parking again) to the rooms themselves. What some don't understand is that these are fractional ownership units that are rented to others. If you expect this to be a conventional hotel then you need to pack your things and head over to Harvey's or Harrah's. For my $$$ the Grand Residence Club gives you more bang for the buck and is the only place I stay at in SLT. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with upscale furniture and appliances. The grounds are immaculate and the staff is at your beck and call. Want to catch a quick meal - there are several restaurants in the village that are very good. Catch a movie at the onsite theater and do your shopping at the Raleys across the street. With all these positives I completely enjoy every time I visit.

I like the solitude of Lake Tahoe - the less the crowds the better. So, please stay away as the parking is ridiculous (it will give me more room to play). ;)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great location next to the Heavenly ski gondola. Good sized, well appointed rooms with an excellent kitchenette. The very helpful and friendly concierge staff was always on hand to help. But the place is ruined by their parking fees. Considering how much I pay for a room, paying $26 for the parking is farcical. OK, I can park in the casino lot 10 minutes away, but why should I?? The bellhops even tried to move us on when I tried to drop off someone with our skis. Is that how you treat paying customers, even if they don't own the condo?? Storage of skis was also a joke. Free storage in a nearby shop, but it didn't open until 8, no use if you wanted to drive to another ski area. And $6 to leave your skis in the bellhop area!! It was all a cynical money making exercise that needs to be sorted out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Skiranger
Hayward
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We usually go to Northstar, but we wanted to try a 4/5 star hotel that had ski in/ski out amenity in Tahoe. I believe SquawCreek, Northstar, and Heavenly are the only ones. So we tried Marriott Grand at Heavenly. We stayed there before, but didn't ski. Now with a 6 & 8 year old skiers, having the ski in/out amenity was highly desirable to me. Location: perfect. Ski in/out, casino next door, across street from Lake (Heavenly has best Lake Tahoe views), and Heavenly Village has plenty to do/shop/eat right out your property. Property Pros: 1) warm pool/2 hot tubs open to 10pm, sauna and steam room open 24 hrs; 2) great service; 3) kids activities; 4) ski rentals downstairs. Cons: 1) Internet speed super slow; 2) rooms have small windows/minimal views; 3) on the high side of 4 star hotel cost; 4) not a true resort, renting out fractional units and have no poolside or room service. Summary: Highly Recommend! Just bring your own WiFi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stonebrae
El Diente, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location is nice, but then again there are a number of nice and nicer accomodations in the immediate walking area. Marriott will charge you an additional $26/day to park your car, and if you complain to Marriott HQ afterwards you will receive a nice email explaining that it's out of their control as the facility is not actually owned by Marriott.

Otherwise, it's a decent hotel but nothing special.

Room Tip: You can find a nice room for a lot less across the street at the Harvey's Casino. The rooms don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HardyTack
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as it seemed to be the only gig in town for a 'top notch' place to stay. Its a quite nice spot. The location is key - you literally walk out the side door and get onto the gondola to go up to the top of Heavenly.

Rooms are nice enough but nothing special. Kitchen facilities have all that you need/want (coffee maker/microwave/fridge etc). There wasn't really a view from our room as we looked out over the hot tubs (there are two communal ones as well as a decent sized pool).

Nearby there is a full sized grocery store and an above average selection of restaurants so you don't have to go drive anywhere if you don't want to at the end of a ski day.

The chocolate chip cookies that were at the front desk were a nice touch. Valet parking is about the only minus as I personally am not really a fan of it - it always feels like you have to figure out whether its worth 5 bucks to get out and in with your vehicle to tip the guys. I also don't like people driving my vehicle. That said, there were no problems, its just not my thing.

For the quality of the rooms, it was a bit pricey so I didn't put value as being great but it is very convenient so still gave it a 'very good' overall.

Apparently, the Spa is nice in terms of getting massage at the end of a ski day - I didn't use it by my friend did and said it was quite good albeit it a tad pricey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eud
San Mateo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We normally go to North Lake Tahoe but had friends in from Mexico and they had already booked at the Marriott Grand Residence Club so we decided to book in the same place. What we really liked was how well it was integrated into the skiing experience. Rented equipment right there (they give you a discount coupon - 20% off), valet for skis included when you drop off between days and then you walk 50 feet (maybe less) to get to the Gondola and you are on top of the mountain skiing. So, first and foremost is location.

Service was very nice. They charged $26 to valet (unlimited in/outs) for vehicle and shopping right across the street. Room has a full kitchen so we got plenty of food across the street and cooked up a feast with our friends.

The room. We had a Queen, which was a little small. No desk in the room to set up my computer, it has a table and chairs set up as a dining room though which can work. I had some work to do apres-ski, so the good news is that wi-fi was included and although not the fasted connection, it worked well enough for my email needs. I ended up sitting othe coach near the window and it was very drafty (this was ONLY real negative).

Our friends rented a three room suite (Master Bedroom for them - one King, living room and kitchen in middel with connecting room to two queen beds for the kids. Next time, we are getting a bigger room and spreading out (especially if we stay more nights).

We didn't use the pool, but they have a heated pool. We ate most of our meals in room (cooking) so no additional restaurant recommendations. But as for the hotel, very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
#6 of 70 in South Lake Tahoe
4.5 of 5 stars 180 reviews

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!