“Wonderful Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

10% Off with #AstonLife
Ranked #20 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Wonderful Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

My new husband & I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon. I go to Tahoe every year with my family in the summer and have never stayed at this hotel. I found it online and was overjoyed with the 3rd night free deal. I am more picky to hotels now esp because I work at one myself. When I called the hotel to confirm my reservation I let them know it was my honeymoon. Upon arrival into our room we had a basket complimentary from the hotel.

We had a fantastic room that faced the townhouses in the back. It was a deluxe studio. The only thing I disliked about the room was it was dark there wasn't good lighting.

The front desk was extremely helpful our whole trip and really helped us out. We even decided to stay an extra night and they gave us a deal!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Tahoe for any reason. There were noisy people in the hotel through the hallways but we all have to remember that isn't the hotel's fault so there's no reason to get mad at them.

We will definately be back!

• Stayed June 2012

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I was here over a weekend in early June and this place was great. I was getting married on their beach and the staff was very accommodating. They went above and beyond to make our stay great. We booked our wedding over the internet and they recommended everything from the preacher to the guitar player, etc., and we were not disappointed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo and it was very nice. I would stay there again tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here during our honeymoon road trip and chose this hotel based on a special offer-- buy 2 nights, get the 3rd free (which, admittedly, was poor judgement on our part). Thank goodness it was cheap, because that's about all it had going for it. The lakefront location is nice, and there is a fantastic bakery just across the (busy, multilane, practically cross-walk free) street.

We stayed in one of the one bedroom condos that is in the main building, and our unit faced the aforementioned busy road. Thus the patio we were promised also faced the road and was incredibly noisy. The furnishings were very dated, and the overall feel of the place was just so-so. The hall to our unit smelled terribly, and the other guests who stayed here were noisy. One evening we were woken up by a security guard knocking on our door to ask if we were the ones who had called in a noise complaint. No, but now you've woken us up, thanks for that.

We were also told we would have free breakfast, although apparently our stay was during the off season (mid-May is off season? which season would that be? ski season? summer beach season?) therefore, we would not be receiving breakfast. If you find yourself in this situation, do not go to Heidi's pancake house where you will be served huge portions of lackluster omelet.

For a family trip this wouldn't be a bad spot, you have your own kitchen and the beach is on the property. Plus, I hear all of the units are furnished differently, so you may find yourself in a modern spot that doesn't face the noisy road. However, do not stay here on your honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Rachel,
Thank you for your posting and please accept my sincere apology for the items you mentioned. Please know that though many of our guests do like the view of Heavenly Mountain from our Lake Tahoe Blvd side units, we understand your request and will definitely move units if possible if you prefer one of our 'property side' locations. We have also addressed the other operational items you mentioned in your posting and thank you for the valuable feedback.

Our skiers continental breakfast is available in the winter months (we offer it from Heavenly Mountain's opening day to closing day), and in the summer months we change to offer complimentary Kids Camp at our private beach all day (9am-12 noon, and 1pm-4pm, closed Mondays) for the many families that visit us in the summer. My apologies again for any confusion regarding our amenities times/dates. In the summer a great off-site breakfast spot is Red Hut, only one block from us, if Heidi's is not your style.

Please email back to me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can assist you in any way in the future, or if you are able to visit us again. Thank you.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We got a good price, which always makes things nicer. Our condo apartment was super clean with kitchen, living room, and a separate bedroom. Our patio overlooked the pool area. The front desk was super nice, friendly and helpful. We couldn't have asked for a nicer three days in this lovely city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in early June. It wasn't the height of luxury, but it was a solid value. We had a one-bedroom unit with a hide-a-bed in the living room. The unit was the size of a typical one-bedroom apartment, meaning it wasn't at all cramped, and it had a nice patio.

The bedroom was relatively comfortable with a queen bed that wasn't the nicest bed I've ever slept in, but it was very good - a solid four on a five-scale. The room had a flatscreen TV on the wall facing the bed, which was a very nice touch.

The living room was large and fairly well appointed. The couch and one of the two large chairs in our room the day we arrived were about the ugliest things we'd ever seen. You can see them too - just go hit their garage soon. Right after we checked in, we got a phone call asking us if we'd mind the hotel moving in a new couch and chair the next day - they were remodeling. (We could also tell they were remodeling by the paint and spare tiles in one of our closets.) The new furniture was comfortable and much less tacky.

The kitchen was decently equipped, though the kitchenware was somewhat old and beat-up. It's a good thing we didn't want to use the pitcher in our room - it was particularly worn/gross.

Climate controls in the unit were a bit sketchy - the heat seemed to only heat the bedroom, with a gas fireplace heating the living room. They worked fairly well however, though it was hard to keep the bedroom at a comfortable temperature.

As to the hotel amenities, the free wireless worked extremely well, including in the fitness center, which has a decent amount of aerobic equipment that on one else was using...score! There's good free coffee in the lobby, along with DVDs (and a player in your room), and the staff was pretty friendly. The location is excellent.

One recommendation - there's a joint in the marina just down the road called Wildman Coffee. It doesn't have a listing here, or I'd write a really nice review on it. They have a really broad food menu - we never got past the gyros, which compare extremely favorably with the best gyros we've had in Chicago. Go there. Get them.

All in all, we've stayed in nicer, but at a much higher price. We've also stayed in far worse for a higher price than we paid. It wasn't the most memorable place we've ever stayed, but it was a very good deal, particularly for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Benicia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have stayed here twice. Once in November 2011 and again in May 2012. First time we stayed in the lodge. It was nice, pretty much a step above a standard hotel room with a kitchen and fireplace. In May we were there for my wedding, and had a hotel block for any guests who wanted to stay. I got to see four different condos, all nice, some better than others. If you have a specific sleeping situation I would ask for beds that fit your situation. Some of the places had two beds in a room and some only one, they were pretty accommodating at check in to fit our needs but during busier seasons you may want to call and request something specific ahead of time. The three bedroom with a loft set up has: Two bedrooms on the first floor with a full bathroom including a bathtub. The second floor has the kitchen and living quarters, full bath without bathtub. The third floor is a small loft with one or two beds depending on your unit. This would be a great place for a family vacation! I plan on staying here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Initially were assigned a room with very outdated decor and amenities. After looking at 4 different 4-bedrooms, decided on room 452. Unpacked everything and settled into room. Started to cook dinner and realized there was no hot water. Went to water heater and found gas to be shut off and water heater looking like it had recently sprung some type of a leak due to the dried residue on top of heater as well as down the sides. Called maintenance to find if there were any issues, they replied that there were none noted. Lit water heater and it began to heat water.

Family member took a shower an hour later and noted water to be lukewarm, at best. Inspected heater and noted it to have shut off again completely along with pilot light now unlit again. Called maintenance and they came to our room at approximately 9pm, 1 hour later. After inspecting heater, maintenance decided it needed to be replaced and would be replaced first thing in the morning. I called front desk to notify them that they could call us ASAP in the morning to coordinate heater replacement. By 10am front desk still hadn't called so I called them and they said they would call plumber immediately to find out schedule of replacement.

At 11am I again called front desk and was told that water heater replacement would take place in two intervals. First interval would be to hook water hose up to heater and let it drain out. An hour later plumber would then come in and replace water heater. That would mean heater wouldn't be replaced until approximately 2-3pm that afternoon!

Called front desk to let them know this was unacceptable. After lengthy discussions it was FINALLY offered to upgrade our room to #625, which is a very nice and centrally located room. Staff was sent with a golf-cart to aid us in our move. Once inside #625 the rest of our stay was top notch and first class. Michael at the front desk was very helpful and knowledgeable.

I would recommend staying in #625 if the pricing is right.

Room Tip: Some of the 600's will give you a ground level patio and either a lake view or lake front room...