“I Wish It Were A Chain” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
cbrazas
“I Wish It Were A Chain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was only able stay at Basecamp for one night; I wish I could have stayed longer. The rooms are clean. The bar, hot tub, and patio are great. Breakfast was one of the best parts. From the service to decor, I loved everything about this hotel. I'm amazed the hotel is so affordable. Without hesitation I would stay at Basecamp again if I were in Tahoe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Found this small remodeled motel on TA... it is on Stateline, across from the casinos. The rooms are nice, clean, beds are comfy, flat screen TV's... The staff are nice and friendly, small little bar with happy hour and good micro brew on tap...a welcoming lobby that begs folks to kick back and visit, Just a cool kick back place that you will like. The continental breakfast and coffee were good too!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was staying at another hotel in Lake Tahoe and a friend was staying at Base Camp and showed me around. After this "tour" I promptly switched hotels. The front desk clerk was hugely helpful in holding the room for me while I cancelled my 4 night stay at one of the Hotel Casinos.

I had a great experience for the 2 nights that I stayed here. Great staff and great surroundings. The continental breakfast was great, always stocked and the food was reliably good. The room was clean and regularly cleaned while I was there. Fit and finish of the place is like a Restoration Hardware showroom, modern industrial yet simple and cozy. The staff was helpful in making my stay enjoyable, while I was lounging in the lobby I was asked many times if they could help me with anything or change the TV to a channel I wanted. They went out of their way many times to improve my experience. The little bar, the hot tub and the community room made it feel less like a hotel and more like a residence. It was a great time and I will stay there every time I visit south lake in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in unusually hot weather for Lake Tahoe. Maybe that's why there's no air con as they don't often have it this hot. The staff were excellent - all young but very keen to enhance the experience of staying with them. Loved the décor and location although it's worth noting that the "private beach" isn't private to the hotel - it just means that you don't have to pay like the general public do. It seems to be shared with lots of the other hotels. That said, it was always very quiet when we there and is just a few minutes walk down the hill. Across the road there seems to be a new huge concrete hotel being built and, although it didn't impact on our view of the mountains, I could see that it probably will when it's finished. Plenty of places to eat in Tahoe with something for all budgets. Would stay at Basecamp again for sure. The bed was one of the most comfortable ever experienced. Really inexpensive too compared to the major chains in the same area.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor - less noise
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Basecamp Hotel for two weekend nights on a Living Social Voucher. We chose the Basecamp because of the voucher and the high rating on TA.com. We were not as impressed as other posts on TA.com.
On the plus side, we liked: the service (very good and friendly); location; rooms were clean, modern and comfortable; great bed; nice shower.
On the minus side: no fridge, microwave, coffee maker or tissues (pretty standard in even lo-end places); no microwave in the common area; cheap paper cups in the room with the hotel logo printed on them (the ink ran unfortunately when exposed to water); noisy ceiling fan that we had to switch off to get some sleep (unfortunately, it was an exceptionally hot weekend too); no A/C; basic but limited breakfast that seemed designed to keep management costs down (bowls of yogurt rather than individual servings, paper bags of granola, no child-friendly offerings, limited fruit – oranges and apples one day but no fruit the next day), coffee was OK but not great (luckily there are Peet’s and Starbucks close by); tough parking that ran out in the evening; can be noisy – there were people running around outside until after midnight on our first night.
I am surprised that it rates so high on TA.com. There are better options close by that offer similar rooms (maybe not quite as new) but have all the amenities for the same or lower price – we have stayed at many places in SLT as we visit 2-3 times per year. Glad we did not pay full price.

Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Had an awesome time at basecamp on our honeymoon. Everyone seemed genuinely happy that we were there, and everyone wanted to make sure we didn't miss anything awesome. They had great advice for us as far as what to do in the area. They seemed to have suggestions for everyone from family outings to more challenging adventures. The location is good. It is pretty much near everything. We enjoyed the smores and the hot tub at night. The breakfast was good, but was all carbs. They have a happy hour with half price draft beer. We did not try the dinner, but wish we had. The only negative thing I can say is that in the standard king room ( I don't know about the other rooms) there are no drawers or cabinets to put your clothes. There is, however, a small closet. Since we were there for 5 days, it was a little annoying, but I am still very happy with the experience. The most important thing was that the customer service was awesome!

Granite Bay, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This review is actually a little difficult for me to write. I arrived at Basecamp Hotel with great anticipation given the excellent reviews on tripadvisor. Using what turned out to be a wildly popular Living Social deal, I always try to temper my review knowing I have been lucky to stay someplace for a great price. Basecamp was definitely packed with Living Social couponers and I believe they handled the rush well. The hotel completely lived up to its good reviews in terms of its charming character. At check-in, with a very friendly, laidback staff person offered to move his truck when we double checked to make sure we were parked in the right parking lot and there were many happy "campers" roasting marshmallows on the lobby patio. As a nature lover I instantly felt at home. Everything in our room looked new and bright and shiny. The decor spoke to us as hikers and it was very charming. The bed was sooooo cozy, I could have slept for days. EXCEPT...and here comes the difficult part of the review...as it turns out, we came to Tahoe during an atypical heat wave. Because the temps don't often rise over 80, many places--including Basecamp Hotel--don't have air conditioning in the rooms. So when we opened our hotel room that night, we were blasted with hot air. We quickly opened the doors and windows (fortunately the windows can be fully opened) and turned on the overhead fan. It turns out the fan was loose, which caused the metal blades to strike against the metal base. The result was the sound of metal fingernails scratching a metal chalk board. Not good! It was late when we arrived and we didn't want to bother the one staff person on duty, so we spent a restless, hot night alternately turning on the fan when we couldn't stand the heat and turning it off again when we couldn't stand the noise. In the morning, after eating some super yummy granola and muffins, we let the staff person at the desk know about the fan. She said she wasn't able to fix it, but she would tell the manager when he came in at noon. When we returned to our hotel room late Sat night, we turned on the fan with great anticipation that it had been dealt with...sadly not. So another restless--on/off heat vs metal fingernail on chalk board night...Sat night noise was complimented with noisy, drunk neighbors on the adjacent deck (noise definitely does travel in the complex, but you can't hear it if you can shut your window). We let the same staff person know on check out that the fan hadn't been fixed. One our way home we tried to decided if we would go back. So much about the place spoke to us, but it wasn't a relaxing weekend in the end...the fan really just needed some screws tightened..something that could have been easily and quickly done. Maybe come winter, we will be enticed to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Basecamp Hotel? Share your experiences!