“Perfect.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Avalon Lodge to your Saves list
Avalon Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4075 Manzanita Avenue, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package for $109!
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I apologise for the late review. I stayed here summer of 2011. I think they had just finished renovations so we got a great deal to check out the upgrades.

This place was amazing. The most friendliest staff that made you feel at home & welcome. Cosy atmosphere, but the room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Quite luxurious feeling to it. The free bikes were a nice touch, so was the outdoor spa (and this cured every ache in my body I had acquired after spending a day riding around San Fran on a bike two days earlier - I could barely walk!)

Location excellent.. You can walk to the border & casinos - It was safe to do so at night if you want a few drinks! Heavenly a couple minutes walk too & there was a bit of snow in mountain so we could play around - and it was hot too!

Summer was a quiet time of course, but it was perfect. I would definitely come back here if I'm in that part of California .. perfect, perfect, perfect! Thanks Avalon.

Also recommend the ten min drive to Zephyr Cove beach in the Summer (water a bit chilly, but its beautiful).

Room Tip: I think we had mountain view room. It was cosy but not in the small sense, it was just beautifully...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Guest Services at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Better late than never…we appreciate your taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We love our location too and combine that with our dedicated and friendly staff and attention to guest comforts, we hope the Avalon Lodge will be at the top of your return visit list! Thanks again and visit us on your next trip to the States.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My experience with the Avalon Lodge was a great one the staff were extremely friendly and helpful the room was large,clean and the bed was comfortable. Its a short walk to the lake and to the casinos I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Though there isn't a fitness center who needs one while on a weekend getaway

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We love our location too – in between the lifts and the lake, as we say. While we are an intimate lodge that does not have a fitness room we do offer complimentary bikes and kayaks in the summer and snowshoes in the winter to help keep you active and exploring, make sure to save some time to try them out on your next stay. We hope to see you soon!
Arnold, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We went to Tahoe for our 8th anniversary and told the person when we booked. Just me my wife and our Ollie, great Dane. They guided me to book a romance package - which I did, reluctantly. Boy am I glad I did! The French Champagne was wonderful as well as fun and colorful chocolates welcoming us. Rose petals to take home and moreover, Ollie had her own welcome gift with bone, toy and towels for spreadding out on!

The whole place is no smoking - and set next to a preserve. The room offered SS water bottles to use and take home for a deal and as a great souvenier. My husband thinks I am amazing for planning all this... but all I did was call! We hiked and biked (complimetary bikes for guests) and had beers at the pub around the corner. Thinking of coming back for a winter boarding trip!

We highly recommend it. It is obvious it is meant for those looking for a bit more, quiet simplicity, good wine and great location. A loud and smoky casino it is NOT! Thank goodness.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay – and brought the whole family! We adore pets (every staff member at the Avalon has at least one) and it is our goal to ensure that your pup enjoys their vacation as much as our human guests. We did make Ollie pinky/paw swear to be back this winter...the snow is falling now so we expect to see you soon!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Best stay ever!

The staff handed me a warm cider when I arrived after the first snow of the seaon last week. The room was amazingly well done and cozy - great mood lighting too - like our Virgin America Flight.

We had booked earlier this year and were worried about the reviews when we went online looking for things to do and plan for our trip. No more. There were several people staying who we spoke to when in the hot tub who booked through a coupon or discount site. They were grumpy - but it is because they expected a resort. They should have booked Cancun.

This is a small quaint charmer with modern amenities and a great staff. Even a movie we planned to see at the theater when we got home was playing in room! If you want good suggestions, a good nights sleep, and a comfy, clean place to hang between hikes or fun - this is it.

The pet amenity is lavish, too. My family is in the bay area - headed there next and will recommend to them for sure! Oh - and a great store for wine and munchies in the lobby!

infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are a startup hospitality company just going into our second year of business this December and it has always been our goal to provide high end amenities from movies on demand to complimentary bikes to fantastic coffee in an intimate hotel setting with upscale rooms and amazing guest service and we are glad that you appreciated our small touches. We hope to host you again soon.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I vacation in Tahoe each fall and spring when the town is less crowded. We often stay on the western side of town away from the casinos but this time decided to stay right in South Lake Tahoe and are so glad we did! The Avalon Lodge is adorable, the rooms are amazing with beautiful slate showers and comfy beds. They had free bikes that we took to do some wine tasting and check out the lake and then they had sangria out in the afternoon when we returned. The staff was friendly and made every effort to ensure our vacation was special. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby by the fire and chatting with the staff about the upcoming winter and the upgrades they are planning for the spring, like increasing the store and upgrading the patio. There were lots of little extras that made the Avalon Lodge above and beyond and we know it will keep getting better. We will be back!

infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
We are so glad that you choose to stay with us at the Avalon Lodge. We do have lots of changes in store at the Avalon in the upcoming year and we are excited to continue to implement the ideas that we and our guests have designed. Next change to come - our Bloody Mary Bar!
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place, I think they try... but it's just missing a few things.
We were using a TravelZoo special and we arrived on a Sunday, the place was pretty empty, I believe we had a choice of rooms. I can't remember the room number but we were right over the office. The room was nice, it did have a fireplace - I think my major complaint would be the bed was noisy and not very comfortable. Every time I moved it would squeak. we stayed for two nights and I didn't get much sleep. The Internet as hit or miss... and you would think being right over the office we would have a strong signal. One day we didn't have it at all, I had to go downstairs and ask them about it. I wasn't sure how to call the front desk. They had to 'reboot' it and then it worked. Also, regarding the stairs they laid tile on top of the wooded stairs, I'm not sure how safe that it... it snowed while we were there so I was very concerned about slipping on them. I did leave something there... and they were helpful to mail my item to my home.

Alameda, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon lodge this last weekend and encountered 2 major issues: 1) our room #12 was extremely noisy (at the base of the stairs- bottom floor) and 2) this was a part of a living social deal - we brought our son and Avalon lodge charged us an additional $12 a night for him. When we made the reservation - they did not mention this fee and when I checked out - the person at the desk said that it was the owners policy and nothing she could do about it.

Beware of the add-on fees. The continental breakfast is sparse. The rooms are clean though and the location is nice. I called to speak to the owner. The owner did not call back - instead a manager called back and refused to refund the add-on fee - he claimed that it was a living social issue. I informed him that LivingSocial did not add on the fee- the hotel did.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Tony,

As we discussed on the telephone late last November, I am sorry you had an experience which prompted you to write this review.

I am glad we had the opportunity to speak and discuss your concerns. As you know, this review was written prior to you resolving your issue with our manager, and thus, is not entirely accurate. I have been waiting for your promised corrected review, but now feel I must reply. The additional person fees were clearly outlined on the living social package you purchased, as we pointed out. Moreover, our manager credited back your additional person fee as a good will gesture for your not understanding them.

You also mention you called [me] the owner. We did speak initially in November, after my knee surgery recovery. This was when you first shared with me that you would correct the inaccuracies in this review regarding the fee credit. You also shared with me you were upset when you wrote this review and that yes, you would like to visit us again. Therefore, I gladly sent you a certificate for another stay so you could experience us again - on us.

I called again 2 weeks ago, speaking to you a second time, to confirm receipt of the certificate, note, and follow up on the review correction, which you explained you forgot about. I understand. I truly hope you return for another visit, as we have offered, to re-experience us.

Deb P. - Owner

Been to Avalon Lodge? Share your experiences!