“Good service, except for parking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi For Members
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Scotland
“Good service, except for parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great location next to the Heavenly ski gondola. Good sized, well appointed rooms with an excellent kitchenette. The very helpful and friendly concierge staff was always on hand to help. But the place is ruined by their parking fees. Considering how much I pay for a room, paying $26 for the parking is farcical. OK, I can park in the casino lot 10 minutes away, but why should I?? The bellhops even tried to move us on when I tried to drop off someone with our skis. Is that how you treat paying customers, even if they don't own the condo?? Storage of skis was also a joke. Free storage in a nearby shop, but it didn't open until 8, no use if you wanted to drive to another ski area. And $6 to leave your skis in the bellhop area!! It was all a cynical money making exercise that needs to be sorted out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Skiranger

Hayward
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We usually go to Northstar, but we wanted to try a 4/5 star hotel that had ski in/ski out amenity in Tahoe. I believe SquawCreek, Northstar, and Heavenly are the only ones. So we tried Marriott Grand at Heavenly. We stayed there before, but didn't ski. Now with a 6 & 8 year old skiers, having the ski in/out amenity was highly desirable to me. Location: perfect. Ski in/out, casino next door, across street from Lake (Heavenly has best Lake Tahoe views), and Heavenly Village has plenty to do/shop/eat right out your property. Property Pros: 1) warm pool/2 hot tubs open to 10pm, sauna and steam room open 24 hrs; 2) great service; 3) kids activities; 4) ski rentals downstairs. Cons: 1) Internet speed super slow; 2) rooms have small windows/minimal views; 3) on the high side of 4 star hotel cost; 4) not a true resort, renting out fractional units and have no poolside or room service. Summary: Highly Recommend! Just bring your own WiFi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stonebrae
El Diente, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location is nice, but then again there are a number of nice and nicer accomodations in the immediate walking area. Marriott will charge you an additional $26/day to park your car, and if you complain to Marriott HQ afterwards you will receive a nice email explaining that it's out of their control as the facility is not actually owned by Marriott.

Otherwise, it's a decent hotel but nothing special.

Room Tip: You can find a nice room for a lot less across the street at the Harvey's Casino. The rooms don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HardyTack
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as it seemed to be the only gig in town for a 'top notch' place to stay. Its a quite nice spot. The location is key - you literally walk out the side door and get onto the gondola to go up to the top of Heavenly.

Rooms are nice enough but nothing special. Kitchen facilities have all that you need/want (coffee maker/microwave/fridge etc). There wasn't really a view from our room as we looked out over the hot tubs (there are two communal ones as well as a decent sized pool).

Nearby there is a full sized grocery store and an above average selection of restaurants so you don't have to go drive anywhere if you don't want to at the end of a ski day.

The chocolate chip cookies that were at the front desk were a nice touch. Valet parking is about the only minus as I personally am not really a fan of it - it always feels like you have to figure out whether its worth 5 bucks to get out and in with your vehicle to tip the guys. I also don't like people driving my vehicle. That said, there were no problems, its just not my thing.

For the quality of the rooms, it was a bit pricey so I didn't put value as being great but it is very convenient so still gave it a 'very good' overall.

Apparently, the Spa is nice in terms of getting massage at the end of a ski day - I didn't use it by my friend did and said it was quite good albeit it a tad pricey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eud
San Mateo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We normally go to North Lake Tahoe but had friends in from Mexico and they had already booked at the Marriott Grand Residence Club so we decided to book in the same place. What we really liked was how well it was integrated into the skiing experience. Rented equipment right there (they give you a discount coupon - 20% off), valet for skis included when you drop off between days and then you walk 50 feet (maybe less) to get to the Gondola and you are on top of the mountain skiing. So, first and foremost is location.

Service was very nice. They charged $26 to valet (unlimited in/outs) for vehicle and shopping right across the street. Room has a full kitchen so we got plenty of food across the street and cooked up a feast with our friends.

The room. We had a Queen, which was a little small. No desk in the room to set up my computer, it has a table and chairs set up as a dining room though which can work. I had some work to do apres-ski, so the good news is that wi-fi was included and although not the fasted connection, it worked well enough for my email needs. I ended up sitting othe coach near the window and it was very drafty (this was ONLY real negative).

Our friends rented a three room suite (Master Bedroom for them - one King, living room and kitchen in middel with connecting room to two queen beds for the kids. Next time, we are getting a bigger room and spreading out (especially if we stay more nights).

We didn't use the pool, but they have a heated pool. We ate most of our meals in room (cooking) so no additional restaurant recommendations. But as for the hotel, very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leventhald
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We are members of Marriott Vacation Club and own at the Timber Lodge which is just next door. I thought we would try something different this year, since I was told this place has a higher rating. We traded into the Grand Residence on Marriott destination points. We booked a 2 bedroom unit. Upon arriving into our room I was very dissapointed. This unit is so much smaller than the 2 bedroom units at the Timber Lodge. When you open the sofa bed in the living area you cannot even move around in the room. We did not have adequate drawer space in any of the bedrooms. We did not even have a drawer in the nightstand to put things. I went down to the front desk and spoke to management about a room change. They told me that there are only a few rooms available at Grand Residence using destination points and the few rooms that they had were occupied. I even offered to pay more money for an upgrade and even said I would give up more destination points but they said this was not an option at this time. The one plus to this place is that the employees are very nice and try to be very helpful. I would not stay at this property again unless I was booked into a penthouse unit. I would also recommend not trading into this place using destination points because there is no flexibility if you have a problem with the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank jill s
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My friends and I went to ski vacation at the end of February. We could not have made a better choice of hotels! Its location is just perfect – a few steps from the Heavenly gondola. You do not have to carry skis with you – for the hotel residents there is a free valet storage in the store right across the gondola. For five people we had a two-bedroom, three room, spacious suite with full kitchen that sleeps 6. Each room had a flat screen TV. All rooms are connected but have separate entrances. The hotel provides free internet service (the speed is not great though). The staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating. After skiing we enjoyed the sauna and the steam room which were good and clean. If I ever go to Heavenly for skiing, the Marriott Grand Residence Club would be the hotel of choice.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
Postmarc Hotel and Spa Suites
#6 of 70 in South Lake Tahoe
4.5 of 5 stars 175 reviews

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!