“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

4th Night Free!
Ranked #20 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked a stay in September on 2/2 then learned in another review that there was no air conditioning. I called 2/3 to cancel the reservation and was told there would be a $35 cancellation fee. I disputed this because I didn't recall seeing a cancellation fee when booking. It turns out that it's in small print and shorthand (Reg CXL:$35 fee if cxl 72 hours in advan FF dep if cxl within 72 hrs). It's now 2/13 and I still haven't received a refund of my deposit. An email requesting a refund has gone unanswered for the past 24 hours. Given this poor level of customer service, I would advise against booking with this company.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Cycler1,

I am regretful to hear of your disappointment and desire for air-conditioning. We find little need for it, living in the mountains, and we do have ceiling fans in every room; but some travelers prefer AC. We strive to ensure our potential guests book a place they like. Yes, we do have a cancellation policy and clearly outline it on our website and in our confirmation letters; as do most Tahoe-resort properties. We have no record of an e-mail, and do not know who you booked through, but if you would like to e-mail info@clehospitality.com, referencing this review and include your dates of stay and name, we will certainly look into it further for you.

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon in late September 2011. The website was a little misleading on the quality we expected. It was very quaint and the beds were nice. But the sound traveled through the walls. While the newly remodeled bathroom was a great design the stone tile showers mixed with the lukwarm water made for a quick cold shower. On the bright side, the fireplace cranks and the can lights lights above the bed doubled as heating lamps. The service was pretty mediocre, except one woman Kathy. She was refreshing to deal with but still no change in water temp even after she solicitated comments on our stay.

Going back to misleading, the store they advertise on line is actually just a little area in the lobby painted a differnt color with some overpriced items you'd find in a gift basket.

We did shop other hotels as we want to return here one day with our dogs. Considering the Park Tahoe Inn around the corner has a discounted room, they call their small room - lol, and 968 Park Hotel has a swanky bedroom feel, both of which matches there website advertising, We will not return to Avalon Lodge.

Maybe its not so bad if your not on your honeymoon and there is not a crying baby next door. I would have rated teh sleep quality and cleanliness excellent if not for the thin walls and dirty feel of carpet. If you just want a place to crash after a long day outdoors the room (less the dirty feel of the carpet) really was great!!

You must go eat at Cafe Fiore - if you don't go to Tahoe for the beauty of this lake and it's forest go for this restaurant!!!! Best place we have ever eaten, hands down.

Room Tip: Just ask for one that new carpet has been put in. They were finishing a remodel when we were in.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Lady Samms,

We are so sorry your expectations of us did not match your experience. We pride ourselves in being service minded in a warm, inviting, and boutique atmosphere. I should note that your review comes more than a year after your stay, and since then we have completely renovated the property, including the carpet in all the rooms. We appreciate your comments and will take this opportunity to learn from them.
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The room was very nice, clean, and quiet at night. The bed was extremely comfortable. The shower is fabulous. A great hotel in a location convenient to Heavenly and casinos. Friendly, responsive staff. I highly recommend this place and will stay there on my next trip to South Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
infoavalon, Guest Relations Manager at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are so pleased that you were delighted with your visit to the Avalon Lodge. We pride ourselves on offering the most comfortable beds in South Lake Tahoe and are happy that you found them as comfy as we do. In addition, all of our showers were recently renovated to give you that unique feeling of being wrapped in luxurious stonework. We are always updating our training for our staff so that they are always available to ensure a memorable stay. We look forward to your next visit. Remember to call us directly and ask for our repeat-guest discount of 5% off your stay.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked the Avalon Lodge on Expedia for a last minute ski trip and are glad we did! The rooms were huge, the beds so comfortable, the staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to help us with dinner reservations. It was a short walk to the gondola and dinner, but far enough from the highway that there was no traffic noise. The showers were amazing! Next time we will ask for a corner room with a view. We had a great stay and will be back next week!

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
avalon4075, Manager at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us while skiing in the area. We pride ourselves in being a unique hide-away that is close to everything our guests desire while visiting South Lake Tahoe. Our showers get rave reviews consistently, as do our soft and luxurious beds and comfortable décor. We look forward to seeing you again, and as a repeat guest, please take advantage of our 5% discount when booking directly with us. We’re happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the lovely review.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Another business trip took me back to the Carson Valley and I was able to get a good deal at the Avalon Lodge and spend a day on the slopes. I'd been there soon after they first opened and was happy to see all the progress they'd made. The staff was very welcoming and eager to recommend restaurants and entertainment opportunities, and just to talk. The room was spacious, well furnished, very comfortable and the bed really felt great after a long day. I slept well and the next morning thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and chatting with the other guests. Everyone was friendly and my feelings of staying in small, locally owned hotels was reinforced. I'm not a big hotel type. I'm hoping to make it back again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We are always hearing wonderful comments about our beds, which having a place to sleep is the main reason one gets a hotel room. So we decided to be sure that we have the most comfortable beds in South Lake Tahoe and we do! But a hotel is not just about the bed. We are constantly revisiting training with our staff so that we can provide you with the best professional, knowledgeable and courteous staff possible. Thank you for your kind comments about the progress that has been made since your last visit. We think our rooms are special too with warm fireplaces and exceptional amenities. It’s always a delight to see our guests mingling in our living room-type lobby over breakfast in the morning or a cup of hot Mulled Wine in the afternoon. Thank you for being a part of the growing family here at the Avalon Lodge. As a repeat guest, we will extend to you a 5% discount when you book your reservation directly with us. We look forward to seeing you again (and again) soon!
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel. It was my birthday weekend and I was really looking forward to a nice getaway in the snow. This hotel just about ruined it. I wouldn't stay here again if I were paid to. We have been to many, many hotels and this was the worst place I have ever stayed.
* The bathroom reeked of wet dog. I understand some people stay with dogs here, but I expected it to be cleaned. Between the dog smell and the little black hairs in the bathroom, it was obvious dogs had recently been there and the place hadn't been well cleaned. Add to that the caked-in-dirt old sock underneath the duvet, and I wondered if the place had been cleaned at all before we checked in. There was also dog poop on the walkway and all around the parking lot.
* I was told at check-in that there would be a $200 hold on my credit card "in case I walked off with something from the room". I understand the practice, but really?!?
* The bathroom was tiny. One very nice slate shower (the one positive for this place), an itty bitty sink and a toilet. The shelf was four inches wide and we couldn't put more than a tooth brush on it.
* Worst of all, there is almost no soundproofing. The people in the room above us were up until 3 am. We heard every conversation, every sneeze, every toilet flush. They had a whole lot of fun, and I literally thought there was an earthquake with how much OUR headboard was shaking, because of what was going on in the room above us. My 5-year old son asked me what a vulgar female anatomy name meant was because we could hear their every word before we left our room in frustration. I don't think they were even being that loud, the soundproofing is just non-existent. So they went to bed at 3 am, and the neighbors to our right got up at 5:30 am. And we could hear *their* every word and toilet flush. We got just over two hours of sleep. Worst night ever in a hotel room, and we've done some traveling.
I went to the front desk to ask for a partial refund as we chose to check out a night early rather than suffer another night of sleeplessness and gross dog smell. I was told they were aware of the noise issue, and there was no refund. We checked out anyway, cutting our stay in beautiful Tahoe short. I'll be contacting the Better Business Bureau about their "boutique" hotel.
My husband tried to cheer me up by saying at least we didn't spend that much on the hotel. He thought by the look of the place it was $50 a night. Nope. $200 a night for the worst night of sleep ever.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay and save yourself the headache!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
avalon4075, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We truly apologize for your experience, this is not something that we find acceptable either and our manager did extend a refund to you upon learning of your experience from our staff. We do wish that you had contacted the front desk about your noisy neighbors. The property is staffed 24 hours a day and we do walk the property several times during the night to do everything possible to ensure all guests are quiet. Our lodge is small and we try our best to cater to a respectful clientele who are looking for relaxation, amenities, service and location – we are not a haven for party seekers or guests who are looking to stay up all night and do not condone this behavior as it does disturb our other guests.

We are a pet friendly hotel and do require additional and extensive cleaning after a pet has been in a room. When we remodeled the property in 2011 we did open up the walls and add modern soundproofing to the rooms. Even the best 5 star hotels have issues when a neighbor is inappropriately loud. Again, we wish we had received a call from you.

We do thank you for your feedback and as you can see from our many positive reviews, we strive to provide superior guest service and an amazing stay and will use this to train our staff and resolve any issues.
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the Avalon Lodge because we saw a good deal on TravelZoo. This place is a 5 minute walk to the Heavenly gondola so it was perfect for my husband to ski. Our room was a nice size, a warm fireplace, big bathroom, big tile shower, and very comfortable bed. There is a microwave and fridge in there as well.

Every day at 3pm the lodge serves Mulled Spice Wine which was great since it was about 10 degrees outside. The continental breakfast was nothing to brag about, just bread, plain granola, plain yogurt, oatmeal, and some fruit that had no flavor.

There is a hottub, but it was too cold for us to go outside in our swimsuits.

We would come here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit with us here at the Avalon Lodge. We also love our location because it is so central to all things fun, both winter and summer. We’re happy that you found our rooms comfortable and appealing. We’ve appointed them with the things we knew our guests would enjoy. Our complimentary Mulled Wine is always a big hit after a day of sightseeing or out on the slopes, and we try to satisfy the masses with our healthy, complimentary continental breakfast. Your comments serve to provide us with what we need in order to do so. We look forward to seeing you again and, as a repeat guest; you can enjoy a 5% discount when booking directly with us.

Been to Avalon Lodge? Share your experiences!