“Almost no heat - not worth the price” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Travel Inn

You added Travel Inn to your Saves list
Travel Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3536 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #67 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Ann Arbor, MI
“Almost no heat - not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

While I wasn't expecting much from the Travel Inn, I was still shocked by the poor condition of the room. It was large by Tahoe standards, but had a strong musty smell. I suspect that this was caused by a combination of carpeting in the bathroom/shower area and almost non-functioning heater, leading the carpet to be constantly damp.

Heat for the entire two-double-bed room was provided by an electric baseboard heater about five feet in length. With the thermostat turned up to the highest setting, you had to put your hand within 6 inches of the heater to feel the slightest amount of heat. On the positive side, there is absolutely no chance of your kids burning their hands on the heater.

It was so cold in the room that snow that was tracked in to the entry area from our shoes the night before was still there in the morning! After a night of having the heat on the highest setting, it was still literally freezing in the room.

One more thing... there weren't enough parking spots for everyone staying at the motel, even though the "vacancy" sign was still on.

Having stayed at many of the cheap Tahoe motels, I would stay away from this one in favor of other similarly-priced places.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Big Bear Lake, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

One of the most reasonably priced places to stay in South Lake Tahoe and the accommodations are relative. The front office staff are very personable and kind. The beds are moderately comfortable. Being that it was literally freezing outside, it was unfortunate that the heater, on max, barely took the chill out. I had to put the two extra blankets and my comforter on my elderly road trip friend. Be prepared to bend your phone charger and laptop plugs because all of the electrical outlets are well overdue a change and are very loose, so, even if you get a connection, cords tend to just fall out. While the bedroom is an OK size, the bathroom is very inadequate. The stall shower is ancient and tiny and the shower head is barely at the five foot level. Even though I'm not a tall person by any means, I still had to duck down to wash my hair. My friend, who is 6'3" had a terrible time squatting, especially with a bad back. There also is no exhaust fan. Aside from fogging up the mirror, another obvious reason says an exhaust fan would be good to have. And being 31 degrees outside takes opening the window out of the question.

Morning coffee is available in the office. We had originally stopped at the next door Days Inn, which was about $10 higher. They (Days Inn) include a continental breakfast, but we wanted a full breakfast so we decided to get the less expensive accommodations. If we had seen the bathroom, we may have stayed next door, BUT all in all, if you want a reasonably comfortable and inexpensive stay, the Travel Inn has it.

As for breakfast, most restaurants in South Lake Tahoe are a bit pricey. There is a Denny's about 2 miles West of the Travel Inn and an IHOP a half mile East. We were heading East and both ate a full breakfast at IHOP for $20 total.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Red Bluff, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Some friends were getting married in Tahoe, and we wanted to attend, although economically it was a pretty lean time for us. I booked the Travel Inn after seraching on line for the cheapest motel I could find for just the one night, a place to sleep and nothing more. After the teasing we got from our friends about what the motel was going to look like, we of course were slightly apprehensive. But when we pulled in to the parking lot, everthing looked fine. Nice clean little pool out in front, we kept up exterior. The check in guy was very pleasant and efficient. The room was clean, and larger than expected. Only a mile away from downtown. Downfalls - bed was not super comfortable, ok for one or two nights though. Lighting in bathroom is very yellow. Finte for everyday, but not good if you are trying to get ready for pictures/wedding. Heater was not very effective, but it was not that cool, so we did not even try to have the guy come look at it. All in all, great for the money as a place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cerritos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

After the bad experience at Roadway, we went here an we were shown a smoking room without any evidence of anyone ever having smoked there. And the room was clean. The front desk person was very nice and helpful, both of them! All was good. So happy we did not stay in the motel next door with the stinky room and woman at the desk with the attitude. Ironically, both properties have the same owner.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Penngrove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

The Travel Inn is not a luxury hotel but it was within my budget and located conveniently to both the casinos and ski areas. It is located on the main strip on Lake Tahoe Blvd. Lisa, who works at the front desk not only was very polite, but took care of all of my needs. I had booked a two bed room for a visit with someone I had not seen in 25 years. My brother and I were in Tahoe to meet our father for the first time in years. when Lisa heard the situation she immediately upgraded our room to a two bed room instead of a single. Lisa was professional, patient and extremely polite. She answered all of my questions and made every effort to accommodate me as a guest. I have been a manger for a major retailer for over 12 years and it is hard to find employee's as courteous as Lisa. Because of Lisa's experience and her desire to deliver excellent customer service I will be coming back to the travel Inn for future business. Thank you Lisa and great customer service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

We booked two rooms on Dec 26 for a lesiure trip to Lake Tahoe.
Reception was bad. This lady had attitude problem and we were like under rader whole night. Always watched as we got in and out. Rooms were dirty , not vacumed,had filthy smell and heaters in one room had problem . seems da bedings has never been washed. These rooms needs makeover. They have coffee services in da room but dont even think about using those dirty pots. I would never stay in Travel Inn again--any of them and. Authorities concerned plz do sth about these . By the way we paid almost $100.00 per night inculding taxes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Friendly front desk person with check in and a great location to a grocery store chain.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Travel Inn? Share your experiences!