“Spend your money at nearby motels” 1 of 5 stars

Tahoe Queen Motel
932 Poplar St., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #62 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Bay Area
“Spend your money at nearby motels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay, this is it. However, don't expect too much. What you get is a roof over your head, a bed, and running water. Check in is like going to the bates motel. You find your name on a list, fill out a little form and get a room key. The room has a bed and a few chairs that are as old or even older than the ones at goodwill. There is 1 bar of soap that is the size of a sugar packet. No shampoo, good thing we brought our own. No hot water. I think we checked in late and everyone used up all the hot water because the next morning we tried again and got hot water. The manager had to come in to turn on the heater which thankfully works. There is no internet, no fridge or microwave or anything other than a 12" tv that dates back before the 70s. One thing that is decent is that the sheets are clean at least and that was all we needed was some sleep. Even if we couldn't shower until morning. At night, there was a lot of noise and commotion going on. It sounds like the manager or staff was having a party. We left promptly the next day.

Good: cheap, clean sheets, working heater
Bad: no hot water when needed, no extras, dirty, old, noisy, no shampoo

I have stayed at many Tahoe area motels and hotels and this is the worst. If you can, stay at the super 8, hojo, ambassador lodge, or a few of the other family run places that are decent but not this one.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Frankfurt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

That motel is a shame to the wonderful Lake Tahoe Area. The rooms are dirty (we had to move the bed and all we found was garbage, mud and dust). Nothing is working, neither the air condition, the refrigerator or the icebox. Even the fence on the second floor was broken (so be very careful with kids). The beds are in a terrible condition. I'd assume they haven't been renewed for ages.
We can only warn everybody to book that dump. Each and every Dollar that is spent there is a waste of money. And unfortunately we spent 104 Dollars for a night. What a waste.

• Liked — When we could leave after a terrible night
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
chino, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We booked on short notice because of a wedding we were attending. If we would have known how bad this place was we would have never had stayed there.
So many things were wrong with this place starting with the rooms being very dirty..the air conditioning did not work. the blankets were worn and very uncomfortable. No screen in the bathroom window..Because of it being so hot we had to keep the windows open and it was so noisy we could not sleep. The ear plugs did help but it was so noisy that they didn't really help.
Managment was not very helpful. We did not have clean towels and when we asked for some more it took them a long time to respond to our requests..The beds were not made although they promised that they would be.
Our over all experience at the "tahoe toliet "was a disaster.,
We would not recommend this place to any one.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

OMG!!! This place made me want to take a shower just looking at it. No air conditioing, our room didn't have screens on the windows, my daughter walked across the floor inn her socks and they were so dirty I threw them away. The people who worked there we up till the wee hours of the night partying. We ended up finding other rooms at a different motel to complete our stay. Our group was 16 people. No refund either. Please do not let a stay here spoil your trip as it did ours.

• Liked — they were cheap
  • Disliked — the staff and the cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Every bad thing that has been said in the other reviews are TRUE. We had an additional experience. We checked in and the owner had us prepay for 3 days, we unloaded the luggage.
We asked him how come he had us prepaid ? Usually we settle the bill at checkout, since they have the credit card info. He went balistic and started yelling and swearing at us in the parking lot. [-] You every other word, bend over so I can [-]you, it was a horrible. Called us punks, 2 couples in their 60's. Kept yelling and swearing told us to leave, which we were happy and relieved to do. He still charged us for a 3 day stay. There is so much more I could say but the bottom line is DO NOT STAY THERE.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

I booked this hotel for 2 nights for a snowboarding trip to Heavenly. This was my second time at this hotel. After reading all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor and on Expedia I was preparing for the worst but I found these reviews completely unwarranted. After staying at this motel for the second time in 2 years, I will happily book again in the future.

In my opinion it comes down to this: if you are looking for something fancy this is not the place for you, but if you want a safe, clean, warm, comfortable place to spend a few nights I honestly believe Tahoe Queen will exceed your expectations. The hotel manager was very pleasant and happily upgraded my room for a reasonable price when I informed him of an unexpected friend that joined us for the trip. My bed was clean, warm and comfortable. The strongest points of this motel is its price and location.

My only complaint is the hot water runs out fast so get an early start in the morning to make sure you have enough for the shower. 3 of us took turns to take a shower that morning and the hot water ran out in the middle of last person's turn.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Hot wate runs out fast!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

This place is terrible. We picked one of the cheapest places, close to the border so we would have an easy walking access to Heavenly and to Casinos.

First, this hotel has vibrating beds. I have never seen one before, and for a quarter, you get 15 minutes of fun. If you are into that sort of thing. Personally, I was not so impressed.

Above the bed, there was a painting. The painting had a wooden frame, with glass rim glued to it. In the middle of the night, the glass shard came off and landed 2 inches from my eye ball. It weigh about 8 oz. and has some very sharp corners and a pointed end. Basically, I was lucky to be alive. When we told the owner in the mornings, he told us to call the psychiatrist if we were so traumatized. No refunds, no apology, no anything.

• Liked — close to casinos and Heavenly
  • Disliked — Almost being killed by my room furniture.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tahoe Queen Motel? Share your experiences!