“Don't pay more than five dozen bucks for this place” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #39 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Northern California
“Don't pay more than five dozen bucks for this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The fact that I am sitting in this dive right now writing this review is partly my own fault. I procrastinated on booking a Tahoe weekend and as a result was left to looking for a "deal" on Hotwire. Now I am left to regret being late and cheap and looking forward to completing our one remaining night in this place.

That said, it is amazing I paid nearly one hundred bucks per night to stay here. How is that possible? This dingy, 1950's-built hovel is a joke for what they are charging. If I had paid half the price, I would likely not be so critical, but at certain price points you expect a certain quality of hotel.

I look around my room at the lamp which has the bulb ripped out of its socket, the headboard which has come out its wall anchors, the paper-towel thick towels (and only two of them by the way even if we have a party size of four), and the pathetic "breakfast" which consists of some Safeway donuts, bread with peanut butter and jelly, and a couple of cereal options. I have to ask what I am paying for.

South Lake Tahoe is littered, and I mean that literally, with this type of lodging accommodations. This just teaches me it is worth it to book a property you can actually review and perhaps pay a bit more money to avoid getting stuck in a dump.

If you are in need of lodging on a last-resort basis, you could do worse, but I would avoid this property if you can. Not getting what you are paying for.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
hojolaketahoe, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn S. Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write us an review, we appreciate all guest comments.
I'm sorry to hear about your guestroom experience. We have taken note of your comments and will be making improvements as needed. Also, as relatively new management to the property-- there are renovations scheduled in the near future. We do hope that you will give us another chance when these renovations are completed.
In response to your comments about the high room rates; Tahoe in general has a very seasonal market and all hotels and motels in the area will have fluctuating rates throughout the year- summer, winter, concert series, etc. We take pride in the fact that we offer competitive rates with our surrounding properties.
I hope that this experience will not deter you to visit us again in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Howard Johnson again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I picked this place to stay for 2 rooms, one room for my mom and one room for my husband and I. The rooms were clean and simple. However, one room we checked into had a lingering smokers smell. I'm really sensitive to cigarette smoke so I'm able to point it out right away. I brought this to the attention of the manager and he was more than happy to check us out another room for the same price. The bathroom was clean and it was close to CVS pharmacy. Continental breakfast was also very nice with lots of variety. They had yogurt, orange/apple juice, bagels, a toaster, donuts, coffee, and cereal. All of this for a great low price (I think we paid 85$ for the cheapeast room). All in all, a great trip and we will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

this trip was spur of the moment, was gunna be a day trip but we couldn't fit everything we wanted to do into just one day. so we searched for an hour or so,hoping to find something in our very small price range. all i can say is that the young lady who helped us made us feel right at home, she found us a room within our budget and offered us lots of coupons and discounts to all the shops and restaurants in the area. she was so friendly and accommodating,and we were even happier when we saw how nice our room was. very cute and clean,we even had a view of the lake. its very comforting to know you can find such nice people and places without having internet access or any plans at all. we will be coming back for sure and i would recommend this place to anyone who wants a great location and atmosphere =)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Great value motel which was in a good location, with clean and comfortable rooms. The staff could not have been more helpful and Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place to visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed here after reserving rooms for a team. In one room, the heater did not work. In another room, the electric card lock did not work. They attempted to double charge me. The manager was difficult to understand and seemed to have trouble understanding me. He also attempted to charge me for rooms I did not confirm for reservation. Avoid this place at all costs. The Best Western nearby is slightly more expensive, but much nicer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

The room was super clean, the bed was comfy and the managers are super friendly. Nice little continental breakfast included. The price was certainly right for this stay and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I was here right after Christmas and it was quite surprising. The room was a bit small as the king bed took up most of the room. The little table and chairs came in handy and love the little closet. I was able to utilize the table and chairs for a few good nights of monopoly. The bathroom was very tiny, but if you have been to Japan, this is typical or luxurious by many standards.
The staff here was real sweet and took care of us whenever we had questions or needed assistance with anything. Loved the free parking, the ability to have dogs with a small nominal fee which is nothing compared to other establishments. The shuttle bus to the ski resorts was right outside. The breakfast was continental but pretty extensive. It was always fresh and plenty as long as you didn't wait till the last minute to come and get food!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn S. Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!