“HoJo's S. Lake Tahoe” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Elizabethtown
“HoJo's S. Lake Tahoe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

When I booked this hotel, I understood that it was on the lake, and I chose a room with a Jacuzzi. When I arrived, the only Jacuzzi room was a handicapped room, but I was offered a room with a “lake view.” The “lake view” from the room was a bit of the lake on the left, and a bit on the right. The rest of the “view” was of the motel that was actually on the lake. But we did have a great view of their parking lot. The hotel is tired and is apparently being renovated, which it badly needs. Our room had a hole in the wall patched with spackling, but not painted over. The coffee maker had only one pack of coffee, decaf, and the condiments were packed in a ziplock bag. The room was small, but adequate. Would I stare there again? Probably not.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I recently spent the night here on my way to Reno (I had an afternoon flight and preferred staying at Tahoe over Reno) and was pleasantly surprised. First of all, as I pulled up I contemplated cancelling my reservation and going somewhere else. The place looked a little dumpy and was definitely run down. But, since it was only for one night, I stuck it out and am glad I did.

The room was large and the bed reasonably comfortable. Everything was clean and the staff were very friendly. Sure things weren't as up to date as other more expensive hotels but everything worked just fine and I got a great night's sleep (which is really all I care about anyway).

Yes, the place can do with an update but, all in all, for $35 a night (especially at Tahoe), I feel like it was money well spent. I can't say I'd go out of my way to stay here again but I also wouldn't be adverse to it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We spent two nights at this dump they call a hotel. The rooms and the hotel needs a top to bottom upgrade. But as is, I would avoid it at all costs.

While the rooms were clean, they were old and uncomfortable. Further, there were parties going on all night in the parking area, with people coming and going all night, thanks largely to the strip being a half mile away.

If that wasn't reason enough to stay away, the fact that is has NO direct access to the lake is another. In short, I would suggest shopping around. You will find better, as there is not shortage of hotels, resorts and motels in the area.

Room Tip: Go with an upstairs room... to help cut down on the noise. But if there is a party going on in the p...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in January 2012. The room was large and clean, and most importantly it was very warm. The lady at the front desk was very friendly. There is a diner called Heidis in front of the motel and there is an Italian restaurant across the road. We ate in the Italian both nights, it was really good. About 500m up the road there is a bar called McDuffs that was busy and good fun.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vallejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

We got a last minute reservation on a busy 3 day weekend for a decent price. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and there wasn't much road or other guest noise. The only downers were a very small shower with not the best water pressure and the heater took a while to heat up the room.

• Stayed February 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I spent almost an entire month at this hotel. The rooms are very clean, and they provide free wifi, and a continental breakfast. The hotel is close to the beach/lake, but the best part of our experience, was the managers. This couple are so gracious, helpful, and informative, that they made all of the difference. We will always stay at this hotel when we visit Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011 via mobile

Very middle. Not good and yet not bad. Very easy to forget! Decent if you need a clean room to sleep in. Pool is right near the main road!

• Stayed June 2011
hojolaketahoe, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn S. Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for your review-- as a small 50 room property, we do our best to ensure a clean, comfortable and pleasant stay at a value.

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn S. Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!