“Worth the stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Los Angeles, California
“Worth the stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Base camp is indeed different from the rest of the hotels in the south Lake Tahoe area. The place is friendly, cosy and unique. Price is great and they provide the shampoo, body wash n conditioner in the shower. Wifi is available, even hair dryer n hot water kettle. This hotel provides all the basics necessities required and the bed is cosy n nice. Breakfast is provided n coffee available all day in the lobby. Between 3-6 pm, happy hours for drinks n if you need a dip in the hot bath, there is a open air jacuzzi on the 2nd level above the lobby. Overall, the stay was awesome and the hotel is friendly n lovely.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Although I understand trying to stay true to a hip, outdoorsy style - I still think there are a few basic amenities that could be added:
*Because there was no refrigerator, an ice bucket would be nice.
*Extra pillows for a king size bed.
*My major issue - no A/C!! We were there (unfortunately) during an unusually warm time. You may say I'm spoiled, but I live, drive & work in A/C. That's what I am used to. When I go on vacation, I don't want to have to think or worry about being uncomfortable. I never dreamed I had to verify they had A/C when I booked - in this day & age I thought it would be standard. I will take some of the blame for not looking closer when I booked.
*It was a little noisy - we were on the first floor and you would have thought the guests overhead were playing musical chairs at 1 in the morning. I realize this issue is beyond the control of the hotel staff, but another reason I would not stay here again.
I went back and forth between a rating of poor & average. I decided to go with average since I thought the staff was very helpful & courteous.

Room Tip: If you like to have the option to have your room as cold as you like....no A/C! To help cut down o...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I don't know if I would classify Basecamp as a hotel- it is a motel, but a nice one.

I realized that motels or South Lake Tahoe is not my cup of tea, however it was apparent that Basecamp is one of the better motels in the area; nice and clean, cool rooms and comfortable bed, a great lobby with a bar, lounge and outdoor space. Breakfast was good- included, so was internet and free access to the beach nearby. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: We got a room with a porch which was great for night time to let the cool air flow in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We loved our stay at the Basecamp, they did an amazing job with the interior design, everything's really well thought of and the staff is friendly and helpful. A great place to stay, right in the middle of South Lake Tahoe!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paignton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Arrived early and got to check-in straight away as our room was ready. The lad behind the desk was very helpful with things to see and do in and around the area. The location is fantastic, in a very quiet location, just 5 minute walk from the beach which you get free access to as a hotel guest (otherwise $5/person) and the same from Heavenly village and the Gondola which goes to the top of the mountain. Also the casinos of South Lake Tahoe are just minutes away too. The rooms though quite small have everything we needed...king bed/tv/bathroom with walk-in shower/storage. There was also a ceiling fan which was very much needed, as whilst we were there they were in the middle of a heat wave, they also provided an extra standing fan for each room whilst we were there. There is a spa on the roof of reception which was very nice but no pool.
They provide complimentary continental breakfast and free wifi.
Can't recommend this place highly enough!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in June room 320 and I have to say it is a top notch stay. Huge room, very well equipped, clean, new, fresh, I could go on and on. They have spec'd it out to a very high standard.
The place offers a free healthy breakfast, free WIFI and a happy hour at the bar. it is central (small walk) to everything being right on the state line. The best bit is the price of the rooms. I will not stay anywhere else if I return to Tahoe (winter or summer) and wish them all the best on their new(ish) venture.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at basecamp from Wednesday to Friday and the first thing to mention is the price. At $109 a night I was expecting a flee ridden motel, but Basecamp has exceptional interior and exterior decor. It is a really quirky boutique hotel at an incredibly reasonable price.

My favorite part if the stay was get hearing round the fire put and making smores with all the other guests.

The whole place is geared up to the communal with a really nice front desk and lounge area.

Plus the breakfasts are great. Granola, porridge oats, pastries, orange juice. A great way to start the day.

And if you don't know what to do with your day the staff are super helpful. The helped me and my buddy rent mountain bikes and plot a course that was just great.

I will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Basecamp Hotel? Share your experiences!