“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Trailhead

You added The Trailhead to your Saves list
The Trailhead
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3892 Lake Tahoe Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Vagabond Inn South Lake Tahoe)   |
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Milford, Connecticut
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

We recently stayed at the Trailhead (Aug 2014). We were lucky enough to get a room with a hot tub. The hotel has been completely remodeled, it was warm, attractive, clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the interior furniture looked custom made and had a rustic appeal to it. Chris the GM couldn't have been more accommodating. The location was perfect, close to everything including an I Hop for breakfast within walking distance. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I recently stayed at the Trailhead Motel in South Lake Tahoe, CA and was pleasantly surprised. I have a few places I like to stay at in Lake Tahoe and could not find them anymore....so I started looking at everything and The Trailhead came up. I will return as I was able to rest quietly after a VERY LONG drive and need the QUIET.

Room Tip: I was upstairs and perhaps that made it as pleasant but I believe it was because it is set back off...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful upgraded hotel. Everything in the rooms are brand new. Beds. Pillows. A/C. Mini-fridge. Close to all the action. Walk to the lifts or to the casinos.

Excellent value for Lake Tahoe, which usually is impossible.

Five stars.
Will stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
The Mumbles, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We booked this motel after reading positive reviews on trip advisor and appeared to be good value for the area. It is indeed in an excellent location to walk into heavenly village, where there are shops and endless restaurants. The room has been nicely done out with a 'lodge' feel unfortunately the new bedding topper is shiny nylon...and they really should have replaced the old stained sinks and baths. The hot water was a big concern....when you run the shower it occasionally scalds you going absolutely boiling hot, I'm assuming if anyone in the block maybe flushing the toilet etc. we were able to jump out the water each time....but I would be fearful of using it with children. We did report this to reception so hopefully they will have sorted it out by now! The male receptionist is disinterested and grumpy, even if you ask him advice on what to do wear to eat etc. The pool is unfortunately drained and with lots of the beaches being private in the area the pool would definitely improve this lodgings. Overall one of the better motels we stayed in during our time in America.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris N, General Manager at The Trailhead, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry about the hot water situation. Sometimes getting the perfect temperature is difficult, as one guest will say it is too cold, and the next guest will say it was much too hot. I apologize you were one of those who found it too hot. We have turned down the temperatures on our boilers to hopefully a more comfortable (and safer) level. I am also a bit concerned about the service you received. I was there when you all were loading up your truck, and I know which associate was on duty that day. He is new to the area, and perhaps a bit timid making recommendations due to a lack of confidence in his choices. I will be creating a list of my favorite restaurants, things to do and attractions so that he can be more accommodating and confident. I will also coach him and work with him so that he will provide better service to all of our guests. Thank you very much for choosing us, and saying that we were one of the best hotels on your trip to America. We sure hope to see you again.
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The room was ok and it looks like each room got renovated within a day. Tv is new but small, I think my computer monitor was bigger. They've got new carpet put in without levelling the floor properly and it squeaks by the bathroom. Room got repainted, door frames repainted where you could still see old hinge connections and the new door got connected on the other side. Base boards were screwed in on one side but old board was never replaced by the sink side. Sheets/towels were clean, tub was slippery and a bit stained (use Tilex next time), sink had some stains too. They should've replaced these. We had to get soap, shampoo from front desk. No luggage rack, no hair dryer, no iron in room. There were chocolate muffins for breakfast. Pool was closed...no water in it. Overall, this is not the typical $100/night incl tax room but I think it's way better than the two properties close by.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate your attention to detail, and for submitting updated photos for our those who are curious. Based on your feedback, I have purchased brand new irons and ironing boards, luggage racks and hair dryers for each room. Also, we will have bath mats for all of our rooms with tubs. As I am writing this, the shipment is pulling into our driveway! In addition, I will be working with house keeping to ensure each room is more prepared with our new soap and shampoo line. We will also pay more attention to the bathroom areas to ensure that they are clean. Thanks again for your feedback.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The room I stayed in is brand new. Clean bathroom, clean bed, spotless carpet, nice painting, new AC that runs very strong. TV has dozens HD channels, it seems to be a high end Samsung model. I slept very well during the night. I sense soundproofing must be good. They are next to the town center, so you can park your car at the hotel and walk 5-10minutes to the beach or heavenly village or casinos. They have these HD security cameras around, so no worry about safety. It feels this place is one notch above its competitions, a very good deal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your detailed review. We appreciate your feedback. Next time you are in Lake Tahoe, we hope to see you here again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My friend and I stayed at this place for three days and it was a great experience for all of us. The beds are really comfortable and it is really quite in the night. Everything is new and works well. Its front desk is very helpful and has great attitude. The price is cheaper than other places in this area. It's really convenient too. I would recommend this place to other people.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind words. We appreciate your evaluation. We hope you come back and visit us again really soon.

Been to The Trailhead? Share your experiences!