“Can't wait to try everything on the menu!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Getaway Cafe serves alpine comfort cuisine just a short distance from your favorite outdoor activities in South Lake Tahoe.
california
“Can't wait to try everything on the menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast with the family (husband and 2 small kids) before heading back home. Fantastic all the way around. Had the turkey, bacon, avocado & cheese omelette. So tasty. Husband had the deluxe benedict also loved his. Kids pancakes and french toast. Everyone loved their meals. Fresh and delicious. Service was attentive, friendly, and prompt. Looking forward to going back soon just to eat there:)

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I'm glad you and your family had the chance to stop by at the end of your trip! Fresh, delicious comfort food is our focus, so I'm glad that you all enjoyed your meals. We want you to feel like regulars as soon as you step through the door, so I'm happy to know that our servers were attentive and friendly as well. I look forward to welcoming you all back next time you're in the area. Thanks for the great review!

Best,
Diane, Owner

“Great stop for grub before you leave town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I visited Getaway Cafe prior to heading off the hill. Truly a packed house. Pleasant service and good food. Not top notch but a very descent meal. Good size portions and true cafe feel.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thanks for swinging by on your way out of town! We get a good mix of locals and visitors, but we want everyone to feel like a regular, so it's good to know that our food and service impressed. Next time you're in the area definitely keep us in mind! I'd love to welcome the whole family back.

All my best,
Manteca, CA
“Tiny cafe with amazing breakfast foods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on the way out of Tahoe for breakfast. The boys were skeptical of this tiny place, but I trusted the reviews. We were seated next to the fireplace and our orders were taken right away. The boys ordered the breakfast burrito with bacon and sausage - turns out they could have shared one. They were massive and delicious. I ordered French toast combo, excellent but I wish I knew about the Monte Cristo special before my food was dropped (that's my fave) my husband had the Hangover Helper: eggs, potatoes, chorizo, bacon, cheese and peppers. He asked if they could do no green peppers but it was pre-mixed. When it arrived the waitress said the cook tried to pull them all out. (Nice touch) We left happy and full. My only gripe was not being told about the specials. They were on the chalkboard :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
I'm so glad that you and family stopped in on the way home from Tahoe. From burritos to french toast, it sounds like you and the boys tried quite the selection. I'm glad that everything hit the spot! It's good to know that we were able to accommodate your husband's request, too. We're happy to do what we can! I hope that you'll have a chance to visit again and give our Monte Cristo a try. Thanks for the great review!

All my best,
North Carolina
“Cozy, great staff, good beer, fantastic food...average price for Tahoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you're looking to eat local, this is a great place for breakfast or lunch...a bit away from all the chaos of the downtown area, stop by here for some hefty sized meals, terrific service and nice staff. Beer was great, $5 each was good. Terrific salads, sandwiches, etc....thought the 1/2 soup and 1/2 sandwich for $7.95 was a great deal and even better when it showed up at my table. Will definitely head back next time I'm out there.

Visited February 2013
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thanks for stopping by during your trip to Tahoe! I'm so happy to hear that you felt welcomed by our friendly staff. We're proud to serve fresh, hearty comfort food, so it's good to know that everything hit the spot! Our draft beers are a recent addition, so I'm glad that you were able to enjoy one with your meal as well. I hope that the rest of your visit to the area was fun and relaxing. Stop by and see us next time you're in town!

Best,
california
“Great Little Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place is a rel sleeper. Driving by, one wouldn't know what goodness lies inside. From the excellent hamburgers to wonderful salads and sandwiches for lunch, and an equally good breakfast menu, this place deserves a stop. They also have a great wine selection.

Visited October 2012
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thanks for the great review, Dan! I'm glad that you like to stop in whether for breakfast or a hearty burger. Have you had a chance to visit since our renovation? We're excited to offer some new menu items as well as beers on tap. We'd love to see you soon!

Warmly,