“Unbelievable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Concord, California
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

If you want a place which fulfills your every desire, look no more. Location is great and the amenities are without peers in the area. First class all the way, settle for nothing less.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

This was our second visit to Heavenly, our first was 5 years earlier and we stayed at Forest suites nearby. We were looking to stay there again but found we only needed to pay a little extra if we booked through Heavenly Village Condos and had a far superior unit.

We saved roughly a third on the standard Marriott rate for a 2 bed unit (although the one we had (3251) was nearly twice the size of a standard unit) and had valet parking included free of charge. There was a large(6') king bed in the master and two kings (5') in the 2nd bedroom. In addition there were 2 double sofa beds in the living room so could feasibly sleep 10. Indeed there was enough crockery/cutlery for 10 and the main dining table could seat 10. There were Tv's in the living area and both bedrooms and hairdryers in all (3) bathrooms. The master bathroom had twin sinks, a large whirlpool bath and a large steam/shower cubicle but the steam aspect of it didn't seem to work too well according to husband. We didn't have any maid service or cleaning but there were enough towels plus stuff like dishwasher tablets for the week's stay.

There isn't much more to be said than hasn't been said already about this place; location is fantastic - a few steps from the unit's front door takes you to the elevator and a few steps from exiting on the ground floor takes you to the ski shop where you can leave your skis overnight for free. Leave the shop by the front door and you are straight onto the gondola. It's about a 10 minute walk down to the lake shore,

Raley's supermarket, the cinema and shops/cafes restaurants are all within 5 minutes walk.

The hottubs were hot but the pool was freezing - I am a very picky person and apart from the keycards sometimes not working in the lifts but in the unit door and vice versa, this was honestly the only thing I could find to moan about!

Tips:
Visit the concierge and you'll be a given a map with all the restaurants within walking distance marked on it and a separate list will give you a list of outlets (including many restaurants) that give Marriott guests a discount on the bill.

Food on mountain is very expensive e.g. burger (no fries) $13, slice of pizza $8 although we thought the quality much better than Breckenridge where we styayed last year. We bought a "Mountain Meal Card" in advance from the Heavenly website which was waiting at reception for us when we arrived . We loaded the card with $200 dollars but 20% more was added on free so $240 worth for $200. Every little helps as they say!

If you're coming from the UK check out Skisafariextras.com and americanskiclassics.com for lift tickets. At the time we went (3-10th April) we saved 50% compared to the advance purchase price on the Heavenly website.

In all a great week, with great skiing as the snow was fantastic but end of week very cold and windy!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

OMG it's beautiful! We got a 2 bedroom 3 bath villa and everything 's complete! All you need is a toothbrush! Even the kitchen's complete! I'm so impressed. It's home away from home. It's great
savings cause you can fit 6, cook your own food, 2 fireplace( 1 in the kitchen/ living room and 1 in master's bedroom). Did i tell you that the bathtub in the 3rd bath is a jacuzzi?!!

• Stayed April 2011
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We usually stayed in Timber Lodge when we went to Tahoe and we loved it. This time we chose Grand Residence and we were even happier than we stayed at Timber Lodge until the accident happened. The staffs were nicer. The one bedroom suite had a murphy bed and a sofa bed. It could sleep 6 people.

We found every wood furniture was covered with a piece of clear glass. The glass slid on the wood surface easily with sharp 90 degree angle. Dining table, coffee tables and night stands. I told my 5-year-old to watch out these glasses. Nothing happened until the night before we left. She hit on the corner of a coffee table glass and cried terribly. It was a point bruise. (It's been 2 weeks and she still felt the hurt.)

We told the staff what happened when we checked out next morning. The staff said they would improve this situation. We really like this hotel and really hope they can improve. They should put anti-slide pads under the glass. This will decrease the chance of accidents. Also, they should put protections around these 90 degree angles of the glass. I cannot imagine if someday a toddler cruises around the coffee table and the glass slides out and hits the baby on the face, or even the eyes. Of course the best way is to get rid of these clear glasses. But I assume they put these glasses to protect the surface of wood furniture. They are pretty good furniture after all. If anyone stays in this hotel after reading this review and finds they do have improvement on this safety issue, please write a review to let us know. We really would go back as long as they improve this. But before the improvement, no, thank you, I would not risk my daughter and whole family's safety again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here for three nights to get a little spring skiing ahead of a tour of Northern California. Whilst disappointed with the skiing at Heavenly ( and shocked at the lift ticket prices , Courchevel is half the price for three times the skiing) and the town itself we couldn't fault where we stayed. We had a 2 bed apartment which was perfect for a family of four ( altho apparently it easily sleeps 8) , the staff were very friendly and helpful. My daughter (6) didn't want to ski too much and spent her time in the kiddy activity centre at Timber lodge doing some great creative workshops. The pool and hot tubs are great and the fitness centre has everything you need. Slightly annoying is the valet parking ( and expensive) but whilst we won't be back to Heavenly/South Lake Tahoe I fully recommend staying at the Marriott Grande.

• Stayed April 2011
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just returned from our 7 day stay at The Grand Residence Club in Lake Tahoe. I recommend checking vrbo.com, you'll get a better deal by reserving with a private owner than reserving through Marriott directly. I had never done this before, but it was very easy and painless. Plus, you'll save $25 a day for valet parking.
The location is probably the best feature of the hotel. It's literally right in the middle of everything you'd want to do in S. Lake Tahoe. Walk to the Gondola, shops, grocery store, movie theater, ice rink, and more. The casinos are only about 2 blocks away. The pool and hot tub was very nice, and most rooms have private balconies. There's a well-stocked kitchen, so you can cook if you don't like to eat out. There's no daily housekeeping, but you can pay a small fee for cleaning services. We were there for 7 days and never felt the need for the cleaning. The staff is really friendly and helpful. My only complaint was I could never get comfortable with the bed pillows...if you're sensitive about pillows, bring one from home.
Overall, we had a terrific experience, and would definitely stay again if we return to Tahoe!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

If I were to rank the Marriot Grand Residence Club in South Lake Tahoe, I would rank it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. The facilities are very nice but there were a few things I found to be quite a nuisance. See below.
Our “Great View” - We asked for a studio with a view (if possible) of the mountain and customer service said they would put it in the request. We then reminded the girl at the front desk when we checked in and she reassured us that we had a great room with a great view. When we got to the room and looked outside of our window, our “great view” was of the gondola... which I guess to some people is considered a “great view?”; since we are from New York City we don’t get to see much of the outdoors and was looking forward to a mountain view; I wish they just told us that they couldn’t accommodate our request
Kitchen – the kitchen was very small which I expected since we stayed in a studio; however, the table in the kitchen took up half the space; it got worse because we had to move it towards the walkway in order to open the refrigerator and the closet; they should get a smaller table for the kitchens in the studio
Bedroom –I found it odd that there wasn’t a full dresser in the room; the tv sat on a 2 drawer dresser but it was very small and only one person’s clothes could fit their clothes in that space; as mentioned above, there was a closet in the room and it did have shelves to put clothes on but it was a nuisance to get to because the door would keep on hitting the dining table when we opened it
Bathroom – The shower space was very small and there was no shelf space to put your toiletries if you wanted to bring it in the shower; the one option you had was to bring down the handicap seat but that took up half the shower space if you did that; the pressure in the shower head was also very strange because there was never consistent pressure, there was always one side that had pressure and one side that kept going on and off; the bathroom door was also very heavy and did not stay open unless we put a chair there to keep it open; this was a problem because there was also no fan in our bathroom so it would get very muggy in the bathroom if we did not air it out by propping the door open using the chair
Concierge/Customer Service – concierge was not very helpful; I tried calling them to schedule a snowmobiling tour and they were not there in the morning before we went to ski; the front desk had 2 options but they were apparently very busy the day I tried to call them because they just gave me two numbers to call and told me I should book it myself; what is the point of having a concierge if they aren’t there when you need them and you have to make your own appointment?; we also asked concierge for some happy hour recommendations and he looked at us like we had 5 heads and told us about some bar that was a 10 minute drive away; we did not have a car and why would we drive anyway if we were asking for happy hour places?; we asked him for other suggestions that were walking distance and he told us that there were casinos within walking distance (thank you captain obvious); the front desk was also 30 minutes late on a wakeup call one day; luckily I put my alarm on my phone also just in case

Some Pros:
Great Location – right by the gondola and I guess a perk of having that “great view” was to look at how long the line was in the morning; 5 minute walk to the casino
Hot Tub – hot tub is crucial after a long day of skiing and we met so many great people while we were sitting in the hot tub
Discounts – a lot of the stores in the surrounding area (ski stores, clothing stores, restaurants, etc) give you a discount for staying at the Marriot Grand Residence Club; make sure you ask all retailers if they give a discount because there were some which we thought wouldn’t give it to us but they did end up being on the list!
Activities – we got a daily list of activities that the hotel had for its guests; this included family activities, stretching, etc; some were complimentary while others had a small fee; I thought this was great
Free WIFI - fast WIFI internet
Free Laundry - not sure if all floors have this but our floor had a laundry room and it was great so we didn't have to bring back smelly ski clothes

Despite these few things that created a nuisance for me, I believe I would still stay there again. I think my expectations were very high from looking at pictures on the website but I still do believe it is the nicest hotel around the area. We got a great deal with our stay which included lift tickets with our reservation. If you are staying here I just recommend to manage your expectation because it is not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 8 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 stars 1,332 reviews

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!