“A Fantastic Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Zephyr Cove, Nevada
“A Fantastic Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I really liked my room; it was very clean. It had a balcony with a sliding door, with lots of rustling trees outside. The location is great, and the free continental breakfast in the morning was outstanding: Fresh fruit, giant bagels, and waffles. The staff is incredibly friendly! There is a dry sauna and a year-round hot tub, along with a fitness room and free washer and dryer. For the low price, I found it to be a great value. I had a good time.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room during quiet seasons (Spring and Fall); during the busy seasons, the street m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Salem, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here recently with my fiance while we were in town for a friend's wedding. I have stayed at other America's Best before and had clean comfortable accommodations. This was not the case here. The room was really gross. The blankets on the bed were stained and so was the pillowcases. The shower head in the bathroom is really low and I could barely stand under it and I am only 5'7". The rest of the bathroom was moldy and had badly patched walls. The walls were thin and you could hear everything going on around you. The breakfast consisted of bread to make toast and some freezer waffles. What was even more ridiculous was that they actually set out a tip jar in the breakfast area. The hotel staff in the office were nice, but the cleaning staff scared me a little as they were arguing loudly out in the parking lot. I made sure to take valuable with me and not leave very much in my room when I wasn't there. Overall this was a huge disappointment. I would encourage anyone to look around and only stay here as a last resort.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room because the walls are thin and you won't be able to sleep downstairs.
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Small rooms, odd layout - had to drive 100ft and cross the street to get to our room. Small rooms. Small bathrooms. Standard continental breakfast. Competent desk people, however they let non handicapped people park their cars temporarily in the Handicapped spaces (2). We had 2 rooms. Not worth the price. Not really near (walking) anything.

Room Tip: This hotel is not a good buy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jamesclark1, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Your experience with our hotel is in contrast to the thoughts of most the guests that have stayed with us. I regret you found our property to be priced highly. Considering we are one of the least expensive hotels in the area I can't imagine would be a more comfortable room rate than ours. I must say, I have rarely heard our rooms to be small... on the contrary, in our economy bracket most comments from guests are how sizable and clean they are. Perhaps you are comparing our hotel to a higher priced luxury bracket. It is true we have a unique property layout but many people find that charming as we only have 10 rooms per building rather than 50 where it might be considered noisier. We have spend much time considering our expanded continental breakfast and have chosen our current menu of: Bagels, Whole Grain Bread, English Muffins, three kinds of fresh fruit, Orange Juice, two types of cold cereal, instant oatmeal, low fat milk, coffee, tea and fresh filtered water. Again, most guests have commented at how our breakfast exceeded their expectations for our price range. Since you did not mention the free wifi, our free lobby computer kiosk, free fitness and laundry room, free private beach passes or our daily maid service I assume you have found no issues. You are welcome to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay in detail.
Martinez, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I realize I paid a low price for this room but with all the positive reviews I expected to get a clean, simple room. I did not. The unit should have been renovated more than 20 years ago, extremely outdated, too old to be able to look clean. Shower and bathroom were unsightly. Bed dreadful. The whole room had an unsanitary look that made this hotel one of the worst I have been to. Will not stay there again, even if it were free. Oh, and it is close to the Casinos but so are other 20 hotels that must be better than this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed with your experience. This is not a typical review. It would have been helpful if you had approached our front desk staff with your opinion, perhaps we could have taken some form of action to improve your experience including a room upgrade. You are welcome to contact me personally to discuss your experience... I would be interested to know which room you had been assigned.
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I am not quite sure what happened here. I have stayed in two other Americas Bests this year and have enjoyed modest accommodations for a good prices. This one was unfortunately much different. I thought being a value club member would place me in a reasonable room since I have stayed at other locations, but if I got the nice room something is very wrong. The room was very small, accessed by a dark cramped hallway, the shower head was only 5' high, the remote to the TV was for a different brand of TV and did not work. I didn't feel the room was dirty but it seemed so worn that it didn't have a clean feeling either. It looked like they had attempted to keep the room in shape by continuing to add paint but no other real maintenance had taken place. The floor was rather thin and I woke up to hear other guests apparently enjoying their stay better then I was enjoying mine.

The property was okay and the lobby was nice, after seeing other photos and some positive reviews I assume there must be some nicer rooms, just not the one I had. The breakfast was not very appetizing prompting me to skip it the second day of the trip.

The staff was nice enough and the rates were very affordable but I will do some serious shopping before I consider coming back. I will also consider be rather cautious before I stay at another Americas Best.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the nicer rooms or look for a different place to stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion. Our hotel maintains high occupancy during high season and perhaps some rooms are more popular than others. A comment from you to our staff would have been helpful as we may have offered you another room including an upgrade to make your stay more satisfying.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This place was great. We were planning on camping a few miles down the road, but at $40 thought that was silly. We found this place for $35 and took it right away!

Front desk service was great and the room was super clean and had a balcony and was stocked with plenty of towels and toiletries. Breakfast was a nice surprise - bagels, English muffins, waffles, cereal, bananas, apples, coffee, OJ etc.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for posting your kind review of our hotel. It's disappointing that more satisfied guests don't take the time to leave positive remarks. In contrast, it appears most guests that have a negative experience always post reviews. Thank you again.
SLC, UT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is showing its age. The standard older hotel problems appear like, low shower head (Really low I am 6 feet tall and the head was chest level), thin walls and ceilings (I could tell you where the people above me were at all times), and walls cracking.
The breakfast was a good selection for a free continental breakfast and it was stocked very well.
The mattress was very poor quality, the side my wife slept on had no spring left and would throw you off the bed if you got close to the edge. My side had a high hard lip and a hole that my knee would fall into. The mattress needed replacement in the worst way.
The item that made me regret my stay here is when I went to shower to get the smoke smell from the casinos off of me and finding wet folded towels. The towels appeared to be the ones we used in the morning and room service re-folded them and placed them where new towels should have gone. In all my hotel stays I have NEVER had a hotel fold used towels and reuse them. I will try another budget hotel in the area before I ever try this one again.
The only reason I am rating this hotel a two is because the front desk clerk that checked us in was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review. We regret you experienced any inconvenience with our hotel. Our hotel practices water conservation, as there is signage indicating this. Unless your towels are left on the floor we assume you do not wish or need to have fresh towels. Thank you for mentioning your room cleanliness, helpful guest services and your satisfaction with our expanded continental breakfast. Perhaps if you had made a comment to our front desk staff, appropriate action would have been taken and you may have been offered a different room or room upgrade. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!