We stayed 3 nights at the Big Pines Mountain Inn. I think this hotel is a good choice for people looking for a decent budget hotel in a great location. This is an older, 2 story hotel with no elevator. Rooms upstairs may be the best choice for people who don't mind stairs. Our floor creaked whenever we walked in the area between the 2 queen beds.
There was a PC in the lobby for but guests to use but the keyboard did not work well; the mouse worked fine the first time I used the PC but not so well the 2nd time. I did report this to the desk clerk. The continental breakfast was very basic - mainly bagels & oatmeal. One morning, I thought the oatmeal was fine but the next morning it was very watery.
The positives: We were fairly close to the office & Wi-Fi worked great. There was a good size mini fridge that worked well and was quiet. There was also a microwave. For a smallish room, there was plenty of storage space. There was a closet with sliding mirrored doors and chest with 4 large drawers. The TV was not a flat screen but had a pretty good picture.
The bed and bedding were ok. The sheets were a little too small so they come tended to become untucked. For an inexpensive hotel, I found the bed quite comfortable. With the exception of the wall heater, the room seemed quite clean.
The only convenient spot to plug in chargers was by the microwave. There was plenty of lighting from the two ceiling fixtures but it was kind of harsh. There was only one lamp which was located on the nightstand.
The AC was loud & located high up on the wall. It did a decent job of cooling the room. There was a remote control for the AC which had a timer feature.
The negatives: The wall heater put out some heat (from the pilot light?) even when turned off so our room tended to be quite warm when the windows weren't open. The heater was very old & dusty with worn paint. We didn't need to use it so I don't know how well it worked.
The bathroom was very small & in need of refurbishing. The cabinet under the sink needed painting. The vanity/sink was very old with lots of cracks in the sink. The faucet handles squeaked and there was no lever to open/close the sink stopper - you had to open & close it with your hand. The lights in the outdated light bar above the sink put out quite a bit of heat. Some relatively inexpensive updates would greatly improve the bathroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Pines Mountain House is conveniently located in the center of South Lake Tahoe, within walking distance to major attractions - Heavenly Ski resort, the casinos and the Lake itself. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms. Free wi-fi, complimentary breakfast, heated seasonal pool and the location make us the best value in town. Do not leave your pets behind, we will be happy to accept them in our hotel. Come visit us! Our friendly staff is always here to help you to make your Tahoe getaway simply fun! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Big Pines Mountain House of Tahoe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Big Pines Mountain House Of Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe
- Big Pines Mountain Lake Tahoe