“Nice, but as a timeshare trade, go for Marriott's Timber Lodge next door” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe

You added Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe to your Saves list
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 Heavenly Village Way, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Francisco, California
“Nice, but as a timeshare trade, go for Marriott's Timber Lodge next door”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We are Marriott owners and traded into the Grand Residence through Interval International. Last year we traded one of our weeks for a 2 bedroom at Timber Lodge. This year we thought we would try the Grand Residence for a change. Even though these are both Marriott properties, there are some differences.

When we arrived at the Grand Residence, we went to our room and found it was directly over the entrance to the car park. Our balcony sat right over where the valets park the cars. We were unable to use the balcony because of this. Outside the living room windows was the intake/outflow of air for the building, causing the room to have an odd odor the entire time we were there. At first, when I walked into the room, I thought it was a garbage smell. It never went away. I couldn't open the windows because of this smell. I had to buy a lavender scented candle to try and mask the odor. We went downstairs to the front desk to try and change our room. We were told since we traded through interval international we were stuck with the room.
When we stayed at Timber Lodge last year, we asked to trade rooms because we were on the top of the building where the roof is slanted and the windows are small. There was no problem changing rooms at the Timber Lodge......this is the first difference between the two properties.

The cost of parking at the Grand Residence is $26. per day. It doesn't matter if you own other Marriott properties, you pay anyway. At the Timber Lodge, if you are an owner at other Marriott properties, they waive the fee for parking......difference number two.

These are my two gripes about the Grand Residence and the reason I gave the property 4 stars instead of 5. The smell of the room being what bothered me the most. When I asked the maid about it, she offered to spray an air freshener. (there is no maid service with a timeshare trade, she was working on another room where the guests did have maid service.)

Now to the excellent parts of this property. 5 stars all the way for:

The front desk staff, especially Benjamin who couldn't be more kind, understanding, and professional when I was grumbling about the room location and parking fee.

The friendly, fast, valets.

The provisions in the kitchen, everything you would need to stay in and cook the entire week you are there. (if you fancy that)

The room itself. We had a 1 bedroom, 2 bath unit. It was spacious and clean. Everything was in working order, the furniture was comfortable, the carpets clean, the big flat screened TV's with HD, the flip of a switch fireplace, and the cozy bed, made our stay most comfortable.

The gym had everything you need. We went the first day and decided why are we inside? Walking around town was our exercise the rest of the triip. The outside mountain fresh air does wonders for your mind and body.

There was a nice looking pool and hot tubs. We didn't use them, but did see other happily soaking in the hot tubs.

The location of the property. You could park your car and leave it the whole week, as you can walk everywhere......grocery shopping at Ralleys across the street, the gondola a few minutes, walk, the casinos a five minute walk, lots of shops and restaurants right there.

Marriott's Grand Residence Club was a very nice place to stay. However, for the two reasons mentioned above, the parking fee and the room location with no chance to change rooms, we will stay at Marriotts Timber Lodge next time.

Room Tip: If you have a chance to pick your room, choose one away from the main street and the valet parking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I can't say enough about the experience we had at the Grand Residences by Marriot in Tahoe. Me and my wife thought of Tahoe as our highlight of the Bay area/north Cali trip we just took, and this hotel was definltely a major part of that.

We got to check in early, (without request), were given ANY information we requested from the very courteous staff. Our room was magnificent (one bedroom suite) , it comes with ample space, balcony, view of the very nice pool/hot tubs, a huge pull out bed, 2 flat screens, full kitchen and more. Valet was always prompt and car ready by the time we got down. The location was BY FAR the best point, walking distance from : Casinos, Lake, Kayaking (hotel provided us coupons), Raley's multi-purpose store, at the base of the Heavenly Gondola and many more food (subway, blue dog, basecamp pizza etc) and drink options.

The pool /hottubs were amazing ! tons of chairs, perfect water temperature, and theres even a bonfire pit too where you can sit around at night and tell funny/ghost stories while sipping on something :) .

The Spa was excellent (according to wife) where she got pampered with a massage and facial (75 minutes for $120 combined). We were a part of the Heavenly village, and felt safe throughout our stay walking and roaming the main streets (even at night).

ONE CON : the vending machines wouldnt take any of our bills ($1, $5, $20) so unless you have exact change or bank-fresh notes dont bother, we just walked to Raley's and stocked up on everything anyways.

All in all the Grand Residences at Tahoe by far exceeded expectations, and we are already planning our next trip with my brothers family for the 2013 summer and you can bet we're staying here !!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a one bedroom at the least, and view facing the pool is really nice !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Basseterre, St. Kitts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our first stay at a Grand Residence with two other couples was great, the 2 bedroom loft unit was large and included a second story living room (which could be another bedroom), 3 bathrooms, and a very well stocked kitchen. The location was convenient to a grocery store, many restaurants and a short walk to the casinos if that is your game. We received outstanding service and assistance from Connie at the concierge station and highly recommend her to future guests. Connie had a coupon or discount to every restaurant or attraction we went on and saved our group hundreds of dollars during the week. This was restaurant week in the Tahoe area and the participating restaurants were outstanding - highly recommend this week for travel if you enjoy dining out.

Room Tip: We liked the view of the pool which also included a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I took my young daughter and my mother here for the weekend at the end of September 2012, and we all had the best time! For the 3 of us, the 2 bedroom/3 bath was almost too huge for us. We loved it all. The two fireplaces, jacuzzi, comfy beds, large balcony, kitchen, and a great view of the gondola from our rooms 3238/3240/3242. The rooms are set up so that the Master King Bed bedroom is on side of the main living area, and the 2 Queen Bed bedroom was on the other. We had one fireplace in the main living area, and the other fireplace was in the Master - my daughter really enjoyed the fireplaces, since we don't ever use ours at home. The jacuzzi tub, of course, was in the Master as well. Although the kitchen was fairly small, it was more than adequate. We mainly used the refrigerator and microwave. My mother commented on how large the refrigerator was. We enjoyed the heated pool once. It's a nice resort pool and was not crowded at all. The front desk said the place was almost fully booked, but it felt very empty to me! We did have an occasion to use the washer/dryer, which was down the hallway on the same floor - nice GE front load w/ds - 2 sets of each (laundry detergent can be requested from the front desk).

Not only was the hotel room fantastic, the location was top notch. Everything was within walking distance for us. We walked across the street to the Raley's to get groceries, since we had a full kitchen - wow, how convenient is that? The first night, we played miniature golf, which was next door. We then later took a stroll towards stateline, which was just a few minutes walk away. The next day, we took the gondola up, enjoyed the views, took a ride to the summit via chair lift, and did some tubing. The weather was beautiful (mid 70's!) on the mountain that day. We also took a stroll twice to the private beach that Marriott gave us access to (about 10 minute walk), where my daughter enjoyed the playground on the beach, and I enjoyed the beauty of Lake Tahoe and the sunset. On the last day, we took the Duck Tour, which was located next door, and this gave us an opportunity to get on the water, as well as to see things on the main street. I just called the concierge, Connie, and she set up the duck tour for me since they didn't offer online bookings. The weather this weekend was ideal for me, ranging from 75 to 80 highs and 35-40 lows. We just wore light jackets in the evening.

We thoroughly enjoyed the mountain air and the overall roominess of the 2 bedroom suite offered here. This was certainly the largest hotel suite I've ever stayed in, with over 1000+ sq feet of space for 3 people. Everyone working at the hotel was very professional. Valet and Bellman services were very prompt, and though valet service was expensive ($26/nite), it was definitely nice to have. I am not much for staying at the same hotel more than once, but I might make an exception with this hotel. My daughter is already asking when we will be returning!

Ok, what about negatives? We experienced only two issues - 1. my request for laundry detergent had to be made twice - took almost 45 minutes total to get it (someone forgot). 2. master shower - the door wouldn't close all the way, and thus, it leaked. But, we just put a towel down and didn't worry about it; this was just a minor detail that I didn't bother mentioning it til after we checked out, since I was only there 2 nights. Other than these 2 small issues, we loved everything, and would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We specifically requested for and was thrilled to have a gondola view - we had a 2 bedroom and it wa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have stayed at both the Timber Lodge and The Grand Residence. The Timber Lodge feels more 'grand' and 'upscale' to me. The room we stayed at in The Grand Residence only had 2 windows and felt dark to me. The room was very nice (at GR), we had a 1 bedroom unit and there were 2 couches with sleepers in the family room- so plenty of room for a family - you would only need a 1 bedroom unit there. At the Timber Lodge we had a 2 bedroom unit and it had bigger windows and just felt brighter. Timber Lodge is slightly closer to Harvey's and Harrah's (for gambling, shows, buffet (at Harrah's is good for brunch on Sundays.) Tip - ask the concierge at the Marriott where to eat, a lot of places offer discounts. Everything (and I mean everything (grocery store, starbucks, tons of places to eat, stores (Northface store!)) is walking distance - even the lake is walking distance (about 4 blocks or so) and the Heavenly Gondola is right at the Hotel. Great Location, best place to stay in Tahoe hands down. I'm a hotel snob and you can't go wrong staying at either the Timber Lodge or Grand Residence. Remember they are timeshares when you book though - limited room cleanings, etc come with the territory. But, you also get full kitchens with the 1 or 2 bedrooms units. No laundry unit in our room at the GR, but we did have one at the Timber Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask the concierge for discounts on food/gambling/shows/drinks. Casinos are walking distance as is e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I recently had a stay at this property and were very impressed. If they had a 4.5 star rating I would give it that. I can't give it a five as it is light on amenities, being a timeshare property, so no room service for example. Large units, well located, tons to do near by, short block to casinos, supermarket across the street, movie theater next door, gondola out back, etc.... Also, tons of restaurants within 200 yards. It's also quiet with not a lot of people roaming about. I noticed next door, at the Marriott TimberLodge that the lobby looked like Grand Central Station, when I went to get a newspaper. Was nice to get back to our side of the block! Anyway, we recommend it.

Room Tip: Back of property away from the main street as it's a touch loud.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

On travelling around Cali we decided to change our hotel in Tahoe the day before arrival. We booked through an online booking agent and got a large room with 2 bathrooms for approx £180 for 2 nights. Huge room with a kitchen, living room and two bathrooms. All very nice in a clasical style. We couldn't believe the size and standard of the room and hotel for the price we payed. The hotel is in a excellent location for walking to the lake. This is probably the best value for money room we've ever stayed in and it made up for the $26 per day parking charge!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!