“Great hotel in a very picteresque town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe

Save Saved
You added Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe to your Saves list
Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4083 Cedar Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Viking Motor Lodge)   |
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel in a very picteresque town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great motel! The price was very very good, and it offered much more than I expected for this kind of price. The room is well stocked with some snacks you can buy, free coffee making facilities, also of good size and very very clean. The beach is not far away (5-10 min walk) which is a plus.

Beware of construction site in front of motel - there was no construction going on so it didn't bother us, but may spoil the view. Also the breakfast could've been better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hi,

Thank you very much for your review and feedback.

We will keep improving to make this place a nicer and affordable.

Please come back soon!!!

Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
sacramento ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very cheap and a great location. I agree with another comment that if you get a room with an adjoining door you can hear everything, so get earplugs. Great Taqueria right next door. Walking distance to casinos etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Front Office Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hi Josac,

Thank you, thank you, thank you....

Your support and feedback help us a lot.

Please come back soon!!
Jerusalem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights. the place is clean, rooms were big and nice. TV was very old...
walls are very fine so pray that you neighboors will be quite. the location is nice and close to the main street. good water presher at the shower.

Room Tip: rooms are realy nice, try to get the 2nd floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Hi Hanit,

Thanks for your business and feedback. We will keep working hard to improve our hotel.

Please come back soon!
Holbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

You can find much nicer accommodations in South Lake but considering the convenience of the location and the price, I think the list of choices in this category are pretty slim if you are not getting comp'd at a hotel.

I got a room with the kitchenette and although the kitchen part itself overall was 100% laughable, the room I got was way nicer than expected otherwise as it came with a decent bed and a gas fireplace. I didn't end up cooking a single thing nor did I even put a beer in my scary 400yr old fridge, but other than that the hotel was very convenient to the gondola and all the local shops, the breakfast was better than expected & the staff was helpful when asked. My bathroom was new but others in our group didn't have such luck. I also had good neighbors when other groups did not. My friends got no sleep one night due to a big drunk fight in one of the rooms. Prices like this may not attract the best crowd at times but it is what it is.

I would normally not stay in a place like this but knowing how my room was with the kitchenette option, I may book this place in the future on a tight budget providing I got the same room.

Room Tip: Buy earplugs and be ready for noise if it moves next door to you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ruben Z, Director of Sales at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for business and support.

We work very hard everyday to improve the hotel and make it nice and affordable for you and you family.

Since we aquired the hotel we have been working on updating all rooms, not all have been done, that is why you see the different types of rooms.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!!!

Please come back soon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

it's the best and easiest bet for south lake.....AFFORDABLE AND FRIENDLY....I stayed here last year for the month of march and this year for two weeks....and I'll be coming again next year...as well as recommend here to every and anyone that's coming to south lake and heavenly.....Internet is fast and free....singles and doubles with a kitchen....you can't ask for more for the location and price.....trust me....I travel for a living....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Chuckles,

Thank you very much for your business and support.

We work very hard everyday to create a good deal for you and us.

Thanks again.

Please come back soon!!!
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for a quick skiing overnight trip. I agree with other reviewers that it is scrupulously clean and it is across the street and around the corner from the gondola, but I don't think it provides value for the money compared to similarly priced places equally close by. The biggest issue was how noisy and old and run down it is; I don't mind noise of people in the parking lot or passing by or even talking in other rooms. This is different: every time someone takes a step in the room above you it sounds like the entire building is following down - sort of like a crunching, shifting noise. Stuff is old and broken: my tv had a broken display and a broken remote. They nickel and dime you in annoying ways: it costs an extra $20 to check in before 3pm even if your room is ready, and the fridge is unplugged so if you bring food you have to wait till it cools down. And the breakfast is pathetic - they don't even have milk for the coffee (you use the cereal milk, and there's only full fat.) If it were significantly cheaper than other places, it would be fine - but it's the same as much nicer places.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and business.

We work hard every day to make the hotel better.

Thanks again!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

You can't get better than this for the money. My family and I stayed here two weeks ago for a spontaneous budget-friendly trip to the snow in South Lake Tahoe. I am very hesitant to stay in hotels/motels in this area because most look cheap and seedy and, on our last trip, my husband booked us into a budget hotel and it was DISGUSTING. Not so at Big Pines. I took it upon myself to research the hotels in the area and, based on the ratings for Big Pines, I decided to take my chances. The room was meticulously clean. I checked out the beds; the linens were spotless - not a stray hair, lint, stains --nothing. (I brought my own beddings just in case but didn't have to use them) Baseboards and floor corners were meticulous. Bathroom was also spotless--the tub was a bit worn (chipped) but it was clean. Towels were snowy white. I still wiped everything down with Clorox wipes and Lysol because I am OCD but this place was very clean. The carpet probably needs replacing soon and the walls are a bit thin so if you have noisy neighbors, you WILL hear them (our neighbors were having a vicious argument). Service is efficient at the front desk. The complimentary breakfast is not bad - bagels, oatmeal, yogurt and granola + coffee/tea/hot chocolate. It's definitely bare bones but for a clean place to rest after snowboarding/skiing, this will be our new go-to spot when we need a place to stay on the South Shore.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs. The double queen rooms with kitchen are roomy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hi,

Thank you very much for your business and review.

We work very hard to improve our hotel.

Thanks for your feedback!

Please come back soon!!!!

Been to Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe? Share your experiences!