“A good base for our snowboarding holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   930 Bal Bijou Rd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #10 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A good base for our snowboarding holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 10 nights as part of a two week trip to Tahoe and San Francisco. this was booked through Ski Safari and Lake Tahoe was our snowboarding time.

We checked in on a Friday night at about 9.30pm after a four hour drive from SF airport. We were very glad to get to our room (115) which was a corner suite with views straight onto the lake from both sides.

Room had a kitchen, bedroom area with sofa, table and chairs, bathroom etc. There was a lovely big bed but the best thing was that the room had its own fire..gas..which could be turned on and off easily. this meant that when coming back from a days snowboarding and we needed to warm up..we could turn it on and warm up instantly.

Staff were very helpful with every enquiry we made including recommendations for excursions, travel advice and more.

Points to note
1) safety deposit boxes are free and stored behind reception. you can access these any time you like with a member of staff as they hold a second key
2) about a two mile walk to the Heavenly gondola so use the free bus which stops outside the hotel at 8 past the hour and 38 past the hour.
3) hotel staff can book snowmobile tour tickets and also cruises on the two lake boats that operate. We went on a dinner cruise on the MS Dixie which goes from Zephyr Cove. this was a good trip and we got a discount by booking through Lake View.
4) this was a good base for our tour around the ski resorts of Lake Tahoe
5) we were advised of Walley's Hot Springs which was about 35 mins drive away. We visited here one evening, $30's each and it was worth every penny. spent about three hours in the hot water, watching the stars chatting to other visitors and locals.

Downside - Breakfast.
Having stayed in lots of hotels we opted for the "continental breakfast" hoping that we would either be full enough to last until lunchtime, or be able to make something at breakfast and take it with us up the mountain. Continental for us means cereal, fruit, meat, cheese, pastries etc.

Continental at this hotel is coffee or hot chocolate and stale, small pastries or muffins. We tried the breakfast on the first day..and then didn't bother again..which is a shame as we paid for it!

Also, the breakfast room was small, with only a couple of seats and wasn't very inviting.

Luckily, having kitchen facilities we were able to go to the local Safeway (big supermarket across the street) and buy some cereal, milk etc. Also, Heidi's restaurant is next door to Lakeshore Lodge and these guys do breakfast of champions...pancakes, waffles, etc etc.

For lunches we bought some meat, cheese and rolls and made these ourselves for mountain food!

So, we had a nice stay at Lakeshore Lodge and Spa, there were some really good points about this place, some of which we didn't explore such as the pool, hot tub, treatments etc and I would recommend it...but...the thing that was lacking was a restaurant for breakfast. The breakfast was poor and there was nowhere for residents to socialise, talk and mix.

Room Tip: try and get a corner room, or one on the ground floor. ground floor rooms still have the views of t...

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was searching for a place for my wife and I to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I researched lots of places and happened upon this little gem. They have standard rooms, condos, and one romantic condo. I read about the amenities, saw that they were offering a mid-week special, and went for the romantic condo.

The romantic condo was nice. It was dated, but hey, it had mirrors everywhere, a hot tub in the living room, a fireplace next to the hot tub, a fully equipped kitchen, and an outside patio that was right on the beach! My wife got up each morning and sat in the living room, looking out at the view of the lake and surrounding mountains.

The only drawbacks to the condo are that you could hear people walking in the condo above and wood for the fireplace was not provided. Wood was available for sale at the front desk but we just went to a store to get some. You also have to go to the front desk to request matches.

As for the service itself, I spoke with two different staff members by phone before arriving. I asked where I could get gift baskets, asked for romantic restaurant recommendations, and asked if they could deliver flowers to the room provided I had the flowers delivered to the lobby. They were very personable, and extremely helpful in planning the finer details of this trip! They were also kind enough to allow us to check out a little later than usual.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the place is not easy to find. It's tucked behind a busy street and there are lots of potholes on the way in. In addition, breakfast is included but it's not much. There's coffee and hot chocolate, apple juice, some standard muffins, and fruit. After the first day, we decided to eat breakfast elsewhere.

I definitely plan to come back to this location; a very enjoyable experience!

Room Tip: Get the romantic condo!
Miaoli Tw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great location+++ Friendly staff. Clean and comfortable room. Fireplace in the room was special.

Some reviews said that it's a little bit of out of date, but overall, I felt it's quite good. Besides, waking up in the morning and seeing Lake Tahoe just outside was really wonderful. Couldn't wait to run to the beach although it's winter and there were snow and ice on the shore :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Galt, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I spent one night here for my birthday and we were very happy with our choice to stay here. The room was very clean and had new furniture including the bed, and the bathroom had been recently remodeled so it was like new. The front desk staff and everyone we talked to was extremely helpful. The most outstanding feature was the beautiful view of the lake. The beach connects to the hotel so we took a nice walk along the shore and just enjoyed looking out at the beautiful scenery.

The building is older and doesn't look that impressive from the outside, but inside the rooms were exceptionally clean. We would recommend this lodge to anyone. We're looking forward to coming back in the summer.

oakland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have stayed at this facility three previous times, and this property is great value for families and couples. This last stay, my family and I (along with one other family) rented a two bedroom, two full bath condo, full kitchen, a lakefront view, and we were not disappointed.

Upon check-in we were greeted by friendly staff who offered advice about places to go sledding. Our condo had a bedroom downstairs with a queen bed and full bath, and upstairs there was a queen bed, full bath, and a surprise small attic-like room, which was perfect for our 4 kids to have a slumber party in. It was a separate room so the adults could still have privacy and not worry about making noise so as not to wake the kids. On arrival, the condo was very clean, though a bit dated in decor. The kitchen was well stocked with plenty of plates, bowls, silverware/kitchen utensils, pots/pans, bbq utensils, glasses, and wine glasses. This is much appreciated, as I like to feel like I'm at home and don't need to pack too much. There was dishwashing soap, sponge, and dishwasher liquid also. Perfect for a party of 7.

We had a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe. In warmer climate, a stroll along the beach is perfect and is only a stone's throw away. We didn't use the spa or hot tub, but in my past stays, I have and liked both. Many years ago, before I had kids, my husband and I stayed here and got a couples massage that was very relaxing. There's also a complimentary breakfast, which we didn't take advantage of, but I've read is quite decent.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. You have Safeway across the street, there are plenty of eateries that are walking distance (Heidi's great for breakfast), Heavenly and the casinos are all less than a mile to a mile away. Call the property itself when considering booking, as I was offered the two-bedroom condo which wasn't listed on any travel discount site (they said it was all booked).

For what you get, this facility is really reasonably-priced and an excellent stay for families. Keep it up Lake Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa. We hope to come back again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have just returned from a two week ski holiday in one of the two bed condos. The accommodation was excellent and the condo was kept spotless by the cleaning staff. The beds were also very comfortable and the views over the lake amazing!

The reception staff were always very helpful and on arriving booked us in very quickly.

The accommodation is located close to the ski slopes and the courtesy bus stops just outside.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this accommodation and hope to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent a week at lakeshore with two condos directly on the lake. We were on the first floor rather than the ground floor which suited us as we had small children in our party (3, 6, and 11 years) So i felt safe as the proximity is so close to the water. We stayed in a two bed, with a king size bedroom and mezzanine. I had read some reviews which talked about the decor being dated but we found it clean, comfortable and not dated at all with tv,s in both bedrooms as well as the lounge. The water was always hot for showers and the maid service was an added plus which we were not expecting. To be honest you don't really care as the view and position on the lake was breath taking, waking up to those views each day was amazing..... The staff were fantastic after the airline lost our bags the reception team actually sorted out the problem with the airline so we didn't miss any ski ing time. The ski ing is amazing and the ski bus stops right outside the reception to take you to the California lodge or heavenly gondola. We skied from the California lodge where the lessons for the kids, adults and nursery were, the lessons were above expectation and the slopes were Incredible with amazing views back over the lake.

I visited the spa for a massage which was lovely the decor in the treatment room (eg linen) could of been at a better standard but the therapist and treatment was really good just what was needed after a days ski ing. The local restaurants were good, the brewery, and Italian across the road was lovely very welcoming. We took the local bus to heavenly to visit the casino for new year and the buffet at Harrahs casino is well worth a trip for the views from the eighteenth floor. I would recommend this self catering accommodation to families with no hesitation

Room Tip: Ask for the condo on the lake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!