“Even a beginner was successful” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
La Quinta, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Even a beginner was successful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

During a vacation week at South Lake Tahoe, we decided to try Fly Fishing, something I had no experience in. We visited Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters on Lake Tahoe Blvd, and signed up for a half-day guided fishing trip.

This was a great experience, better than any of our expectations. My fishing partner had fly fished a little, but not on a river, which was going to be our destination.

Our guide Brendan, met us at the store the next morning at 8 AM. After getting waders and boots, we set off for the Carson River, about 45 minutes away. We arrived at 9 AM, got our equipment (all provided by the shop) and walked over to the river. Brendan spent about 10 minutes explaining to me the casting techniques, and then told me to cast into a specific location on the river. I had no luck until about the 8th cast when I hooked my first fish. After landing the fish (catch and release) we moved around to another spot, and two more fish.

Brendan would suggest a spot in the water, and in each case, we caught fish. He continually made helpful suggestions if I was not casting correctly or putting our flies in the wrong spot.

For the day, I released 8 fish, including a 3 pounder. I lost one large fish Brendan thought would go about 4 or 4.5 pounds.

Now, this was advertised as a half day trip. The day does not start until you begin fishing, you get 4 hours on the water!

So, it was a great experience, I caught fish, casted successfully, and had a very good instructor. An excellent deal. The cost is $250 for one or two anglers and includes all equipment, guide services and transportation. You do need a California fishing license, available at the store and leaders, also at the store.

This was worth the investment.

Visited October 2011