“Very comfy” 3 of 5 stars

You added Avalon Lodge to your Saves list
Avalon Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4075 Manzanita Avenue, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package for $109!
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Very comfy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in room 28. It was great. You have a good few from the window. The bed is perfect, the ceiling fan you cant even tell that its there. Shower is just stunning. The only downside is that the room doesnt have ironing bord or iron, so if you need to iron your clothes you are out of luck. But otherwise the hotel is in perfect location.

• Stayed October 2012
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for the great review!

We appreciate your feedback and sharing your comments with future travellers.

I am sorry there must have been a mis-communication about irons, as we have several on site and small and full size ironing boards, too!

Hope to see you again soon,

Deb P.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bay Area , California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I saw this place originally on groupon. The reviews and photos were so good we thought we would go check it out. We were so disappointed! The hotel is one of these aging motels from the 70's. The staircases were in disrepair and downright dangerous with huge chunks of the slate tile missing to trip on. One staircase I refused to use entirely because it was falling apart so bad. The jacuzzi was closed because it too was broken.

However, thus said, once you got into the actual room it was clean. There were plenty of towels provided and of good quality. The bath products too were nice. The decor in the room was pleasant , but there was no lamp by the bed, only overhead lights. Crazy. There is no air conditioning either. The quality of the beds and the linens was good though.

The hotel touts wonderful coffee and continental breakfast. The coffee wasn't even drinkable, and what I saw was a pot of oatmeal, and a few slices of pumpkin loaf. They didn't even have many fixings for the coffee. No fruit, nothing.

They did have bikes to borrow, all were super nice quality.

I would say in ski season if you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay close to everything, this might be a place to consider. This is not a romantic getaway like it implies or any kind of luxury or charming. It's above basic, but I have seen motel 6 do just as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My favorite boutique hotel chain is the Kimpton. If the Kimpton did quaint mountain lodges, the Avalon Lodge would be it. It's in a great location and staffed by really friendly, helpful people. It's also super dog-friendly. Upon checkin, they provide your pooch with a little welcome basket of goodies and lots of petting. Like the Kimpton, they offer really nice beds with luxury sheets, pillows and bathroom amenities. They also have an evening wine reception only they serve up a delicious sangria sweetened with honey and fresh fruit.Unlike the Kimpton, they offer a healthy, homemade continental breakfast with fresh baked goods come from a local bakery and not costco! Other rooms perks - microwave, refrigerator and a fireplace that turns on with the thermostat! There's a cute little jacuzzi and they also have passes to the private beach nearby. Shannon also gave us a great tip on a hike that was off the beaten path! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wausau, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon on Tramway. While there is a keypad to get into the building, the actual access to the room only needs a piece of paper slipped between the door & the jam! Scary! The inside looks nice but when I looked at the sink handle it had grease all over it. Gross! The sofa had a throw pillow that was absolutely disgusting...the decor was nice, however. The upstairs bathroom had a funky step-up to get to the toilet, and you would be lucky if you didn't fall from the also awkward stepped-up shower. When we arrived there was mouse turds in the tub and on the floor. The construction of the place was a mixture. Nice tiles, crappy wood trim. Very bad diy job. In the bunk bedroom the window was busted and taped up with painters tape. Another safety hazard! Overall location is good, but I would not stay here again....

• Stayed September 2012
Oregon City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I am writing to say that I will never stay here again! For starters the rooms do not have all the amenities that they say. The stairs are unsafe. The pool has no filtration and is very dirty, could not swim in it. Office staff is not very helpful. Our room does not lock right. The list could go on. The only reson that I am still here is I can't get a refund of my money.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
September 7, 2012

Dear Guest;

I am writing you to follow up with our conversation yesterday and my call to you from this past weekend. I am truly sorry that your experience at The Avalon Lodge over the Labor Day holiday weekend was not as you had hoped.

Melody, I have done my best to try and understand your point of view and concerns which you outlined for me. I have also taken into consideration our staff input; who as you can see by our reviews usually does a stellar job at attending to our guests’ needs and some basic information.

As I understand it, what you outlined for me as your concerns were:
• You checked in early and were told the room was not ready, they checked you in and gave you a key and told you to return, which you did, to a clean room
• You did not get any paperwork at check in or check out.
• You asked for an iron and ironing board and it was petite; not full size and did not fit well on the table in room
• Your shower turned off during your shower
• The pool was dirty and colder than you would like
• You felt the staff did not respond to your needs, in whole or in part
o You mentioned if they would have offered a refund, you would have left
• You did not have a table lamp beside the bed
• You had only 10 channels on your TV and the channel guide listed 30

I would like to address each of these concerns for you:
• We checked you into the room at 10:16 AM, almost 6 hours prior to check in time. You requested a first floor room which we obliged. The room was clean at the time of your early check in. It was also explained to you at check in the carpets of all downstairs rooms were being cleaned that day. We asked the cleaners to clean your room first and place dryers in it so that you could check in after your breakfast, even giving you your keys at this time so you would not have to come back to the front desk. I mention this because one of your concerns was that the carpets were a touch damp at check in.
• I have enclosed copy of your registration card, which you signed at check in. This is all the paperwork we give at check-in, as is customary with most hotels, with the exception of area literature, etc.
• At check out, we do give out a folio of charges. You declined it, as noted in your reservation. Later, your friends who also stayed with us asked that we email you a receipt, which we did. I had another copy sent yesterday, after we spoke.
• The in-room lighting was designed by an architectural firm to allow more free space on the table and put the switches in reach of the bed and lights overhead. I am sorry this was not something you liked. When you mentioned it, our staff offered place lamps in room, but you told them did not want them entering your room at all, so they let you know they were at the front desk for you. You never stopped by so that we could give these to you.
• I do apologize about the ironing board not fitting on the table. Honestly, it is the first we had heard of that and are going to remedy the situation by adding full size ironing boards to our available guest amenities.
• You mention your shower turned off during your stay – mid shower. I am sorry if this in any way inconvenienced you. Our showers, as I mentioned, do have auto shut off to ensure the heat does not get to scalding if the handle is turned too far. It must have been turned up to that point. I am glad your husband fixed it for you. I will note we also stated we would look at it, but you declined.
• Our in room TV placard comes from the cable company and they did make some recent changes to increase the channels, both locally and regionally. This may have affected the listings matching the placard. We do also offer Movies on Demand with first run, in theater movies to our guests.
• The pool is an item which helps me to understand that more than our hotel issues, there is a perception issue. You see, the inspector just came out 2 days prior to your stay and gave us the sign off for a fully compliant brand new filter system and mentioned how very clean our pool is. It is also consistently heated between 78-80 degrees. Our staff cleans it also, 2 times a day, usually pre and post guest use hours.

I will say that it is our company “Golden Rule” if you will to put people first and to do what it takes to ensure our guests are happy within our abilities. Knowing this, and having received hundreds of guest letters, online reviews and survey cards to applaud our staff and property, it is hard to understand how any of your issues could have been so unresolved.

In looking at each of these issues in depth, I am truly disappointed you would write such a review while still at the hotel, with a DND sign on the door, not allowing us to address, explain or fix anything. Your review also states our amenities are not as promised, which I do not understand. Our pool does have a newly replaced, working and approved filtration system. Our staff, as they are trained, respected the DND sign and did not disturb you in room to address anything. They did approach you at the pool, knowing you were unhappy, but you shunned them away.

You mention not leaving only due to not being able to get a refund, however our staff was prepared to offer one of our vacation rentals as an alternative location for you, the night of your arrival, immediately seeing you did not want to stay with us, and did offer to let you out of your reservation at any time. We did in fact refund your last night when you checked out 1 day early. The constant DND sign and inability to talk with you truly seems to have exacerbated your disappointment and our inability to communicate with you and resolve this to your satisfaction. We also checked the lock and found the door threshold to be very tight. It did require an extra little pull to latch the door. This was an easy and immediate fix if we had known.

Finally, in our call, you quickly stated, before I could even address the point, that you were not abusive to our staff, but that they were inefficient and did not care. I must say that our staff was aware you were not happy and very disappointed they did not know how to open communication to make you happy.

At this point, I do not know how to turn this past experience into a good situation for you or us. I do not feel you would want a complimentary return visit. You did not communicate to let us understand and fix anything and have now consumed the nights, but did write a review to Trip Advisor while in your room; so I do not feel a further refund is in order; beyond your last night, which again, we did refund in full because you departed early and sadly, unhappy.

I will end this letter with a sincere apology that you were not happy. I am not sure what else I can do at this point. I will also post this reply to your Trip Advisor review.

Deb Pierrel
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are very nice, as is the shower and bathroom. Luxury for the price. We had our dog with us, and so we were surprised to get such a nice animal-friendly room. Unfortunately animals come with smells and our room had a slight sour aroma. The cleaning staff did not have air freshened or a candle. So we wandered in search of a drugstore where we could buy one. Had to call cleaning again as their was no shampoo in room and cleaning staff gave us a half used bottle of shampoo which apparently was the last one. Not sure how that happened. Other than those two things it was a nice stay. We borrowed the bikes and had an enjoyable ride down to the golf course. Loved the free Internet. Breakfast is a nice touch but it was pretty much decimated by the time we went to get it. Good location for beach and casinos. Staff was nice.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your staff appreciation and insightful feedback. We sure do love our pets and absolutely do welcome well behaved ones to our lodge as part of your family.

While we agree that pets come with their scents, you should not have been affected in any way by another stay. It is unacceptable, and we sincerely apologize. If I had known, we would have immediately remedied the situation with a room move or ??

Please know that because of your astute nose, we have had all of our carpets professionally cleaned earlier than our usual timeframe. Again, we appreciate your honesty and attitude. We hope to see you again sometime soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My mother and I had a wonderful time at the Avalon Lodge this past month. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious, especially the beds. I’d love one like that for my own home. The staff was friendly and helpful, always ready to answer our questions. The breakfast was just right for us, tasty and plentiful - and it was great to chat with the other guests in the morning. I think the hotel attracts friendly guests. The hotel is in a quiet area surrounded by huge pines and it was restful to sit outdoors in one of their several sitting areas. Since my mother has trouble getting around, she really appreciated being able sit outdoors in a lovely setting. We also used the hotel pass to spend a morning at the beach and loved that. There was a lot going on there! There were plenty of restaurants in the area to dine at and we even got in some shopping. All in all, the Avalon was a great part of our vacation. My mother rarely travels anymore but told me that she would go back to the Avalon anytime – and that is high praise from her!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Avalon Lodge? Share your experiences!