“Cozy lakeside retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Dallas, Texas
“Cozy lakeside retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We have stayed at TB&S several times over 15 years and keep coming back. What it lacks in some amenities, it more than makes up for in convenience and central location. Pros: Right on the beach....this last visit, we went from the hot tub right to the lake for a blast of icy water and right back in the hot tub! They are updating the units with granite counters etc, but the overall impression is cozy lodge with balcony views. Biggest negative: not all units have full kitchen. Instead, there is a small fridge, microwave, and toaster oven. Since it was just the hubs and me, we made do....or shall I say,, we made reservations! All in all, the place is very clean, quiet, located right at Hwy 50 and Ski Run blvd. You can walk to casinos and Heavenly shuttle stops next door.

Room Tip: Request upper floor on poolside.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here 2 weeks ago on an exchange and were very pleased with our condo and the property as a whole. We were in a newly redone unit on the 2nd floor in Bliss Bldg. and it was extrememely attractive,comfortable and convenient. The king bed was great with very nice pillows and linens. The bathrooms were beautiful. Both the living rm and bedrm had flat screen TVs. The bedrm was spacious and there was plenty of storage space. The kitchen facilities were a little limited - no stove or oven- but it did have a microwave and toaster oven and was otherwise well-equipped. Housekeeping brought us a burner and pans so we were able to do a full breakfast. There were beautiful photos of Tahoe throughout our unit. TBSC is in a great location - right on the lake in the center of Tahoe near lots of restaurants and conveniences - great bakery right across the street. The staff was very helpful. We enjoyed the hot tub looking out on the lake almost daily. We decided we actually preferred this resort to our 2nd week up at Heavenly (NV side) and it was an easy drive to Heavenly or Sierra at Tahoe.

Room Tip: Our 2nd floor unit was quiet and private but since there is no elevator we had to lug our bags and s...
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Good location in South Lake Tahoe on the main boulevard. Easy walking-distance to the casinos and to heavenly village and the gondola that takes you up to the Heavenly Gondola Lodge. (If you dont like to walk 10-15 min, right in front a bus passes by every half hour and in 2 minutes you are there). There is a pizza hut right on the entrance to the hotel, which was great for me. The hotel has many amenities like it says on its webpage, but I didn´t get to use them for I was skiing or snowmobiling all day, and just came back to sleep. I did go to the private beach area once, which should be pretty awesome in summer (definitely going back), but at that time it was covered in snow. The Heavenly California Lodge is just 5 minutes away by car, very close, and if you don´t want to lose time going up the gondola to the gondola lodge, its a great location to be in. There was a free breakfast on Sunday, and a raffle where I won some ski goggles. I was having some trouble booking at the last minute some activities, but the staff in the front desk were really really helpful and didn´t mind all the questions or going that extra mile. Thanks for that! The room had been recently updated, and they were finishing some details in the building, but no excessive noise or anything bothersome. I stayed in a studio, which was good size and had a nice balcony/terrace with a partial lake view. There was a lot of parking, and it was free. The wi-fi had a fair speed, but was always working, and yes, it was free!

My car was really packed with snow one day, and since I was parked by a sidewalk, they had pushed all the snow to the side of my car, which I didnt appreciate much. I went to ask to the front desk if they had a shovel they could lend me, but apparently the maintenance guys weren´t allowed to lend us a shovel. So in my opinion, they should have a couple of shovels to lend to people like me. I didn´t make a fuzz about it because I wasnt going to use it that day, and the sun was coming out, but if I had wanted to leave at 8 am with my car, I would have had to use a broom from the room, and that I would not have liked. That is pretty much my only complaint. In general, good place to stay during the winter and to go skiing. Oh, and I saw a couple of big boats in the pier by the hotel, which I assume is another good thing about its location if you want to tour the lake. Summerwise I don´t know what things change or are different.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012 via mobile

We were able to walk the beach, walk to restaurants and shopping , 5 minute drive to heavenly and 5 minutes from casinos. Hot tub was loved by all

• Stayed February 2012
West Jordan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here on an exchange with RCI. We got a one bedroom for our studio. You can't beat the location as it is right on the beach. The kitchen area is small but they allowed us to check out a hotplate and pans so that we could still cook when we wanted to. The staff was very helpful. The resort and beach was kept very clean. Once it warmed up they put the ping pong table out on the beach. Pool is nice but small. To fully see the area, you need to have a car.

Room Tip: Request pool view room, as that is closer to the beach
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tracy, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just got back from our Tahoe ski trip and had the pleasure of staying at Tahoe beach and ski club. At first, I was a bit weary based on the reviews. However, after staying for two nights, we were pleasantly surprised and would not hesitate to return. The staff was very friendly during check-in and check-out. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. The room didn't seem old at all (as based on other reviews) and as a matter of fact, we were wondering if they did some renovations. It was nice to have the space to spread out in. We were traveling with our two little boys and appreciated the extra space. The partial kitchen was great as we were able to bring our own food and eat breakfast before heading out to the ski slopes. The hotel is right on the beach. While we didn't use it this time around, we were able to walk out and take in the nice scenery. great beach location.

There is an old smell as you walk into the hallways. Not sure what that is but the rooms did not smell at all. That was the only con we could see. Rooms were great, staff was friendly and location awesome. Especially if you have little kids. Great beach and nice little playground.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We have stayed at TB&S at least 3-4 times. Most recent was in summer 2011.
Great location: right on lake w/beach, near restaurants, Heavenly tram, and short drive to most any other activities, shows, casinos, restaurants, or shopping. Car is required.
Things we like about the resort: Spacious Rooms (we usually stay in 1 Bdrm Deluxe) with two bathrooms, very clean & well kept, staff courteous & helpful, Private Beach (lounge chairs under pine tress on beach are great), Courtyards between bldgs (grassy, open), Quiet, Free Parking, Free Internet, Plenty of Luggage Carts.
Things that one should be aware: Although large fans are furnished units do not have A/C (on hot days I can see this could be uncomfortable, but nights usually cool nicely), Furnishings are nice but consider this resort is older, but very well kept & clean. Comfortable but not a plush 5 Star type (perhaps this is why we find it so relaxing). Rooms with balcony's adjacent to Tahoe Blvd should be avoided due to noise with opem windows.
Favorite Restaurants: Artemis for great Greek/Mediteranean food, Goodfellas for Pizza, Red Hut for Bkfst/Lunch, Margaritas for local family owned Mexican Food, weekend dinner buffets at Mont Blu or Harrah's (at Harrah's call ahead for table reservation at window for great lakeviews), steakhouse at Mont Blu for higher quality meal-atmosphere-service.

Room Tip: Units with balcony facing Tahoe Blvd can be noisy (avoid these and units at end of bldg near gas sta...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tahoe Beach and Ski Club? Share your experiences!