“Best Resort in South Lake Tahoe” 5 of 5 stars

Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Lake Parkway, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Dallas, Texas
“Best Resort in South Lake Tahoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The resort has the best location in South Lake Tahoe as the Heavenly Gondola is across the street by Heavenly Village . The resort has good breakfast, spacious rooms with kitchens and its clean. The service was good and we will be coming back next year.

Room Tip: Look on their front web page. They have countdown exclusive rates and packages.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We brought our family of 5 to the Forest Suites Resort and stayed in a 2 room suite, which was just perfect. It offered tons of space, a complete kitchen and 2 full bathrooms all of which were spotless. The staff was always helpful and the GM is a hunk! Another bonus is the free breakfast. From hot waffles to hard boiled eggs, there was something for all 5 of us to fill up on. And even more impressive than the property itself is the location. You can't get more central in S Lake Tahoe than a stones throw to the Heavenly gondola. I would absolutely reccommend this hotel for your next visit to Tahoe and have already booked my next stay!

Cumming, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This was our third or fourth time staying here in a one bedroom suite with pull out couch. Would we stay here again, sure. On the positive side The location is one of the best on the south shore for Skiing access. Only steps away from the Gondola and lots of night life. We only interacted with one of the staff during check-in and he was very nice, upbeat and communicated well. Lobby was clean and comfortable. Used the free computer to print discounted lift tickets. Hot tub was nice after a day on the slopes (small). On the negative side This is a very old hotel so be ready This property was saved by the gondola and town reconstruction a few years ago but for the price paid the rooms badly need makeovers. Shower heads are very low in height as were the case in most old hotels (could be fixed with a $20 extension from Home depot. Need more blankets, especially when using the pull out couch for the kids in the Suite. Better Blankets would allow the dry heat to run less at night saving the property $. Heat was good but grates ratted when running waking me up. Got free breakfast once but don't bother unless you just want toast and juice. Again we like this place for it's location, the room was clean just very old and worn. We would/will stay here again due to the location but for the same price of $200 a night during Christmas we can stay at the Embassy Suites as well and you know what you will get there ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Flat TV screens promised by management in Dec (mentioned in earlier comment) not in our room early Jan. Location, room size great. Staff good. Rooms old and so many irritating things wrong from broken locks bent keys no saucepan lids broken lights etc. fridge hard to access as door opened wrong way. Room needs systematic maintenance and a critical eye Suggest management stays in a room for a few nights with a family and cooks to understand what it is like. We are having a good time notwithstanding the above. Would we come again? Maybe

Room Tip: Ground floor close to spa
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
ForestManager, General Manager at Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear William,

I wanted to touch base with you and let you know we have not ignored your comments. We have been able to use this as a training tool for our team with the importance of par levels and attention to detail in our rooms. We believe we have been able to correct many of the issues mentioned here and I appreciate your honesty and candid comments. We absolutely hope you come back to our resort anytime and certainly during your long holiday.

Best-
Bonsall, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this property. The rates were very good and when I arrived I was amazed by the location and also by the size of the room. We had a one bedroom Suite and it was really roomy and equipped. The other thing I didn't expect was the great breakfast that was included. There were a lot of food options and good coffee! They offered us some free wine and snacks in exchange for being "green" and bypassing the full daily linen replacements which we were fine with. Overall, we were very comfortable during our stay. It is a nice, well kept property and a really good value. The staff was also super nice and helpful.

Galveston Island, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011 via mobile

This place is great for a family. I think a suite is the only way to go. Two bedroom, two bath, small kitchen. Right by Heavenly Gondola, away from the crowd. Small but nice breakfast is included. I have been to Lake Tahoe many times. I am usually on a budget (so I can travel more), a this place fit our family of 5 perfectly! It's really an apartment complex.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear "Love The Carribean",

Thank you for commenting on our wonderful resort. We are proud to have the best location in South Lake Tahoe as we continue to provide free breakfast, free internet & free parking. With all of our oversized suites than can sleep 2-6 people we take great pride in being a perfect destination for families during all seasons. Can't wait to see you soon!

Best-
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Fearing the worst, but liking the price, I booked a three night stay at the Forest Suites Resort combined with a ski package from skiheavenly.com.

I was early for check in and was told my room was needing to be inspected before I could check in. Since I was earlier than the 4pm check in time I didn't mind. He said he would call when it was inspected and ready. 30 minutes passed and still no phone call, so I went back to the front desk and a very helpful lady just switched some room assignments around and got me into a room that was ready. So I was pleased with this, but why couldn't the first guy have just done that in the beginning?

Upon arrival to my room it was old, but very clean and well stocked. I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of towels, shampoo, soap, coffee, everything I needed. Again, the room was old and outdated, but everything worked and nothing smelled bad.

Over the three day stay things went fine. As others have mentioned, the location is the best thing this place has going for it: two minutes to the gondola, shopping, movies, restaurants, this place is a real estate land mine if someone wanted to buy the place.

My only complaints are two fold and ultimately result in my rating of average vs. very good. First, the complimentary breakfast was a zoo and not well stocked. In fact, the first day I went down to breakfast at 9:30 (it ended at 10:00) and the only thing left was cereal and milk. And the place was trashed. So I got some cereal and milk and while I was eating it, the person in charge of the breakfast took the rest of the cereal and milk away! It was obvious she was closing early and not concerned about the guests. Having learned the "system" I went early the next two days and was able to get what I needed to start my day, but it was still very hectic, crowded and not well stocked. Ideally they need another person on staff (what about one of the three people working the front desk in the morning?) and they need to keep it more clean and stocked.

The second complaint was about the wi-fi. It works, its easy to access, but it is SLOW. Tried to stream a movie on Netflix and it would have to buffer every 10 minutes. In today's fast paced world, fast wi-fi is a greens fee for hotels, and they are in need of a serious upgrade.

In summary, set your expectations beforehand and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Building 3 is decent, but I have a feeling other buildings are better.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village? Share your experiences!