“Great Staff, Horrible Property” 2 of 5 stars

Midway Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   3876 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #52 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Great Staff, Horrible Property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Let me start out by saying I feel bad for writing a poor review, because the staff/owners? were very nice, and yes, the yellow lab was awesome.

We chose this hotel because it was not the cheapest and it looked not too bad for South Lake Tahoe when we drove by, and it had "free breakfast"

Again, check-in and the staff were wonderful, and the property was centrally located and easy to find.

When we opened our room it instantly smelled like smoke and when we closed the door, we knew we were going to be able to hear everything and everyone around the property. You could see light around the whole door, and the window was an old glass shutter window, haven't seen that style of window in years.

There was a small coffee maker, clock, and microwave, all unplugged so we had to set the time. Oh ya and there are only 2 outlets for the 3 appliances. The description of the room listed a refrigerator, but there was none. had a nice closet space with a good iron.

The lights in the room were dim, and one of them didn't work, while one of the other lights was tricky to turn on, There were no outlets by the bed, and the one above the desk didn't work, the other outlet was taken up by the microwave and clock, and the last outlet was operated by the switch next to the door.

The bathroom was small, the shower was even smaller with a low and very old shower head, I opted to not even take a shower. The toilet was small, old and the paint chipping.

We were in an upper room, and I think the person below us was living there, he had a fight with someone and she stormed out at about 3AM, and it seemed a group of people also came back and was continuing the party a few rooms over around 2 or 3AM, but its South Lake Tahoe and to be expected especially at a cheap hotel.

Next time I am in South Lake I will choose a better hotel, or just stay in Reno!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The nicest part of my stay here was the friendly and cute Yellow Lab dog the manager owned that gave me a warm greeting when I checked in. I realize this motel is rated just one star, but I am not sure it should be included on the Hotwire.com site at all. I must admit I usually do not stay at one star motels, but my general impression is they should be simple yet clean. This place had terrible stains in the carpet and the street noise and room noise from other guests was horrible. Good thing I had earplugs to use! The only reason I stayed here was it was the cheapest place I could get for just me alone on a little ski trip. Maybe that is about the only reason for anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room furthest away from the main road, I think that would be furthest away from Lake Ta...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Prescott
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff.
Rooms were clean and adequate. Clean bed, linnens and bathroom. This older motel is not fancy or the Hilton, but if you want a good night's rest, this facility is a good value. The continental breakfast is a nice bonus!

It appears the management is upgrading the rooms.

Great central location. Close to the lake, ski resort, restraunts and casinos.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

The owners are amazing and generous people that really go out of their way to make visitors feel at home. For cheaper than a camping spot you get a comfortable bed, fridge, microwave, coffee, mini-breakfast, and sun deck. Better than Motel 6 and half the price! Ask to see their guinea pig!

• Stayed September 2012
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

(Hmm. I'm not sure how the scoring system works. At the point of my writing, there were two reviews, with both giving "poor" reviews — yet their combined score somehow equaled "average." Let's see what my own "poor" review does to the average.)

There is no air conditioning. There is also no cross ventilation, hardly any ventilation at all. (There is a small window in the bathroom -- with no screen! -- but when the bathroom door is open, the door swings in to block the window and when the bathroom door is closed, it obviously blocks all ventilation. The only thing which is not blocked are the bugs, since there's no screen.) There is also a window in the bedroom, but you have to block it with the curtain, unless you want anyone passing by to see what you're doing.

The first night, they gave us two hand towels, but no bath towels. The second night, they gave us two bath towels, but only one hand towel. The first night, we had one unusually tiny soap and two single-use size packets of shampoo — although one of them was already used up. The second night, we had two soaps, but only one shampoo. Let me emphasize, these are single-use size packets.

There was a lot of dirt on the floor, and it was never vacuumed. Some previous guest had even left a price tag from a pair of shoes on the night table. After two nights, it was still there when we left. One chair was broken (at least, they replaced it for us). There was actually a users manual for the TV remote. (I've never been to a hotel that provided a manual.) It would have been even nicer if they provided a remote to go with the manual.

By the way, booking.org told me there was a gym there. Never was. Never will be.

The good news: a tv, refrigerator, and microwave which worked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed in some bad motels in Tahoe just to save a buck (we're talking $20/night, the type of place where you need to bring shoes to wear in the shower), but this motel bumped up their prices because they recently "remodeled" their rooms and since we're supposed to be adults now we figured we'd spend a little bit more money for two nights. Here's my impression:
Pros: Friendly staff. Refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in-room. Heater worked well, although see note about old windows below. Convenient location.
Cons: -Super noisy due to old windows; the street noise was the worst I've ever experienced, people walking outside sounded like they were in your room, and you could hear people talking in the parking lot.
-Old windows equals super drafty; there was also a gap under the door. We were there in the winter.
-We were on the first floor, so we could hear (and feel) every footstep the person above us took.
-No maid service during your stay.
-The "continental breakfast" consisted of boxed apple juice, small cinnamon danishes, and coffee from a small coffee maker. And that's literally it.
-It looks like the remodel only involved replacing the comforter and chairs in the room. Old stained shag carpet was not replaced.
-The bathroom door didn't close; luckily I was there with my fiance, or it could have gotten awkward.

Overall, I would say this was not good value for the money. We will not be back.

Room Tip: Rooms farther away from the office/Lake Tahoe Blvd could potentially be quieter. There is no elevat...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Midway Inn? Share your experiences!