“Comfortable family base on top of the lift” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
France
“Comfortable family base on top of the lift”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights to get a little spring skiing ahead of a tour of Northern California. Whilst disappointed with the skiing at Heavenly ( and shocked at the lift ticket prices , Courchevel is half the price for three times the skiing) and the town itself we couldn't fault where we stayed. We had a 2 bed apartment which was perfect for a family of four ( altho apparently it easily sleeps 8) , the staff were very friendly and helpful. My daughter (6) didn't want to ski too much and spent her time in the kiddy activity centre at Timber lodge doing some great creative workshops. The pool and hot tubs are great and the fitness centre has everything you need. Slightly annoying is the valet parking ( and expensive) but whilst we won't be back to Heavenly/South Lake Tahoe I fully recommend staying at the Marriott Grande.

• Stayed April 2011

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just returned from our 7 day stay at The Grand Residence Club in Lake Tahoe. I recommend checking vrbo.com, you'll get a better deal by reserving with a private owner than reserving through Marriott directly. I had never done this before, but it was very easy and painless. Plus, you'll save $25 a day for valet parking.
The location is probably the best feature of the hotel. It's literally right in the middle of everything you'd want to do in S. Lake Tahoe. Walk to the Gondola, shops, grocery store, movie theater, ice rink, and more. The casinos are only about 2 blocks away. The pool and hot tub was very nice, and most rooms have private balconies. There's a well-stocked kitchen, so you can cook if you don't like to eat out. There's no daily housekeeping, but you can pay a small fee for cleaning services. We were there for 7 days and never felt the need for the cleaning. The staff is really friendly and helpful. My only complaint was I could never get comfortable with the bed pillows...if you're sensitive about pillows, bring one from home.
Overall, we had a terrific experience, and would definitely stay again if we return to Tahoe!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

If I were to rank the Marriot Grand Residence Club in South Lake Tahoe, I would rank it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. The facilities are very nice but there were a few things I found to be quite a nuisance. See below.
Our “Great View” - We asked for a studio with a view (if possible) of the mountain and customer service said they would put it in the request. We then reminded the girl at the front desk when we checked in and she reassured us that we had a great room with a great view. When we got to the room and looked outside of our window, our “great view” was of the gondola... which I guess to some people is considered a “great view?”; since we are from New York City we don’t get to see much of the outdoors and was looking forward to a mountain view; I wish they just told us that they couldn’t accommodate our request
Kitchen – the kitchen was very small which I expected since we stayed in a studio; however, the table in the kitchen took up half the space; it got worse because we had to move it towards the walkway in order to open the refrigerator and the closet; they should get a smaller table for the kitchens in the studio
Bedroom –I found it odd that there wasn’t a full dresser in the room; the tv sat on a 2 drawer dresser but it was very small and only one person’s clothes could fit their clothes in that space; as mentioned above, there was a closet in the room and it did have shelves to put clothes on but it was a nuisance to get to because the door would keep on hitting the dining table when we opened it
Bathroom – The shower space was very small and there was no shelf space to put your toiletries if you wanted to bring it in the shower; the one option you had was to bring down the handicap seat but that took up half the shower space if you did that; the pressure in the shower head was also very strange because there was never consistent pressure, there was always one side that had pressure and one side that kept going on and off; the bathroom door was also very heavy and did not stay open unless we put a chair there to keep it open; this was a problem because there was also no fan in our bathroom so it would get very muggy in the bathroom if we did not air it out by propping the door open using the chair
Concierge/Customer Service – concierge was not very helpful; I tried calling them to schedule a snowmobiling tour and they were not there in the morning before we went to ski; the front desk had 2 options but they were apparently very busy the day I tried to call them because they just gave me two numbers to call and told me I should book it myself; what is the point of having a concierge if they aren’t there when you need them and you have to make your own appointment?; we also asked concierge for some happy hour recommendations and he looked at us like we had 5 heads and told us about some bar that was a 10 minute drive away; we did not have a car and why would we drive anyway if we were asking for happy hour places?; we asked him for other suggestions that were walking distance and he told us that there were casinos within walking distance (thank you captain obvious); the front desk was also 30 minutes late on a wakeup call one day; luckily I put my alarm on my phone also just in case

Some Pros:
Great Location – right by the gondola and I guess a perk of having that “great view” was to look at how long the line was in the morning; 5 minute walk to the casino
Hot Tub – hot tub is crucial after a long day of skiing and we met so many great people while we were sitting in the hot tub
Discounts – a lot of the stores in the surrounding area (ski stores, clothing stores, restaurants, etc) give you a discount for staying at the Marriot Grand Residence Club; make sure you ask all retailers if they give a discount because there were some which we thought wouldn’t give it to us but they did end up being on the list!
Activities – we got a daily list of activities that the hotel had for its guests; this included family activities, stretching, etc; some were complimentary while others had a small fee; I thought this was great
Free WIFI - fast WIFI internet
Free Laundry - not sure if all floors have this but our floor had a laundry room and it was great so we didn't have to bring back smelly ski clothes

Despite these few things that created a nuisance for me, I believe I would still stay there again. I think my expectations were very high from looking at pictures on the website but I still do believe it is the nicest hotel around the area. We got a great deal with our stay which included lift tickets with our reservation. If you are staying here I just recommend to manage your expectation because it is not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

We recently had a great stay in the Marriott Grand Residence for a three day ski vacation in South Lake Tahoe. We stayed on the fourth floor in a small studio that was quiet, clean and cozy. The room had a refrigerator, stove top, coffee maker, a full assortment of cooking utensils and dishes. The only knock we had on the room was that it was slightly outdated.

The hotel is extremely close to the gondola and ski shops where you can rent and valet your skis at the end of the day. You can also walk to the grocery store, casinos, shops and restaurants. Overall, the hotel had excellent service, was a great value and in the perfect location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom condo overlooking the ski gondola, steps away from ski rental locations and shops. It was beautiful, with two gaslog fireplaces and three flat screen TVs. Service was impeccable, you felt like you had your own personal staff. One thing...fireplaces faced with glass which gets very warm. We were traveling with a toddler who of course was attracted to the fire. There should be screens to prevent anyone touching the glass. Very quiet, even though we were in the middle of all the activity. One complaint is for the rate we paid, I would expect daily maid service to refresh towels. We were calling everyday to get more.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were in room 3100 right off the elevators and in a corner overlooking the pool and jacuzzi. I immediately thought it was going to by noisy but the rooms are quiet. The Gondola is right there. We cook all of our food; the supermarket is right out the back door, next to the ice skating and cinema. You couldn't be closer to everything. Hint for budget travelers the stardust is right across the street. The whirlpool bathtub could fit three. Loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at Marriot Grand Residence for 6 days with my wife in a studio unit, and it was an almost perfect experience! Location couldn't be better, few steps from the gondola, shops, etc. The unit wasn't spacious, but absolutely clean, quiet and very well equipped. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Wireless Internet was free and available everywhere. The only downside was the absence of a free self parking option. The valet parking at the hotel works very well, but it will cost you an extra $24 a day, which together with the room rate will make this hotel a little pricy. But if this is not an issue for you, Marriot is the place to stay in South Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe? Share your experiences!