“Crappiest motel in the U.S.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Tahoe Queen Motel to your Saves list
Tahoe Queen Motel
932 Poplar St., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Frankfurt
“Crappiest motel in the U.S.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

That motel is a shame to the wonderful Lake Tahoe Area. The rooms are dirty (we had to move the bed and all we found was garbage, mud and dust). Nothing is working, neither the air condition, the refrigerator or the icebox. Even the fence on the second floor was broken (so be very careful with kids). The beds are in a terrible condition. I'd assume they haven't been renewed for ages.
We can only warn everybody to book that dump. Each and every Dollar that is spent there is a waste of money. And unfortunately we spent 104 Dollars for a night. What a waste.

• Liked — When we could leave after a terrible night
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
chino, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We booked on short notice because of a wedding we were attending. If we would have known how bad this place was we would have never had stayed there.
So many things were wrong with this place starting with the rooms being very dirty..the air conditioning did not work. the blankets were worn and very uncomfortable. No screen in the bathroom window..Because of it being so hot we had to keep the windows open and it was so noisy we could not sleep. The ear plugs did help but it was so noisy that they didn't really help.
Managment was not very helpful. We did not have clean towels and when we asked for some more it took them a long time to respond to our requests..The beds were not made although they promised that they would be.
Our over all experience at the "tahoe toliet "was a disaster.,
We would not recommend this place to any one.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

OMG!!! This place made me want to take a shower just looking at it. No air conditioing, our room didn't have screens on the windows, my daughter walked across the floor inn her socks and they were so dirty I threw them away. The people who worked there we up till the wee hours of the night partying. We ended up finding other rooms at a different motel to complete our stay. Our group was 16 people. No refund either. Please do not let a stay here spoil your trip as it did ours.

• Liked — they were cheap
  • Disliked — the staff and the cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Every bad thing that has been said in the other reviews are TRUE. We had an additional experience. We checked in and the owner had us prepay for 3 days, we unloaded the luggage.
We asked him how come he had us prepaid ? Usually we settle the bill at checkout, since they have the credit card info. He went balistic and started yelling and swearing at us in the parking lot. [-] You every other word, bend over so I can [-]you, it was a horrible. Called us punks, 2 couples in their 60's. Kept yelling and swearing told us to leave, which we were happy and relieved to do. He still charged us for a 3 day stay. There is so much more I could say but the bottom line is DO NOT STAY THERE.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2007

I booked this hotel for 2 nights for a snowboarding trip to Heavenly. This was my second time at this hotel. After reading all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor and on Expedia I was preparing for the worst but I found these reviews completely unwarranted. After staying at this motel for the second time in 2 years, I will happily book again in the future.

In my opinion it comes down to this: if you are looking for something fancy this is not the place for you, but if you want a safe, clean, warm, comfortable place to spend a few nights I honestly believe Tahoe Queen will exceed your expectations. The hotel manager was very pleasant and happily upgraded my room for a reasonable price when I informed him of an unexpected friend that joined us for the trip. My bed was clean, warm and comfortable. The strongest points of this motel is its price and location.

My only complaint is the hot water runs out fast so get an early start in the morning to make sure you have enough for the shower. 3 of us took turns to take a shower that morning and the hot water ran out in the middle of last person's turn.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Hot wate runs out fast!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

This place is terrible. We picked one of the cheapest places, close to the border so we would have an easy walking access to Heavenly and to Casinos.

First, this hotel has vibrating beds. I have never seen one before, and for a quarter, you get 15 minutes of fun. If you are into that sort of thing. Personally, I was not so impressed.

Above the bed, there was a painting. The painting had a wooden frame, with glass rim glued to it. In the middle of the night, the glass shard came off and landed 2 inches from my eye ball. It weigh about 8 oz. and has some very sharp corners and a pointed end. Basically, I was lucky to be alive. When we told the owner in the mornings, he told us to call the psychiatrist if we were so traumatized. No refunds, no apology, no anything.

• Liked — close to casinos and Heavenly
  • Disliked — Almost being killed by my room furniture.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

We had booked this hotel for 2 nights of the weekend preceeding Martin Luther King Day. We paid $223 which seemed to be the going rate at most motels in the area for that weekend. On arrival at about 4 in the afternoon we were greeted by the owner, a singularly unhelpful and surly person. The hotel from the outside looked rundown, uncared for and the hot tub (sat in the carpark) was filthy: covered in snow and debris. However, we had booked and felt we would have to make the best of a bad deal. On viewing the room I was struck by the fact that the inside temperature was barely warmer then the outside temperature (which was averaging about -2). Not sure how to turn the heating on (and surpised that it hadn't been put on in readiness for our arrival) I went down to talk to the owner. He seemed annoyed and irritated by what appeared in his eyes to be an unreasonable request. I went back upstairs, attempted to turn the heater on and viewed the rest of the room. On our bed we had a threadbare sheet and one blanket with large burnholes in it, totally insufficient for a chilly night let alone one as cold as this weekend was panning out to be. The room was filthy and there was no heating in the icy bathroom. When we closed the flimsy door we could see daylight and feel the draft through the gaps between the door and doorframe, the lock was a simple push button and the door so flimsy that my mother could have kicked it open! I was holidaying with my aging mother and was seriously concerned with how staying in this freezing and dirty room would affect her health. It was also the most miserable room I have ever seen and certainly the money we had paid was far in excess of the value of a hotel room of this type. I had seen several vacancy signs in the neighourhood and venturing out, I managed to find a warm and cosy room for the same money in the local Days inn. I then went back to discuss my issues with the owner.
There was a lady ahead of me asking for a room, and although I wanted to tell her not to stay there I waited until she walked back to her partner in the car before explaining to the owner that my mother and I would be unable to stay there due to the cold and insecurity of the room. Although I was calm, quiet and slightly apologetic he quickly became aggressive, unhelpful and was refusing to speak to me. Having asked me to repeat my issues with the room several times, in front of the returned potential customer, he then accused me of chasing away business and refused to refund me my money. At this point the other lady stepped in and stood up for me saying I had been nothing but pleasant and that he should refund my money. He turned on her demanding whether she wanted a room or not, at which naturally she left, apologising to me. He turned on me and the discussion escalated. He threatened to hit me with his clenched fist at one point, then in front of my husband, threatened to hit me with a stick he used to secure his windows. He kept me out in the cold and frequently shut his window and turned the lights out and refused to talk to me. I remained calm and never once lost my temper, but I was determined not to let him get away with this. Eventually, because I was demanding his business card, he called the police, reporting that a mad woman was trying to break into his property and that he needed rescuing. They then asked to speak to 'said mad woman' and he passed me the phone (hilarious if I wasn't so upset!!). Shortly after a policeman turned up and as the owner refused to let him in the office to discuss the situation he knidly remained nearby to keep an eye on the situation. Eventually he called us over and basically gave me the impression that this has happened many times before. Having read the reviews previous to mine, I am speechless that this hotel remains on Expedia and other holiday websites. We were given the impression that should we choose to sue this guy, South Tahoe police would be very happy to support us!

In short I can't think of anywhere I would least want to go back to and the whole experience was upsetting, exhausting and very unpleasant! This hotel is in an excellent location, I am at a loss to understand why this guy continues to own it rather then selling and making a lot of money and escaping from the tourists he clearly detests!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — The owner was awful, the accomodation was freezing cold, dirty and very very rundown.
  • Tips/Secrets — just don't stay here!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tahoe Queen Motel? Share your experiences!