We found the Stardust through a deal on Travelzoo last fall. We were already thinking of a ski vacation in February and decided to do some quick research on the place. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and found more PROs than CONs. So for the price ($500 for a 1-bedroom unit for a week in high ski season), we figured we'd go for it. Kept our expectations modest, based on the reviews, and were happily rewarded by a satisfying stay.
First of all, let me say that we are avid skiers who like to explore different mountains when on vacation. We are more sports-minded and practical vs. luxury seekers. (Well, we hope to be that someday, but not just yet...) Our thrills come from skiing all day and spending the evening relaxing and reviewing the day's favorite runs. So if you have the same mindset, this place may be good for you. This review is for our winter stay at the Stardust.
Best things about the place:
1. Location, location, location! No need for a rental car, we walked everywhere. 2 minute walk to Heavenly Village and the Gondola (cross the street and you're there). 10 minute walk to the casinos.10 minute walk to restaurants and supermarket. 10 minute walk to the Transit Center to catch the bus to Kirkwood, and other ski areas. Can't stress enough that this is what made us so happy. When your legs are screaming after a great ski day, it's nice to NOT have to worry about any sort of "commute" from the ski slopes to your hotel.
2. Staff was very helpful, friendly and welcoming. Just good folks.
3. You can purchase discounted lift tix at the Stardust for Heavenly, Kirkwood, and Sierra at Tahoe - a few bucks off, and you don't have to stand in line when you get to the ski areas.
3. Though the room was 70's in decor, it was CLEAN. Fresh towels and sheets, a big fridge, and a mini-kitchen equipped with microwave, coffee maker, and toaster.
Our unit had 2 brand new, flat-screen TVs (not HD) but with good cable selection and reception. Good size and space overall (we had the 1 bedroom unit), and we were glad to call it home at the end of the day.
4. Free laundry room, internet, breakfast (good donuts!). There was also a hot tub and heated pool - you just have to ask and they will open it up.
I would recommend this place to skiers looking for a clean, friendly place to stay. Not luxe, but comfy. What we saved on lodging, we used to pay for lift tix, and eat meals at some of the good restaurants in the area. Wanted to stretch the value of our vacation dollars - and very happy that the Stardust helped us do just that. If we come back to Lake Tahoe for skiing, we would stay here again.
Skiers will find it super-convenient to walk to the Heavenly Gondola. Or, you can go by bus and explore other ski areas. You can take Ryan's Express bus service to Kirkwood ($65 roundtrip with lift tix); or reserve seats on other buses to Squaw (free) or to Sierra at Tahoe (also free). Variety is the spice of skiing life at Lake Tahoe!
Also recommend these restaurants in the area: The Driftwood Cafe, Womack's BBQ, The Stateline Brewery, and The Riva Grill. The Casinos all offer huge buffets, too.
- Also Known As:
- Stardust Hotel
- Stardust Hotel South Lake Tahoe
- Stardust Hotel Lake Tahoe
- Stardust Lake Tahoe
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, TravelClick, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Agoda so you can book your Stardust Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.