“I had a great, easy-on-the-budget time here.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe

You added Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe to your Saves list
Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4083 Cedar Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Viking Motor Lodge)   |
Offers & Announcements
$10 off room rate
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tbilisi, Georgia
“I had a great, easy-on-the-budget time here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was initially suspicious of this place due to the outrageously low prices quoted for the rooms. Straight to the point: I found nothing but good things during my stay here, and the low room rates are for real.

I spent 5 nights here in late October. I booked the room that is pictured on its website: King Kitchenette with gas fireplace for heat. It's a great room at a great price (less than $50 weeknights, $70s weekends. The cheaper rooms are all mixed together with the other type rooms and they looked just fine to me.

Breakfast is cheap hotel continental, but it's nice considering it's included in the budget rate. I especially appreciated the laundry room, since I was staying for nearly a week.

Close to a nice Beach, which closes in mid Fall. Also good location for strolls up to the 'happening' places.

I'd definitely stay here again, it's a great way to save money in order to afford other aspects of your vacation.

Room Tip: The bumpkin staying above me on my first night apparently likes to do Zumba late at night with clogs...
Green Features: Smoking area outside with picnic tables. Recycling containers noted.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Ruben Z, General Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi,

Thank you for your nice review and support.

Please come back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Washington state
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for 4 nights. Great location and the price was right. Nothing fancy for sure but it had a comfortable bed, a awesome shower with great water pressure and a clean room. Yes it was a little dated but we didn't spend much time in our room. The staff was nice and helpful. Why would you want to stay at Harveys or Harrahs when you could stay here or a number of other places for a lot less.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, General Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Thank you very much for your business and support!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here for two nights. The rooms were older, but clean and charming. The location was great (the area was a bunch of motor lodges like this one and was a very quiet and peaceful area). Free breakfast, which is a plus. And they had a selection of books in the room which isn't something I've seen before but think is a great idea. Still have CRT televisions which is a bit strange, but it worked even though we turned on the TV for a whole 20 minutes. The room was spacious and clean (like I said) and the location was right. For the price we paid, we were very satisfied.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Ruben Z, General Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Thank you for your review and your business. We are very pleased to know your comments.

Please come back soon.

Thanks again!
Carson City, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We booked a room here for October 18th 2014 for the Styx concert a month in advance. When we showed up we found out that the queen size bed was a full size as well as a shower versus a bath. The room was old and disgusting. I asked the manager ( the worst manager ever). I asked for a room with a bath tub and queen size bed. The man ( wish I knew his name) advised that he didn't have any other rooms available. He also claimed that the full size bed was a queen. My BF and I knew better so we took pictures. He advised that he would not return my money that I would need to call Booking.com so I did and I spoke with a gal ( Susan) and she was absolutely no help at all. I advised that we were going somewhere else to stay. I tried to get a statement from the so called manager that I requested another room as they would not accommodate us.
( Basically gave us a different room then what we had booked). He said no, that he was charging me and he claimed to call the police for trespassing? I informed him that I was calling my Credit card company to dispute and I wasn't going to pay for a room that I didn't book. The absolute worse customer service I have ever experienced. We ended up staying at an awesome place called Doc's cottages just a couple blocks down the road. Paid $50.00 more however, well worth it! We will definitely stay at Docs cottages again! It was like night and day! Big Pines manager claim that they were booked and didn't have any other rooms? However, they charged my CC anyways as I can almost guarantee that they rented that same room after we left. The heated pool was also closed as I was informed it had just closed that day as well. False advertising, awful rooms, bad service! They definitely do not care about customer satisfaction !!! DON'T STAY AT BIG PINES PAY EXTRA TO BE HAPPY!Definitely not friendly the manager claimed to have called the police for trespassing? However, he advised that he was still charging me for the room that I refused to stay in? He also told me I was psycho as I only wanted a statement showing I refused the room due to it wasn't what we booked. Will get photos of the room up soon. The absolute worse customer service I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Never stayed due to unhappy with the room. The room was not what we booked. False advertising. Manag...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

I chose this hotel for the location, which is great. The hotel itself was okay, it was very cheap for Lake Tahoe and you get what you pay for. If travelling on a budget this place is decent and clean enough.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, General Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to get us a review.

We truly appreciate your feedback and support.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Love the short walk to Harvey's casino. The gondola and shops are just across the street. If you go to the beach it's a few blocks away. Better to walk there as they charge for parking. The motel is an older building that could use a facelift of the exterior the dark green paint and all. Smoking area at front could use a real lawn and not the fake grass. As for a repeat visit I would return but may want to try a few more motels in this class and price range. Price was reasonable and rooms clean with comfy beds. Wonderful location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your business and support.

We will keep improving our Hotel until we get your total satisfaction, we appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again!

Please come back soon.
Savage, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

This is a superb value hotel, only a block or two from the main casinos. Very quiet area. Comfy beds with nice pillows. Our room had a great gas fireplace, table/chairs, dorm size refrig, microwave, coffee pot/tea, large closet area, and great bathroom (filled with great organic bath products) with nice towels. I was very impressed with this hotel for the price!

Also, there is a continental breakfast each morning. In the lobby area is a computer and printer so you can print boarding passes.

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Lynn,

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Cordially,
Ruben Z
GM

Been to Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe? Share your experiences!