“Nice, Inexpensive Motel in Tahoe - Hot Tubs in Rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Tahoe Hacienda Inn to your Saves list
Tahoe Hacienda Inn
3820 Lake Tahoe Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
daytripper1977
“Nice, Inexpensive Motel in Tahoe - Hot Tubs in Rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is a terrific & inexpensive place to stay in Tahoe, as long as you don’t mind sacrificing décor for comfort.

I unexpectedly won tickets to see Brad Paisley at Harvey’s (and it was Labor Day Weekend), so had to scramble to find a room on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Expecting to not find any that didn’t cost a fortune, I was amazed that Hacienda was able to accommodate. I got a better deal by calling them directly than any online hotel site was offering. For a very reasonable price, we got a queen sized bed, non-smoking room, with a fridge, microwave & hot tub. Our parking spot was right in front of the room, which was very convenient.

The hot tub was kind of funny, because you have to fill it up with a regular bath tub faucet. It took about ½ hour for it to fill completely. But once it was full, I didn’t ever want to get out. The jets worked wonderfully and the hotel must have unlimited hot water supply, because the water coming out of the faucet never cooled down. Not all rooms have hot tubs, so you do need to request it. We just got lucky and got one by accident. They also have a nice outdoor pool and hot tub.

The bed was extremely comfortable!! I’ve stayed in many hotels with much nicer room appearances, but whose beds were horribly uncomfortable. This bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Another perk was the fridge/microwave in the room.

The only down side was that our room didn’t have a working air conditioner – but that wasn’t too big of a deal because we were only in the room at night. If you are staying during extra hot months, be sure to request a room with air conditioning. Also, the bathroom door was warped and wouldn’t open or close all the way, so the bathroom didn’t offer much in the way of privacy.

Who might not like it? Prissy people who focus on the cosmetics appearance of the room. Although the room was clean, it did have peeling wallpaper and a general “old” appearance. It also had a small old-school TV set. But who goes to Tahoe to watch TV?!

Who will like it? Anyone who wants conveniences & and a comfortable bed. I’d trade peeling wallpaper and a warped door for a hot tub and cloud bed any day of the week!

The staff was very friendly & overall it was a great stay. We will book there again for our next Tahoe visit!

Room Tip: Request A/C or Hot Tub in room - some do not have.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for two nights over the past weekend (Feb 22-24). We booked using booking.com for a fairly good rate (second or third best rate of all the South Lake hotels). We were given room #4, a king bed. Overall, the place was a perfectly adequate place to stay for a ski weekend for a budget-minded traveler. I would recommend this to any budget-minded traveler based on the price, location, quietness, outdoor hot tub, and cleanliness.

Details of our visit:
We arrived on Friday afternoon and were promptly checked in. As others have noted, the main office where you check in does have a funky smell, but we didn't spend more than 5 minutes there. A younger lady checked us in and was very polite. We were given an old style key and shown to our room across the parking lot. The room was an average size for a hotel room, single story with neighbors on both sides but we never once heard any noise from them or saw them. Our room was promptly cleaned while we were out skiing the next day.

The bed was a bit hard to sleep on but seemed perfectly clean, and the sheets didn't seem too old and had clearly been washed. We did bring an extra blanket since I tend to get cold, but the bed comes with a comforter (which I always take off) and a small blanket over the sheets. This was enough for us - we both stayed warm all night. There were 3 pillows which were hard - you may wish to consider bringing your own. The room was heated by 2 small space heaters, although we didn't need to use the second one except to dry our ski stuff one day. We found that the other heater was perfectly adequate for heating the room, contrary to what other guests have noted.

The bathroom was old and had some stains/spots but seemed clean enough to us to use, and everything worked properly. The water pressure was good. They did not provide shampoo and only a small bar of hand soap, so bring your own. They gave 2 small towels and 2 hand towels, but these were enough for us to dry off after the shower. The vent adequately dried the bathroom after a shower within about 30 minutes.

The property is obviously very old, as are many of the hotels in South Lake Tahoe. We have stayed at several other places in the area and found this on par if not better than some of the dirtier/scarier places. I have reviewed the Matterhorn on this website, where we also often stay, and would say the Hacienda is a very similar property. The main differences that I would say make the Hacienda a preferable place to stay are that:

(1) We heard absolutely no road noise from our room at the Hacienda, even though our room wasn't too far from the highway (this was surprising to us, I thought it would be loud), whereas we have heard some noise at the Matterhorn and Motel 6.

(2) We heard no other guests at the Hacienda, whereas at the other hotels we always heard other guests (and the place was totally booked on Saturday night - I guess everyone was just quiet?). We also saw very few other people, despite it being booked full. There was also ample parking - probably only a third full, whereas I have had trouble finding a parking spot at other hotels.

(3) There is a nice outdoor hot tub at the Hacienda, which we took advantage of both nights. The water was a great temperature, and we enjoyed a glass of wine and watched the pine trees over head for about 30 min - it was very peaceful (and even though we saw a few other guests during this time, none of them made any noise or bothered us - some other guests did come in as we were leaving, but otherwise we had it to ourselves!).

We did speak with another guest at one point who mentioned that the hotel rents rooms to locals for a pretty decent rate by the week. Perhaps this is why it was so quiet, since most of the locals probably get up early/sleep early. In any case, we never heard anyone and the place was quiet - we seemingly had it to ourselves.

We did not walk from here to anywhere, but drove with our ski stuff and parked in the Harrah's parking lot and walked to the gondola to ski. I have heard you could walk, but we didn't want to carry our ski stuff quite that far. There are some places within walking distance, but again we didn't do that.

I would say the main negative aspects of the property were that:
(1) the bed was hard - the Matterhorn does have more comfortable beds. But hey, we still were able to sleep so it couldn't have been that bad.
(2) the pillows - bring your own. And shampoo and a blanket. And maybe your own towel.

Other than that, as long as you go in expecting minimal amenities, the place will suit the average budget-minded traveler, as it was clean, cheap, and close to the majority of attractions. The owners were very polite to us and clearly need the business. I have a feeling if you are polite to them, they will do their best to accommodate whatever your needs are, within reason. There are certainly many, many nicer places to stay, but I think you'd have a hard time find a cheaper place to stay (well, that isn't full of questionable and very shady characters like the Blackjack Inn).

Overall, I would recommend this to any budget-minded traveler.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!

After a long day from skiing I went to check in to the hotel. I reserved a double bed room. When I went to check in they gave me a one bedroom. After arguing with the staff that I ordered a 2 double beds and showing them my receipt, they told me that they already gave my room away. When I asked why, they told me that they didn't have to honor priceline.com reservations list.
An hour later after calling priceline and told them about the situation and confirmation about the situation, priceline.com told me to go to another hotel and they would pay the difference.
Don't take the chance that they will give your room away.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car. It will be better than this place.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

So me and my friend stayed here a few months back, when we checked in the lady was very very rude, but the place looked ok from the outside so I ignored and went into the room. I felt very uncomfortable and found that the lock had been removed from the inside of the door so anyone working there could enter our room. This et alam bells ringing but we thought we were being paranoid....Anyway the place was pretty dirty which was the least of my worries because as we were getting changed we saw the man who owned or manages the place looking through our window through a crack in the curtain, we were scared stiff especially since the lock had been removed. We had to pack up our stuff and leave to stay at another motel. We were too scared to go back so we called to compain the next day and when we said he had been looking at us he said proove and then started laughing and hung up. I honestly do not think any girls/females should stay here!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011 via mobile

Last nite my husband and I was so tired. We got "the last room" just went to bed..had to take bedspread to prop. Up pillows, do to leaning bed....lights were not working..NO smoke alarm..handle fell off faucet hot tub blows cold air.... notice exchast fan didn't work packed with dust and dirt. Mold all over shower and walls..no towel rods. Don't use sink note do to plumbing.. water runs all over floor when you take a shower. Smoke alarms are not replaced she said do to people taking them..I will advise fire dept..this is not safe. Left with sore throat..I don't care how tired you are don't stay there. Requested refund all day owner to call us.. at 9 pm his wife decided to hand him the phone..he said report me I don't care..

• Stayed September 2011
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I got a double-bed room there for Labor Day weekend. When I got there, the lady told that there were no rooms available (?), so we will have to move to the Super 8 hotel further down the road. Bottom line: this hotel is doing overbooking of rooms, and it redirects the excess of clients to the buddies at Super 8 (you can actually see the same personnel moving around the two properties!). Irresponsible and disrespectful to the clients.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Akransas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

field mice in the room late at night scared the **** out of me getting up to use the bathroom. The room was cheap enough but so was the bed. The room had a kitchette but the stove was all torn apart and unusable. There were dishes but no silverware, not even plastic to eat with. Frankly it was a dive. If you need a place to drop your head its great . just wear your shoes to bed if you get up at night

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tahoe Hacienda Inn? Share your experiences!