“with points, good luck getting a good unit” 1 of 5 stars

Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3601 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
wisconsin
“with points, good luck getting a good unit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

like every hotel stay, there are good experiences and bad experiences. this time, i join the side of those with bad experiences...the good about the hotel: centrally located. has a small private beach.
the bad, the check in clerk couldn't even tell us which way to come in to the building to go to our room. the staff is courteous, but they allocated accommodations based on how you book:
we booked a 1 bdrm a month prior to our arrival using diamond resort points. having read the reviews, i knew some were renovated, some were not. we arrived to check in early. a unit wasn't available, so we preregistered and came back later. during preregistration, i asked whether the hotel was full, and was told no. we went at an off time, no skiing, lifts, gondola was working... so tahoe was not at all crowded.
when i came back to check in, i was given a room in the carson building. knowing that this bldg was undergoing renovations, i asked right there if we could get another one, and was told there weren't any available, that units are given on a first come first serve basis. so much for preregistration. once we saw our room - stained carpets, smelly, dated, right next to the renovations area, my husband went to see if there was any space in bldg #5, or another building, and was told no. he was told that bldg #5 - next to the beach and pool, is the most requested by owners, and gets booked like 2 yrs in adv. and that there weren't any others available.
Not long after this, i was standing at the lobby looking for cruise info, and i overheard someone call in to request a room transfer. the clerk told him there were 2 available, and he would come over to show them, so they could choose... well.... !@#$%.
I don't know if they were owners, booked 2 yrs in adv, booked a 2 bdrm, or were cash paying customers. whatever...no need to guess whether i'd be returning to this hotel. there are plenty of other choices where i can use my diamond/interval resorts points and get a better hotel room.

Room Tip: if you go, bring flip flops to shower... whatever they use to 'clean' leaves a sticky residu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We enjoyed this busy, friendly,quiet resort on Lake Tahoe. Although there were no ovens in the suite, there were many available barbecues close at hand. The pool and hot tub were appreciated, and the beautiful,sandy beach had ample lounge chairs for our use. We were a bit disappointed that our suite overlooked the parking lot,but despite that we still had peek a boo views of the lake.Nice and close to everything,however lake Tahoe is not pedestrian friendly!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family have been owners for over 30 years, in fact My Dad was on the Board of Directors and now has a nice permanent memorial garden on the property. I have read quite a few reviews about the property and decided I need to visit since I have not been there in 25 years. I have to say that I was impressed to see that they have made a lot of improvements. In fact I ended up staying in one of the buildings that has gotten a lot of complaints in the past. Most of the complaints seem to have been taken care of and the rooms have been updated nicely.

My only complaints would be the lack of an elevator, which in a higher elevation makes it a chore to haul all our stuff to the room on the upper floor. And the internet service is next to worthless. If I had the time I would have requested time with the maintenance department to inspect the wireless routers placement and made suggestions on how to improve service since I work in the industry.

They have added family activities like movie night, arts and crafts and other activities that was a bonus for our 5yo who was very happy that she got to paint a piggy bank and bring it home.

I look forward to visiting again and I hope there will be more improvements on the next visit.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator to get to a upper level room, request a room in the building closest to the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, Ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here in a one-bedroom with kitchenette and dining/ living room with sleeper sofa. The newly-renovated rooms were very clean. One bathroom had a small jacuzzi tub and the other had a full-sized walk-in shower.

The only downsides were the view of the dumpsters from the entrance to our building and the completely smoke-free campus. I don't smoke but my friend does, and was not allowed to smoke OUTDOORS on the balcony, and had to walk next door to the next hotel. Great for non-smokers like me, but very inconvenient for our smoker friends!

• Stayed July 2012
Yuba City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My daughter and I traveling with 5 month old spent 3 nights in mid-April on my timeshare account. They gave us a large corner suite that was awesome; large king size bed, 2 bathrooms, livingroom, kitchenette, plenty of room for baby's stuff! Within walking distance of restaurants and shopping and beach access. Everything in rooms was in like-new condition and was spotless. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpfull. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed one night in a queen room in the Carson Building although requested a room closer to the beach. The room had no view. It was an adequate efficiency type unit that was dark and dreary and would have been more disappointing if spending any amount of time at this "resort" : I wouldn't recommend a room in this building. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The price of the room was very reasonable. The hotel does have a small swimming pool and hot tub facing the beach and a few rooms directly beach front. Considering the location, if the view and the quality of the room is important I would probably stay somewhere else. If you want cheap and adequate room for a night this would suit your needs, just don't expect anything more.

Room Tip: Close to the beach
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

First to stay in newly renovated room. New carpets, furniture and beds. Great location on beach. Within walking distance to several restaurants. Complex is old but well maintained.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Tahoe Beach and Ski Club? Share your experiences!