“No Frills place to rest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe to your Saves list
Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2375 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, US 50/Lake Tahoe Boulevard at SR 89, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #43 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
California
“No Frills place to rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at the Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe for a week. The rooms were typically appointed for the chain and everything was clean upon arrival. Our room was serviced daily by housekeeping (we couldn't find the DND sign), and it was nice to come back to a fresh clean room every day.

A couple of things to bear in mind: The price quoted online does not include a local 3.5% tax, refrigerator and microwave are $3 a day, and their S-L-O-W wifi is $2.99 a day. Also remember that Motel 6 shamelessly charges by the person so keep that in mind as well.

The pool was in working order, the front desk staff was all very helpful and friendly, the housekeepers waved hello, and the property felt safe and welcoming. Our room keys worked the entire week and we never had any issues finding parking. The Chinese Buffet next door attracted some sketchy people, but they were ultimately never a problem.

I always stay in Motels as opposed to Hotels as I like to spend my vacation money when I am awake. Therefore for the amount spent, I have to say that Motel 6 provided what I need: A comfortable bed, a clean room, and a hot shower. The reason for not having 5 stars is due to charging $2.99 a day for S-L-O-W internet. C'mon, that should be included these days.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bike path are considerably quieter than the highway-side rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buena Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

But I was expecting a little better.

The TV was the oldest I had seen in even a Motel 6 for over a decade. The rooms were clean, but dated. This was a very large complex so I would have thought it would be updated.

The complex has a laundry/dryer room so that was very helpful.

This location is on the outskirts of South Lake Tahoe so you pretty much have to drive everywhere.

This location was also very expensive (About $80.00) which lowers the value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

A little better than camping, you don't have to share your bathroom. Pros are not sharing bathroom with strangers and you get a coffee maker/mini fridge/micro in room. Convenient b/c you can go to the grocery store to get meals. Cons--dirty, and small. There arent many good Restaurants in SLT. We keep looking for that great hole in the wall Mexican place. We find lots of hole in the wall but none worth going back to-ever.
Motel 6 is a good place if you want to go camping with your dog. It's also close to the trail.

• Stayed May 2012
Aptos, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We didn't want to pay too much for a room cuz we knew for the most part that we were just going to be sleeping there.

The good: Very friendly staff, very clean rooms, location was good

The bad: The highway was loud in the room, and there was no coffee pot in the room. We brought our own coffee pot though expecting that. They did have coffee/tea in the lobby in the morning.

With our overall experience, we were very happy. The other perk about staying in there is we had a non-smoking and we couldn't smell the other rooms at all. We would go back and stay again.

Oh! And we thought the beds were super comfy!!! We actually went out and bought a new bed after our trip cuz we realized our bad our old bed was!!! lol

Room Tip: Bring your coffee pot if you like it your way.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

A handy place to stay for the price. Fridge and microwave in rooms make this an ideal place to stay. Close to all the fun and snow and shops. Clean yet not refurbed yet. Comfy beds and clean bathrooms is all i need and all you get here, but super stopping place. We spent 4 nights here and loved it

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

After a long day of skiing, this place is more than that. Management is great! Tell them your tired an just need a place to sleep before heading home and not only will the price be at or under $50, 9 times outa 10 Mgmt will give you a free brkfst coupon for Denny's. Some rooms have fridges and Most have coffee pots. But for $39.99 in South Lake take a clean room an get your coffee in the office! I love this place, but I don't go to Tahoe to sit in a room. I'm either skiing or gambling!

• Stayed November 2011
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I work for a 4 star hotel and major branded hotel. So I know the ins and outs of hotels.
When I waited until the last minute to make my travel plans for NYE I was looking at paying $400-600 at the "casino/strip" hotels. I work for a hotel -I'm not paying those prices. So after looking and searching I came across the Motel 6. First Reaction? All the bad reviews below were going to ruin my trip, but for $100 and a place to shower and get ready I wasn't going to be too picky. After all it's only 4 miles from the "main event"
Pros:
-Great Rate (it's motel 6 after all)
-Hotel front desk was kind, courteous and welcoming
-Hotel room was clean and smelt clean
-Hotel is 4 miles from casinos
-Bathroom clean
-Microwave and Fridge clean
-Carpet clean
-Bed clean (and even newish, again I work in a hotel, I can tell a newer bed from a older used bed)
-They kept the light on :) (haha)

Cons:
-few little dust bunnies here and there however nothing horrible AT ALL probably what you have at your own home
-towels are stiff not fluffy (again it's a motel not a 4 star hotel)
-Exterior Corridors (I'm a woman, it's just not as safe but it's a motel and you can't change the building)

That's it! It was totally worth the money for a night that could have ended up costing me a LOT more!

I received a survey from Motel6 and after I filled it out I actually received a personalized "Thank you" from the General Manager - I was in shock but it made it that much more caring, friendly and customer service oriented than I EVER thought a motel6 would be.

This location changed my opinion of Motel6, however, the General Manager regained my trust of true customer service.
Thank you for a nice stay!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!