“Beautiful beach, gorgeous views, with shade trees and clean restrooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pope Beach

Pope Beach
Highway 89, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Sunbathing, Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: Wide sandy beach, popular with families.
Haddonfield, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful beach, gorgeous views, with shade trees and clean restrooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Pope Beach is simply beautiful, just off Rt 89. There is a wider, more populated part of the beach when you first enter and park (lots of parking, $7). If you go further, the beach narrows and gets a bit quieter if you want a more peaceful experience. The views of the lake and mtns. are incredible. The water is very clean, though cold if you're used to ocean temps. There are nice, CLEAN bathroom facilities all along the beach - so great. There are some benches and picnic tables, and lots of spots under the shade of pine trees to stay out of the sun.
There is a spot to rent kayaks and paddle boards, too.
The only negatives, for me, are that the sand is pretty coarse, not fine like we're used to, and it irritated my feet. If you want to go into the water or take a walk, I'd suggest water shoes or flip flops. The beach isn't very wide and by the water it's narrow and slanted, so no long beach walks for me.
That said - it is a gorgeous spot, convenient, with parking, and shade. Go to the end and see the beautiful meadow on the other side of the road - just beautiful. Enjoy!

West Chester, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“I don't see what all the fuss is about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband had a work training somewhat nearby Tahoe and I had heard from lots of Californians (we're only living here for a year) that I HAVE to do Tahoe. After reading reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided we'd start at Pope Beach. My reaction? Eh, nice enough.

The sand on this beach is big and gravelly, not that that's terrible but it hurts a little more to walk on. It's super crowded, and PHEW the traffic of people coming at 3pm (we had gotten there hours earlier) was ridiculous. Cars just sitting, gridlocked, for about a mile.

We did the 'Kayak Tahoe' which was just a bunch of kayaks and paddleboats and paddleboards on the beach…. we were so glad we only did 1 hour. In mid-August the water was bitter cold, which is what I expected from reviews, but why would anyone try paddleboarding here? We saw people fall in and they stood up and said "I'm ready to go back." You can only kayak within 200 yards of the shore so my visions of kayaking on clear blue waters was not even close. We just kind of paddled out a little, the waves brought us back, and we repeated until the hour was over - all the while trying not to get too wet since it was frigid (btw, impossible - keep that in mind. You are sitting in a little seat of water, so you will be shivering). I definitely would not do it again, nor would I recommend it. What's the point of just being in a kayak 200 yards out? Whoop de doo.

Pope Beach itself was crowded with no nearby hiking (I'm talking trails where I don't have to sit in traffic for 45 minutes to go half a mile). I ended up kind of wishing that we had gone to Yosemite instead.

SANTA CRUZ
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The beach is gorgeous, surrounded by the peaks of Lake Tahoe. Grills, picnic tables, bathrooms. It has all you need for day on the shore. Not enough trash cans. Be prepared for the crowds, especially on the weekend. Location can't be beat!

Omaha, Nebraska
“Great for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We rented a couple of paddle boards for a couple of hours and took turns - worked great! Picnic tables were in partial shade and we brought along a couple of awnings as well. Parking is close as were the restrooms. Had an excellent picnic and day at the beach!

Visited July 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A lovely beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Clear water, great choice of water sports. Take your own picnic as there is only on place to buy snacks, which is very limited and has slow service.