“Good Location and Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3601 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #22 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Monterrey, Mexico
“Good Location and Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Good location in South Lake Tahoe on the main boulevard. Easy walking-distance to the casinos and to heavenly village and the gondola that takes you up to the Heavenly Gondola Lodge. (If you dont like to walk 10-15 min, right in front a bus passes by every half hour and in 2 minutes you are there). There is a pizza hut right on the entrance to the hotel, which was great for me. The hotel has many amenities like it says on its webpage, but I didn´t get to use them for I was skiing or snowmobiling all day, and just came back to sleep. I did go to the private beach area once, which should be pretty awesome in summer (definitely going back), but at that time it was covered in snow. The Heavenly California Lodge is just 5 minutes away by car, very close, and if you don´t want to lose time going up the gondola to the gondola lodge, its a great location to be in. There was a free breakfast on Sunday, and a raffle where I won some ski goggles. I was having some trouble booking at the last minute some activities, but the staff in the front desk were really really helpful and didn´t mind all the questions or going that extra mile. Thanks for that! The room had been recently updated, and they were finishing some details in the building, but no excessive noise or anything bothersome. I stayed in a studio, which was good size and had a nice balcony/terrace with a partial lake view. There was a lot of parking, and it was free. The wi-fi had a fair speed, but was always working, and yes, it was free!

My car was really packed with snow one day, and since I was parked by a sidewalk, they had pushed all the snow to the side of my car, which I didnt appreciate much. I went to ask to the front desk if they had a shovel they could lend me, but apparently the maintenance guys weren´t allowed to lend us a shovel. So in my opinion, they should have a couple of shovels to lend to people like me. I didn´t make a fuzz about it because I wasnt going to use it that day, and the sun was coming out, but if I had wanted to leave at 8 am with my car, I would have had to use a broom from the room, and that I would not have liked. That is pretty much my only complaint. In general, good place to stay during the winter and to go skiing. Oh, and I saw a couple of big boats in the pier by the hotel, which I assume is another good thing about its location if you want to tour the lake. Summerwise I don´t know what things change or are different.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012 via mobile

We were able to walk the beach, walk to restaurants and shopping , 5 minute drive to heavenly and 5 minutes from casinos. Hot tub was loved by all

• Stayed February 2012
West Jordan, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here on an exchange with RCI. We got a one bedroom for our studio. You can't beat the location as it is right on the beach. The kitchen area is small but they allowed us to check out a hotplate and pans so that we could still cook when we wanted to. The staff was very helpful. The resort and beach was kept very clean. Once it warmed up they put the ping pong table out on the beach. Pool is nice but small. To fully see the area, you need to have a car.

Room Tip: Request pool view room, as that is closer to the beach
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tracy, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We just got back from our Tahoe ski trip and had the pleasure of staying at Tahoe beach and ski club. At first, I was a bit weary based on the reviews. However, after staying for two nights, we were pleasantly surprised and would not hesitate to return. The staff was very friendly during check-in and check-out. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. The room didn't seem old at all (as based on other reviews) and as a matter of fact, we were wondering if they did some renovations. It was nice to have the space to spread out in. We were traveling with our two little boys and appreciated the extra space. The partial kitchen was great as we were able to bring our own food and eat breakfast before heading out to the ski slopes. The hotel is right on the beach. While we didn't use it this time around, we were able to walk out and take in the nice scenery. great beach location.

There is an old smell as you walk into the hallways. Not sure what that is but the rooms did not smell at all. That was the only con we could see. Rooms were great, staff was friendly and location awesome. Especially if you have little kids. Great beach and nice little playground.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
St. George, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We have stayed at TB&S at least 3-4 times. Most recent was in summer 2011.
Great location: right on lake w/beach, near restaurants, Heavenly tram, and short drive to most any other activities, shows, casinos, restaurants, or shopping. Car is required.
Things we like about the resort: Spacious Rooms (we usually stay in 1 Bdrm Deluxe) with two bathrooms, very clean & well kept, staff courteous & helpful, Private Beach (lounge chairs under pine tress on beach are great), Courtyards between bldgs (grassy, open), Quiet, Free Parking, Free Internet, Plenty of Luggage Carts.
Things that one should be aware: Although large fans are furnished units do not have A/C (on hot days I can see this could be uncomfortable, but nights usually cool nicely), Furnishings are nice but consider this resort is older, but very well kept & clean. Comfortable but not a plush 5 Star type (perhaps this is why we find it so relaxing). Rooms with balcony's adjacent to Tahoe Blvd should be avoided due to noise with opem windows.
Favorite Restaurants: Artemis for great Greek/Mediteranean food, Goodfellas for Pizza, Red Hut for Bkfst/Lunch, Margaritas for local family owned Mexican Food, weekend dinner buffets at Mont Blu or Harrah's (at Harrah's call ahead for table reservation at window for great lakeviews), steakhouse at Mont Blu for higher quality meal-atmosphere-service.

Room Tip: Units with balcony facing Tahoe Blvd can be noisy (avoid these and units at end of bldg near gas sta...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

First, the positives:
1. On a beautiful stretch of beach (too bad there's snow on the ground)
2. Walking distance to shops and eateries
3. Nice front desk personnel
4. It's in Tahoe and we absolutely love Tahoe.

Negatives:
1. Powerful smell of moldy carpets in the halls--hits you as you open the entry door to the building.
2. An even more powerful stench of stale cigarettes hits you when you open the door to the unit itself. And, this is a a non-smoking room!
3. Desperately needs updating. The place (can't call it a resort) must be aware of this because it looks like they have just given up on it too. For example, where the wood is rotted (bathroom cabinets, kitchen cabinets, wood trim around shower, etc), they have just tried to control it with a clear coat of wood seal (cabinets) or a clear silicone caulking (around showers). So you can see all the wood rot still there. Pretty gross. And where the trim had to be replaced, they have used random pieces of wood that do not even match. Basically, there are reminders everywhere they don't think it's worth fixing properly and that their only objective is to just hold it together somehow.
4. Ant infestation. We tried to control it by washing them away with water and keeping all food containers tightly closed. Judging by the type of place this appears to be, I wouldn't be surprised if their response to a complaint would be spraying down the unit with RAID. We have two little kids here and we can't take that chance.
5. The kitchenette is smaller than the smallest powder rooms I have ever seen. Maybe 5ft by 4ft at most. The refrigerator is a hotel-mini bar size. The open freezer compartment froze everything on the top shelf of the refrigerator--(yogurt, cheese, eggs).
6. There is no cook top in the unit, which is not the fault of this place since they do state "partial kitchen". We're peeved at our exchange company for misrepresenting the unit. But, the no cooktop is a warning for those who assume a cooktop is a basic standard for a timeshare unit. You can check out a hot plate and a pot at the front desk. (What? Strange). Unfortunately, you'd be cooking at the breakfast table since there is absolutely no space in the kitchen for such a contraption--and no ventilation.
7. The upholstered furniture is very old and the cushions are mangled looking. Can only imagine how dirty this is. Tried to do the best I could to cover it up with extra bedding (assuming at least the sheets get washed every now and then).
8. The mattress on the sofa pull out bed is so old that you can't get it to flatten out (curves up like a U). Didn't have the heart to make our 5 and 3 year old boys sleep there last night so we let them sleep with us--we'll worry about the consequences when we get back home. For now, I don't want them anywhere near that dangerous contraption--metal parts everywhere, too small/old mattress to cover it up.
9. The game room--again, powerful ashtray and mold smells, super old everything, couch too disgusting to even think about letting the kids sit down. Had to find things to distract the 3 year old from wanting to stay and play with the old toys. The 5 year old actually noticed the place was dirty and didn't mind getting out of there and never mentioned going there again.

Why aren't we getting out of this hellhole? We're here right now, and the first thing we're going to do today is contact the timeshare exchange company that put us here and have them find us something else. But, given this is thanksgiving week, I have a feeling they are going to tell us the entire town is booked up. Very disappointed already. We're going to put on happy faces for the kids though. Would hate to ruin Tahoe for them.

Room Tip: I think building 5 (closest to the water) might have been updated. But, that's also the building...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
San Bruno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

The resort is older, but very clean. Very close to all kinds of good eating and right on the beach. We walked on the beach in the morning, my husband and I were alone on this trip, but next time we will bring the kids.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tahoe Beach and Ski Club? Share your experiences!