“A great inexpensive place to crash in Tahoe” 3 of 5 stars

Alpine Inn & Spa
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   920 Stateline Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
White Salmon, Washington
“A great inexpensive place to crash in Tahoe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a recent overnight trip to Tahoe. The room was small, but it was very clean and well appointed. I enjoyed the fridge, microwave, and flat screen TV. This property is directly across from the Harvey's parking lot and short walk from all the Stateline attractions.

The hot tub could be much better, and should be as the hotel uses spa in the name. Other than that I had no issues with this property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Placerville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My family and I love to visit our friends in Tahoe once a year. So we originally stay in the same hotel every time. However, it was my idea to try a different hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. My husband and I checked in at 4pm. A nice gentlemen was at the front desk and I told him we had reserved a room with Expedia. After giving me a room key, I then went to check out the room. It was cute, clean and had been remodeled. It was a nice sized room, comfortable beds with fluffy pillows and the bathroom floor was heated. Very nice feature which I liked. There was a pool with kids in it and a Jacuzzi too. My husband and I both agreed we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have been here 4 nights already and have 2 more to stay. At $50 per night we were not hoping for much but we have been pleasantly suprised. The rooms and public areas are spotlessly clean and the family owners are slowly doing everything up. In the 4 days we have been here they have laid new tarmac for parking, painted the swings and bedded new plants. The rooms are reasonably generous for the price and the king size bed comfortable. Location is great just a short walk to the lake ( lake access included in room price ) and the casinos and heavenly village. Cant ask for more at this price. Dont know what some of the recent reviews have been moaning about. Last time we we in Tahoe we paid $250 somewhere else each night and I cannot say it was a lot better. I dont think you would be dissapointed for the price. Give it a go and prove me wrong.

• Stayed June 2014
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Please know, I stay in hotels about once a month for both business and leisure. Also, I don't like to complain. And lastly, before now, I have NEVER walked into a hotel and been so turned off that I refused to sleep there. I have stayed in several rooms where you don't want to walk bare foot, I do not require a budget room to be "perfect." This way beyond a pair of flip flops could help with.
All that being said, this was a very unpleasant experience. The front desk person was about as short, rude, and condescending as they come. There was zero customer service or professionalism in all my dealings with her. Her 5 month old baby was crying in the back room, and she later came out holding a toddler in her arms. The office smelled of old food, bad incense, and worse air freshener. It had a film on the counter and the general housekeeping was just bad.
Walking through the common area I was disappointed to find that the pool was closed and the Jacuzzi was not clean enough to let my dog swim in, let alone a human. The room was vile. We walked in to a cloud of gross smells, much like the front office. The place looked like a dressed up jail cell. The walls had crumbling drywall, the bedding looked like it had a greasy residue on it, the carpet was matted down and gross. We didn't even bring our bags in. After talking with my fiancé, we decided that it was best if we stayed elsewhere. (We found a lovely place down the road that I highly recommend! It is called the Tahoe Beach Retreat. It was worth every penny despite paying premium rates due to booking same day.)
When I went to turn in the keys to the front desk person at Alpine, I requested a refund. She just kept quoting the policy on no refunds after a certain time, etc. I was trying to explain that the refund is not due to anything I did or didn't due in accordance with the policy, but the fact that the room was vile, the pictures online created false advertising, and it is a matter of good customer service. She told me that "there is no point in arguing." I am not one for confrontation, so I turned in the key cards, obtained the print out saying that there was nothing more owned on the room (which she begrudgingly gave to me) and we went on our way. The smells from the brief encounter remained in my hair for the rest of the night. It was really gross.
I am still very disappointed by this whole experience, and now the owner is refusing to refund our measly $72. It is not a matter of the money, but again, about good faith in running a customer service based business.
So from one customer to another, steer clear of this dump. Pay a little more and head down the road.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We found the Alpine Inn because the place we'd originally reserved in South Lake Tahoe was closed when we arrived in town at midnight. We got a decent room that was a bit dated but clean and well-maintained, for about $60 (there hadn't been a ton of snow, but I felt the rate was fair). A great place to stay if you're looking to be close to downtown and Heavenly without breaking the bank.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Concord, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed here twice when I have wanted to get away from eveyrone and everything. Room was clean. Bathroom needs some work as paint job and tile jobs were a bit shoddy. Close to casinos, restaurants, galleries and lake.

Only complaint is the walls are super thin so bring ear plugs. Parking is a bit odd some space in front others ont he side of bldg. Not sure if there is enough parking on busy week-end as I have only vistied off season. Oh and on weeks ends there tends to be lots of dope smoke teens that stay at the Alpine so if you have an adversion to dope smoke I suggest you stay elsewhere

Will I come back???? Probably yes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Lincoln, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This place was the perfect location, very clean, very pleasant owners. We could walk to the casinos and the Lake. We loved the outdoor hot tub, although a bit shallow. Nice landscaping, well maintained both inside and out. Very affordable. This was the best value of our whole trip. Only wish we stayed here longer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alpine Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!