“Never again!” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   920 Stateline Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

Well, what can I say. When making the reservations, the clerk, Jonathan, was very accommodating. I explained that we were coming to Tahoe for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. He told me he would give us his 2nd favorite room because the favorite room is reserved for 2 weeks - good sign - I thought. All I expected was a clean room, not the Hilton, just clean and sanitary. We checked in, immediately went to run around Tahoe, came back for a quick shower. Well, the "spa" in the "spa room" didn't have a door - the shower curtain was approx. 2 ft. away from the "spa tub", needless to say, water on the floor. That was OK, cleaned up easily. Luckily I brought my own iron - when turned on, lights would dim, then the smoke alarm kept beeping. Of course, all of these are easy to handle. Then the main problem - when the guests upstairs flushed the toilet, the toilet leaked a constant mist in our bathroom! HOW GROSS CAN THAT BE!! ALL OVER MY TOOTHBRUSH!!! I immediately called the front desk, of course, no answer. I then went to the front desk. Told Jonathan that this room is totally unacceptable and that we are leaving and wanted a refund - I was told no. (He also told me I should have called - told him I did - no answer) Company policy is no refunds (no wonder). He was sure eager to run my credit card the Friday before we arrived (which as Saturday). But, if I wanted to wait for 1 week (until Saturday) I can call and speak to someone else who would refund all of my money, plus some. Don't think so! I have stayed at the Hilton for less than $134.00 - all I wanted was a clean - sanitary room. Needless to say, we won't be back, immediately called our bank, as well as the Code Enforcement and Health Department. Not a place I would recommend!

• Stayed September 2004

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2004

I couldn't get over how RUDE the desk person Irene was. Then I passed by the back of the office on my way to the room and can you believe she lives in the back of it?!? I got charged over $100 bucks for a room full of roaches! I had to wait until close to 6 PM to check in, and they wouldn't even let me leave my luggage there while I was snowboarding before check-in. I literally wound up bringing my luggage back to the other hotel I was staying at the 3 nights before and they held it for me! If you go there during the winter, don't expect a spa at the Alpine Inn and Spa...it will be full of snow!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2004

I was amazed at how well the manager handled the people who were not happy...she was very calm and did what she could. and all before I even checked in to my room. I stayed in a spa room which was very clean and romantic. We had a wonderful valentine's day. Although the pool was frozen (it is winter) the outdoor spa was also an added pleasure. the price was inexpensive, most places were charging double what we paid and were no better. the location is fabulous. Irene was fantastic.

Mountain View, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2004

The worst motel I have ever stayed in in my entire life. The "Spa" rooms are so small that they have clothes racks inside the bathrooms, in front of the toilets (!). Our bathroom did not have heating system and was always freezing. The bathtub, the "spa", is cramped into the sleeping area. The worst part, was the service. The hosts and all personnel were EXTREMELY rude and were not trained for working with customers.

• Stayed January 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2003

Could not have asked for a better place to stay. This motel has been newly remodeled, the rooms are very clean, the pool area was wonderful. The pond was an added bit of serenity. I must also add that the staff was more than friendly and went above and beyond the call of duty. Not only did they assist us in finding the most wonderful place to get married, they also made it possible to have an inexpensive reception in their courtyard. I would highly recommend this motel for every one. Close to all of the sites and the people were wonderful. Check out the spa rooms, very romantic.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2003

Booked rooms well in advance of trip. They could not fulfill the request. Some rooms turned out to have two double beds instead of two king size beds. This was not rectified and was an issue for a couple of families that were with us. Management stated that this is what they had at the time. Rooms were marginally clean, but many rooms were missing small amenities such as soap. Pool area was in disrepair and the spa did not appear to work. There were simple items that could have easily been picked up and cleaned up a bit on the grounds, but aesthetics doesn't seem to be a high priority. Having said that, the staff was fairly flexible with our group's needs for the most part.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2003

we went there for the 4th of July 2002. WE booked it the same day we arrived for 8 nights, under the condition that the bed was not going to aggrevate a back condition...it did, and they refused to give our money back. The manager was nasty and uncooperative, not caring that it was causing pain. We asked to talk to the owner and she stated he lived away from the property and would only receive information from her, we should write her a letter, and she would forward it. Turned out that she and her husband owned it and lived on the premises. We left after 3 days, and reported to american express, and were able to stop payment. It was 3 days of hell dealing with them...also there are no outlets in the bedroom, no air conditioning, holes in the screen...

Been to Alpine Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!