“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mark Twain Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Lake Tahoe
Mark Twain Lodge
You added Mark Twain Lodge to your Saves list
947 Park Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 91650   |
Ranked #20 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Jose, California
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I booked the Deluxe room with 2 beds. It was very nice and clean. It had a built in fire place. Great bathroom. Nice microwave and fridge. Above all, walking distance to Heavenly Village / Gondola. Highly recommend it !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've stayed here twice now and both times, I have been very satisfied with the rates that I have payed and the quality of the rooms. The staff is always friendly and welcoming, the rooms are clean and spacious. Best of all, they're set up in such a way that you feel like you're staying in a cozy cabin instead of a huge commercial hotel - right in the heart of South Lake Tahoe!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Generally, when I visit Lake Tahoe, I am with a large family group that stays at Harrah's. I have been a guest at Harrah's at least 10 separate visits. So this review must be tempered by this fact. Anyways, this visit, only my 13 year old son and I were making the trip. I figured that paying up for the Casino was not probably necessary and a change of venue might freshen the Lake Tahoe visit. Our main goal was to ski Heavenly, and ski all day every day. We arrived on Saturday, December 21st. We used Lakeshore Taxi Service from Reno. We bunked in Room 7. This room had 2 Full beds, a night stand and a small bar with a sink. On this bar was a 4 cup coffee maker and a microwave. There was plenty of cabinets to put our clothes. The bathroom was a 3 piece bathroom. The room was very clean and did not have a bad odor. The room had an interesting fireplace heating system that worked great. The shower had fluctuating temperatures and the faucets needed constant adjustment during the shower to avoid freezing or scalding water (Harrah's has the same problem, by the way). We did not run out of hot water during our visit of 5 nights. The bed was so so. Not the best mattress and the pillows were not high quality. Noise from upstairs and neighboring units occurred but this did not disturb our slumber. Each day the room was thoroughly cleaned and fresh towels were provided; no complaints here! The Mark Twain Lodge is very nicely located and only a 3 minute walk to Stateline Blvd. and a 5 minute walk (at most) to the Gondola to access Heavenly. It is closer to the Gondola than Harrah's but you need to cross Stateline Blvd. with a traffic light and pedestrian crossing. There are plenty of restaurants close by and the casinos are easily walkable.
Overall, the Mark Twain was adequate, reasonably priced, very clean and conveniently located to Heavenly Ski. Too bad the snow conditions were not very good and only a small percentage of the mountain was open for skiing. Every day was sunny and I made some great pictures even though the Face was unavailable for a daily workout.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pleasant Hill, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We booked several rooms for a family get together and had a fantastic stay. The suites are wonderful and all of the rooms were clean and updated. Loved that we could visit and prepare meals within the suites and outdoor cooking area. The pool area is also really nice. It's a great location with just a short walk to the casinos, shopping areas and beach. We had a perfect weekend and would definitely go back and highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you're there with another couple or kids, the suite is perfect as it has two bedrooms with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Martinez, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is the only hotel I will stay at in South Lake Tahoe. The rooms are super CLEAN and are updated. The hotel is in a great location. You are walking distance to the casinos, shopping and beach. The pool is great for use in the summer time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stylish, bordering on luxurious, open fireplace, a grade furnishings that reflect a mark twain cabin. A two minute walk to the gondola, and all stateliness has to offer, I love the place!!! The staff is courteous and efficient, the owners are terrific people, really, it leaves the surrounding places for dead. I do not consider staying anywhere else

• Stayed December 2012
Folsom, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stumbled upon the mark twain during one of my trips to Tahoe when the courtyard misplaced my reservation, fortunately for me the management at the Mark Twain provided me with a room, and what a surprise the room was huge and well decorated the bathrooms were especially great(large tub and separate shower) I don't need to look any more on my trips to Tahoe the mark Twain has every comfort that I look for and a great location next to the casinos,

Thanks Mark Twain
Scott R
Folsom ,Ca

Room Tip: Every room which I stayed in was great, the big rooms fit my family of 4 kids with room to spare ,an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mark Twain Lodge? Share your experiences!