“Apartment Living and Parking” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe

You added Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe to your Saves list
Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4083 Cedar Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Viking Motor Lodge)   |
Offers & Announcements
$10 off room rate
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Apartment Living and Parking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I (and our 2 dogs) stayed at Big Pines recently. The location is great. We literally walked right into town. We love that they were dog friendly and it didn't cost us any extra to have our dogs with us! The room we had was very average. The bed was comfortable....but....we could hear EVERYTHING. We heard the people walking around upstairs, talking, people outside talking, radios, TV's...I felt like I was back in my college apartment. Secondly, we drove to the casino (it's walking distance, but we both wanted to avoid the cold). When we got back we drove in and out of the property for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. Finally a man appeared and told us we could park in front of the snowbank in the back. Breakfast was so so...they had oatmeal and bagels. Nothing to write home about. Overall, we would not stay here again. We can deal with the breakfast and maybe even the parking, but we sure do need our sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Guest Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Hi,

We thank you for your business and feedback.

We are a family business that works very hard to improve our hotel.

Thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at Big Pines, having stayed here in 2012 also. First: room is GREAT!!! I find Big Pines rooms for the most part inviting and comfortable. Breakfast is still a dissapointment to me. No eggs, meats or any REAL breakfast.The Coffee ( both in-room &,in-lobby) is horrendous, weak, and tasteless. What happened there? Also, why remove all that beautiful Leather furniture from the lobby by the fireplace? That made the lobby inviting, now stuffed full of tables and chairs it feels more cluttered and claustrophobic. Plus, what' s with all the merchandise for sale like a flea market hanging over the breakfast area??? The lobby is WAY LESS inviting and tasteful in it' s layout than it was a year ago. PLEASE put back the leather furniture, that made it MUCH more inviting. Overall, the stay was fine, and I love how pet-friendly Big Pines is also, but some things have changed not for the best at this property. Time to start looking elsewhere. Plus, if Big Pines added a year- round hot tub, the property would be much more inviting I feel, but location is simply it' s biggest selling point, but not much else. The Green Tea Terra Pura bath products are also wonderful, but it's not enough. I would stay again though,, I am not as thrilled as I used to be with this place. Also: inadequate parking is a turn-off.

• Stayed January 2013
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your business and feedback.

We take all your comments seriously, we will be working on making improvements.

Thanks again.

Please come back soon.
Stafford, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

On January 3, 2013 at about 7:30 PM Hotel Security began frantically pounding on my door. I asked who it was they informed me it was Hotel Security and stated "let me in." I told them I was blind and I wanted to call the front desk to confirm it was security. They continued pounding and screaming "let me in, or I will enter with my key card." I called the front desk and they confirmed it was security. They also told me I must immediately let them in. At no time did anyone tell me why security was at my door. I went to the door and told security that I was not dressed and to please give me a minute to get dressed and I would let them in. Security then used their card and burst into the room. I stood there screaming at them to get out as I was not dressed. After about a minute or two they closed the door and said they were calling the police. I called the front desk in hysterics to let them know that security had just forced their way into my room even though they knew I was not clothed. I was informed that there was a report by another guest of domestic violence in my room. I informed them that this was not possible as my husband was across the street at the sporting goods store, and we could substantiate this by employees at the store. I then decided to call the police. When the officer showed up I learned that no one from the hotel had called the police, and that the hotel employees had actually violated the law. If they had suspected a domestic dispute they were to notify the police. Security forcing their way into a guests room is a civil violation, especially knowing that the guest was not clothed. I was absolutely terrified, and I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. By the way there is no chain or security bar to secure your door from invasion at this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hi,

We are sorry to see you review, but we will always prioritize safety first.

We understand your position.

Thanks and have a good day!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here during a ski trip to Heavenly. It is about 200 yards from the Gondola & very close to McP's pub - a great apres ski! While the facility is defenitely 'old school' - they leave nothing unthought of - no room service, but a delivery menu from "Dining Inn". Makeup towelettes. GREAT HEAT - for the cold nights. Fridge, Microwave, coffee, breakfast of oatmeal, English Muffin, or yogurt. Down side - if you get a room with a 'shared door' between rooms, the walls are paper thin - ask for a room with no shared room.

Most importantly - my husband shattered his knee on our first day there - and they took great care of us - changing our room to a floor level, overlooking check out time, etc. The hispanic staff is more than accomodating. It is not a place for amenities, but if you are looking for great location and great service - this is your place!

Room Tip: Say upstairs for no 'foot sounds' and ask for a room with no shared door. The motel is a ho...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for your business and support.

We are a family business that works harder everyday to fit your lodging needs at a very affordable price.

Please come back soon!!!
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Having read mixed reviews that emphasized largely the relative better price point for accommodations in the area, I was a bit concerned. However the experience was far better. First of all one cannot undervalue the location for skiing at heavenly valley village - once our car was parked we didn't have to move it again until we left as we could walk with skis and boots to the gondola, walk to restaurants, movies and casinos. The motel staff, contrary to what others have said, we're friendly, informative and business-like in a nice way. Also the continental breakfast was far better than expected with fresh made oatmeal, yogurt and granola and bagels. The room itself was standard and fine given the rate we paid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Guest Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your review and business.

We are a business designed to be convenient, comfy and affordable, and when we see that we met your needs we feel real good.

YOU HAVE JUST MADE OUR DAY!!!!!

Thanks again, and please come back soon!

Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A well maintained, well managed value priced budget motel. No problems, so very little staff interaction. Exceeds the standards of a typical budget motel.Our room was clean and well equipped with mini fridge and mirco wave, Nice selection of soaps, lotions and generous linens. Breakfast bar not lavish, but better than expect considering many budget motel do not provide any breakfast. The location was excellent for the casino crowd and the lake is just a few blocks away. Our mid week stay was reasonably priced, but apparently, like all Tahoe properties, the weekend is much higher. I would recommend it to friends on a budget that would be happy with a decent room at a value price for the area..

Room Tip: Upstairs is always better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Hi James,

We are very glad to see your review!

Please come back soon and support our family business.

Thanks a lot!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

For $40 a night I wasn't expecting the world but was surprised at how poorly I was treated by the big pines mountain house staff. I was mislead that my deposit would be refunded at the time of check out. The GM was out for the day and so I dealt with the front desk girls for 6 hours. I was put on hold several times for more than 10 minutes and never received a single apology for my inconvenience. Not only that but the girls gave me attitude as if I was being offensive. You never want to go somewhere where you are kinder to the service staff than they are to you.

nonprofessional, unsympathetic with hair trimmings on the bathroom counter at arrival. this motel doesn't seem to have its $#!+ together so please don't waste your money.

• Stayed October 2012
Ruben Z, Public Relations Manager at Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for your review and feedback. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced at the hotel. We are a family business that works very hard to improve day by day.

Please come back and give us a second chance.

Ruben Z

Been to Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe? Share your experiences!