“Small restaurant and terrific value” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Getaway Cafe serves alpine comfort cuisine just a short distance from your favorite outdoor activities in South Lake Tahoe.
Roseville, California
“Small restaurant and terrific value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This restaurant is small and offers what they call Alping Comfort Cuisine. In short...they offer great value and delicious meals. They are a little out of the way and cater to locals mainly, but well worth making a reservation (almost a must) and enjoying their extensive menu slections. I recomend this restaurant to family and friends alike...don't miss it if you are iin the Tahoe area.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for recommending us to friends and family! That's one of the highest compliments you can give, and we truly appreciate it. I'm happy to hear that you've had a chance to visit when you're in the Tahoe area. We've recently made some renovations to our space, and I'd love to hear what you think of the new look. Hope to see you soon!

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Fabulous little cafe. Home made”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous little cafe. Home made to order. We had lunch. Soup and sandwiches. VERY kid friendly. They bring kids drinks in sippy cups. When she brougjt silverware "don't worry if they end up on the floor, we have more". It is a cafe so I tate it as a 4. I rate 5's for fine dining high end meals. But if you want to eat where he locals eat this is it. Right off 50.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for getting in touch! We love welcoming guests of all ages, so I'm happy to hear that you and the kids had a great time. It sounds like you enjoyed your lunch, so I'm a bit disappointed that you'd rank us a 4 because we're not a fine-dining spot—comfort is the name of the game at our place! If there's any other way we can improve, do let me know. I hope to see you and the family again soon!

All my best,

Reno, Nevada
“Lovely mom-n-pop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The husband and I didn't want a casino breakfast and had time to kill so we drove to Myers (**no, this resyaurant is NOT technically in South Lake), which is a quick drive, but out of the city for sure. It was mainly locals and not crowded on a Thursday at brunch hours.
The waitress was super accommodating and pleasant. It felt like we were right at home. She noticed that I was (very) pregnant, but all she said was "can I start you with decaf"...obviously not a rookie server!
I had some banana nut pancakes (the bananas and nuts are mixed in--not piled on top!!) and biscuits and gravy (mediocre--no sausage in the gravy). Mr. got Juevos Rancheros.
Overall, a much better experience than casino dining.

Easy to find--on Highway 50 headed from South Lake to Placerville, its on your right, just past the Agricultural station. Easy to find. Reasonably priced too.

Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for making the drive out to visit us for breakfast. I'm thrilled to hear that you felt right at home. We want everyone who visits to feel like a regular! It sounds like you and the Mr. made some excellent menu choices with the Banana Nut Pancakes and Huevos Rancheros. I'm sorry to hear that the Biscuits and Gravy fell flat for you, though! Aside from that, if there's anything else we could be doing better, do let me know. Best wishes with the new baby — I hope all three of you will be able to visit one day!

Warmly,

Hillsborough, California
“A cozy cafe with great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stopped off at the Getaway Cafe based on a recommendation from a local. First time here and we come to Tahoe almost every weekend from the Bay Area.

Upon entering, it's a very quaint cafe. I think there's about 12 tables or so ranging from 2 person seating to a max of 4 per table. Doesn't mean they can't combine tables, but that's the initial set up. Oh, there's also a very small eat at counter/bar. Staff is very friendly, and I believe the owner was there too. They make you feel comfortable.

I ordered the breakfast burrito, wife had pancakes, both kids had the kids pancake meal. Food was good, service was prompt. I enjoyed my meal. Portion was just right, and everything was cooked perfectly. Wife and kids preferred the pancakes from Bert's on Hwy 50. They didn't say the pancakes were bad. Just not as good as Berts. What we did notice was a lot of the folks were ordering the omletes. We will be back to try the omletes. Look for an update review.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for stopping by to see us! I'm so happy to hear that you and your family felt so comfortable during your visit. We want everyone to feel at home! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. Definitely give our omelets a try next time you visit. I'd suggest the Sweet N' Sour French Toast too! I look forward to welcoming you and the family back soon.

Warm regards,

Laguna Beach
“The locals breakfast place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a great place for breakfast--it's the place locals eat their breakfasts. You know that a place is good when the California Highway Patrol guys, who could eat anywhere in town, come here for breakfast nearly every day--if you need a CHP at 7am, go to Getaway.

The "decor" is old diner. The service for both breakfast and lunch has been excellent (we have not had dinner here). The food has always been very good. The prices are reasonable. In short, this is a great place and a great buy.

Visited August 2012
Diane G, Owner at Getaway Cafe, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thanks for the review, Mike! I'm glad that you enjoy visiting for a relaxing breakfast or lunch. When was the last time you visited? We've recently reopened after renovations, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on the new decor. We've made some delicious additions to the dinner menu, too. Hope you can come by soon!

Warmly,