“I love this place!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe

Save Saved
You added Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe to your Saves list
Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4083 Cedar Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Viking Motor Lodge)   |
Ranked #29 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“I love this place!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

it's the best and easiest bet for south lake.....AFFORDABLE AND FRIENDLY....I stayed here last year for the month of march and this year for two weeks....and I'll be coming again next year...as well as recommend here to every and anyone that's coming to south lake and heavenly.....Internet is fast and free....singles and doubles with a kitchen....you can't ask for more for the location and price.....trust me....I travel for a living....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ruben Z, Director of Sales at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi Chuckles,

Thank you very much for your business and support.

We work very hard everyday to create a good deal for you and us.

Thanks again.

Please come back soon!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for a quick skiing overnight trip. I agree with other reviewers that it is scrupulously clean and it is across the street and around the corner from the gondola, but I don't think it provides value for the money compared to similarly priced places equally close by. The biggest issue was how noisy and old and run down it is; I don't mind noise of people in the parking lot or passing by or even talking in other rooms. This is different: every time someone takes a step in the room above you it sounds like the entire building is following down - sort of like a crunching, shifting noise. Stuff is old and broken: my tv had a broken display and a broken remote. They nickel and dime you in annoying ways: it costs an extra $20 to check in before 3pm even if your room is ready, and the fridge is unplugged so if you bring food you have to wait till it cools down. And the breakfast is pathetic - they don't even have milk for the coffee (you use the cereal milk, and there's only full fat.) If it were significantly cheaper than other places, it would be fine - but it's the same as much nicer places.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and business.

We work hard every day to make the hotel better.

Thanks again!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

You can't get better than this for the money. My family and I stayed here two weeks ago for a spontaneous budget-friendly trip to the snow in South Lake Tahoe. I am very hesitant to stay in hotels/motels in this area because most look cheap and seedy and, on our last trip, my husband booked us into a budget hotel and it was DISGUSTING. Not so at Big Pines. I took it upon myself to research the hotels in the area and, based on the ratings for Big Pines, I decided to take my chances. The room was meticulously clean. I checked out the beds; the linens were spotless - not a stray hair, lint, stains --nothing. (I brought my own beddings just in case but didn't have to use them) Baseboards and floor corners were meticulous. Bathroom was also spotless--the tub was a bit worn (chipped) but it was clean. Towels were snowy white. I still wiped everything down with Clorox wipes and Lysol because I am OCD but this place was very clean. The carpet probably needs replacing soon and the walls are a bit thin so if you have noisy neighbors, you WILL hear them (our neighbors were having a vicious argument). Service is efficient at the front desk. The complimentary breakfast is not bad - bagels, oatmeal, yogurt and granola + coffee/tea/hot chocolate. It's definitely bare bones but for a clean place to rest after snowboarding/skiing, this will be our new go-to spot when we need a place to stay on the South Shore.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs. The double queen rooms with kitchen are roomy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hi,

Thank you very much for your business and review.

We work very hard to improve our hotel.

Thanks for your feedback!

Please come back soon!!!!
Champaign, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I find it hard to believe that other travelers describe Big Pines as comfy, inviting, or pleasant in any sense. I am used to traveling on a budget, but the bare skeleton of a room we had (and we booked the full "kitchen") was worse than my son's run down college dorm.

On top of it, they had overbooked the reservation I have had for the last two months and told me that I'd have to leave after two nights! The rusted and dysfunction wall heater, thin sheets, and bright windows spell out a miserable night ahead.

Buyers beware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi Greg,

We are very sorrry that your experience was not what you expected.

However, we guarantee our product, and anytime you are in a room that you don't like, you can approach the front desk and ask for another room.

Again, we are very sorry that you did not like our hotel.

We thank you for your feedback and business.
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at the Big Pines in January for four days while touring the various ski resorts around Lake Tahoe. The rooms are basic but warm, clean and comfortable and excellent value for money. The Heavenly Gondola is only a five minute walk so top marks for location! The breakfast is simple but provided everything we needed - Coffee, OJ, Granola and toasted muffins with jam (and hot oatmeal if you like that sort of thing!). Only one minor complaint - the bathroom could do with a heater. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Director of Sales at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi Kristeen,

Thanks for your business and support.

Please come back soon!!!

Thanks again!

Cordially,
Ruben Z
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I (and our 2 dogs) stayed at Big Pines recently. The location is great. We literally walked right into town. We love that they were dog friendly and it didn't cost us any extra to have our dogs with us! The room we had was very average. The bed was comfortable....but....we could hear EVERYTHING. We heard the people walking around upstairs, talking, people outside talking, radios, TV's...I felt like I was back in my college apartment. Secondly, we drove to the casino (it's walking distance, but we both wanted to avoid the cold). When we got back we drove in and out of the property for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. Finally a man appeared and told us we could park in front of the snowbank in the back. Breakfast was so so...they had oatmeal and bagels. Nothing to write home about. Overall, we would not stay here again. We can deal with the breakfast and maybe even the parking, but we sure do need our sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Guest Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Hi,

We thank you for your business and feedback.

We are a family business that works very hard to improve our hotel.

Thanks again
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at Big Pines, having stayed here in 2012 also. First: room is GREAT!!! I find Big Pines rooms for the most part inviting and comfortable. Breakfast is still a dissapointment to me. No eggs, meats or any REAL breakfast.The Coffee ( both in-room &,in-lobby) is horrendous, weak, and tasteless. What happened there? Also, why remove all that beautiful Leather furniture from the lobby by the fireplace? That made the lobby inviting, now stuffed full of tables and chairs it feels more cluttered and claustrophobic. Plus, what' s with all the merchandise for sale like a flea market hanging over the breakfast area??? The lobby is WAY LESS inviting and tasteful in it' s layout than it was a year ago. PLEASE put back the leather furniture, that made it MUCH more inviting. Overall, the stay was fine, and I love how pet-friendly Big Pines is also, but some things have changed not for the best at this property. Time to start looking elsewhere. Plus, if Big Pines added a year- round hot tub, the property would be much more inviting I feel, but location is simply it' s biggest selling point, but not much else. The Green Tea Terra Pura bath products are also wonderful, but it's not enough. I would stay again though,, I am not as thrilled as I used to be with this place. Also: inadequate parking is a turn-off.

• Stayed January 2013
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your business and feedback.

We take all your comments seriously, we will be working on making improvements.

Thanks again.

Please come back soon.

Been to Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe? Share your experiences!