“Worth the ride” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Description: The Getaway Cafe serves alpine comfort cuisine just a short distance from your favorite outdoor activities in South Lake Tahoe.
Las Vegas
“Worth the ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were staying at Harvey's and kayaking early morning from Baldwin Beach. We're always looking for small, neighborhood places to eat in Tahoe and found this great place for an early breakfast.

Service was great and we even ordered sandwiches to go for our kayak trip. They were extremely accommodating and all of the food was good. It's just a short ride from the casinos and a great find. We will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thanks for making a point to discover local restaurants in Tahoe, Lenora. I'm glad that your early breakfast was tasty, and I hope that your sandwiches traveled well for your kayak trip! Can't wait to welcome you back next time you're visiting!

96% Recommend
Ivins, Utah
“Excellent burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Dined outdoors at this spot along Highway 50 in South Lake Tahoe. My husband and I split the half pound black and bleu burger...quite ample for us. The burger was juicy, spices just right, cooked to perfection. Fries were well above average. I enjoyed the baked bean soup, made on site. Delicious, full of large chunks of ham and potatoes, as well as beans. Could have made a meal of the soup. Dessert sounded tempting so we split a piece of marionberry pie ala mode. Warm and delicious with a flaky crust and well sweetened berries. Overall, a dining experience that met our needs perfectly, with a reasonable price tag. Service was prompt and attentive.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
KayentaGail, I'm glad you and your husband were able to join us for a meal and save room for dessert, too! We're proud to offer fresh, homemade dishes at a great price, and it sounds like you made some great menu choices. The Black and Bleu Burger is one of my personal favorites. I hope that you two will keep us in mind next time you're in our neck of the woods. We'd love to serve you up another slice of pie!

Laguna Beach
“Still the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a great restaurant in a location you would not expect a great restaurant. The place is located on Highway 50 on the right just after (if you are leaving Tahoe) the state inspection station. The restaurant is in what clearly was, at one time, a residence that has been skillfully remodeled into a working restaurant.

So what makes it great--worth 5 rating points? Two things critical to the success of any restaurant and a bunch of small things.

FOOD: We eat breakfast here every time we are in Tahoe. The omelettes are superb; the home fried potatoes are even better; and the other breakfast items are excellent and offer a huge amount of food at a bargain price. At lunch, they make specials that seem to vary daily; hamburgers are very good; and they have a good French dip sandwich. We have not had dinner here, although it is offered and looks very good.

SERVICE: Fast and friendly and flawless. Those are the big "3F's" in service, it seems to me. You never feel rushed, always feel pampered, and your wishes are anticipated. What else could you ask for?

DECOR: In an earlier review, I suggested that this restaurant was mid-50's diner. Yes, Diana, you have done a lovely job in remodelling--there is a real ambiance about the place now. Nice art on the walls; comfortable seats; and lots of attention paid to detail. [Diana responded to my earlier comment about mid-50's diner asking if I had been in to see their remodel. They were in the middle of it when I was in. The results are nice.]

OUTDOOR SEATING: Although we have not used it, there are a lot of outdoor tables that would be perfect on a warm summer day.

PARKING: Is adequate, though a bit free form. Watch out for the sign in the middle of the parking lot--I cannot imagine that someone has not backed into it in the last few days, whenever you read this review. It would be a lot better in almost any other location in the parking lot.

This really is one of the best restaurants in Lake Tahoe, and is a place that locals know about and non-locals stumble in to and wonder why they didn't find it sooner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Good to hear from you again! I'm glad that you could check out our remodel. We are really loving the new look of the place! I appreciate you stopping in for breakfast whenever you're in Tahoe, and I can't wait to see you again soon.

Sacramento, California
“Best Service on the planet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Food was awesome and service was amazing. We actually went for lunch on Saturday, then breakfast on Sunday!

Visited July 2013
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Wow! "Best service on the planet" is such a huge compliment — thank you! I'm thrilled that we made such a big impression that you stopped in for a second visit. Keep us in mind next time you're in Tahoe!

All my best,
New Haven, CT
“OMG. Best breakfast ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stopped here for breakfast on our way out for a hike and boy did it give us plenty of fuel for our day! Great coffee, amazing breakfast choices with reasonable prices. I had huevos rancheros which were to die for and my husband had a really great, fresh omelette. Good home fries. Very generous portions. Cute, homey, comfortable vibe and nice waitresses. Hope to come back someday!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks for stopping in for a pre-hike breakfast. I'm glad that the huevos rancheros and home fries fueled you right up. I hope that you and your husband will have the chance to visit us again in the future!

Until then,