“Pretty Decent & Close to EVERYTHING” 4 of 5 stars

You added Inn by the Lake to your Saves list
Inn by the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 Lake Tahoe Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Bay Point, California, United States
“Pretty Decent & Close to EVERYTHING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have found this place pretty decent for the most part. It's clean and friendly, the rooms are comfortable and our A/C works which is really nice. Although we didn't get a lake view room which would have been very nice, it didn't really change my opinion, yes there is a trailer park in our view, but we really are only staying just one night and didn't find it a big deal. The one thing I would say I didn't like is that the hallways I noticed are very warm, they don't seem to have air conditioned halls. The Lake is right across the street, and easily accessible by walking. You have a Safeway, and Bank of America not too far up the road and quite a few restaurants to choose from. Would I stay here again? I would but not more than one night or two. Would I recommend this Inn? Yes, I would. I did read that a few people found the rooms smelly, I didn't notice a smell and a few people were complaining the Lake was across a busy road, to this I say it is across a busy road BUT as I said before it is EASILY accessible by walking across the street, which does have crosswalks, so it is in no way impossible to cross the street safely to get there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks for your detailed review which I am sure will be helpful to others. Summer has come early this year and we are excited about the activities planned for our neighborhood. Inn by the Lake will be the host hotel for the Race the Lake of the Sky standup paddle competition over the weekend of June 27-29th. This will take place at Lakeviwe Commons the newest and we think best public beach in the Tahoe Basin. The Inn will also be one of the sponsors again this year of Live at Lakeviwe a free Thursday night live concert series, starting June 20th, also taking place at the Commons which is located roughly 100 years west of the Inn. Please come up to enjoy!

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Auburn, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for years because the price is right. The staff has always been helpful, professional & friendly. The Hotel, however, is definitely in need of a face lift. The heating/cooling system seems outdated & struggles to keep up. The spa jets were non-functional so it was like sitting in a hot tub of water. The rooms are good sized & comfortable, they just look old.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
What a relief!

Initially, I thought you were refering to the age of management and was relieved when you specified the Inn. Yes, IBTL opened in 1982 and we have worked diligently to keep it in good repair, friendly and clean. Now that the economy is greatly improved we are working on plans to update our architecture and overall look. More to come on this later. We sincerely appreciate your repeat patronage. This winter a jet supply line to our spa, encased in concrete, reptured. Unable to repair in the winter, we operated it as a hot tub. We completed the necessary repairs over this past weekend and our 20 person, bi-level spa will return to full service tomorrow.

For those intrested in the grisley details, we initially had no idea just where the pipe, burried under multiple layers of brick, concrete and soil, had ruptured. Our initial exploratory efforts were unsuccessful. We then retained the services of a leak detection service. They pumped gas into the suspected faulty lines and isolated the leak to a 5' section of spa wall. We cut through two layers of brick and as many layers of concrete to find the cracked 2" PVC pipe. We then had to cut into the gunite spa wall, avoiding other pipes, to make the necessary repair. A local mason then came on site to replace the bricks and return the spa to its origional glory.

I am not sure yet of the cost of reparis and do not much care. However, I do sincerely regret that our spa was not fully operational during your stay and we apologize.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place was recommended to us by a friend and we were pretty happy with our stay - especially for the price we paid (about 100 dollars for 'lake view' room).

Positives:
- Room we got was extremely big and good value. We did see the basecamp hotel and in comparison felt this room was much better value for money,
- Front desk lady was very helpful and friendly
- good location, with some decent food options nearby - mcduffs, brown bear cafe
- Big floor to ceiling window, and room was clean

Cons
- Lake view was obstructed! but stll a view so can't complain
- there was a noise from the air conditioning across the hotel all night which we couldn't control.

We'd stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We were of course pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your very constructive input. We apologize for the apparent machanical noise which disrupted your nights sleep and will investigate this further. Our 5 acres do feature numerous Jeffery pines, most of which tower over our guest room buildings. Our website shows actual views from our lakeview units. Thank you again for writing and we look forward to your next visit.
Regards,
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Upon check in the front desk staff was friendly. After a ten dollar tip he gave us extra bath robes for the hot tub which was nice since there were 5 of us. We had a German exchange student staying with my wife and 2 daughters. We wanted to show her Lake Tahoe. The location of the hotel was great. Right across the street from the lake with great views, and close to state line. Now the bad. I asked for an upper floor so we would have better views of the lake. I was told that all suites, which we had were on the ground floor. I was not told this at booking and was disappointed. The room itself was shaped funny, and it had a 1970's type of feel to it with the furniture and layout. The bathroom layout was even worse. The sink is right in front of the bathroom door, so you got hit by the door when it was opened. When we went to use the hot tub at night the water was hot, but the jets were not working. Again disappointed. I saved the worst for last. When i used the room coffee pot in the morning, I found an old used coffee packet in the grounds holder. This grossed out my wife and I. What do you say to that. The pot also had old coffee stains in the bottom. I would never stay at this hotel again. Great views, but overall very disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not choose a suite they are all on the ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Let me begin by extending our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations and our standards. We have taken the liberty of making an anjustment against your credit card and hope you will accept this gesture in the spirit in which it is intended. We take great pride in our housekeeping team and are embarrased that the coffee maker in your Family Suite was not properly serviced.

Gratuties are rare at our reception desk and certainly not necessary. The Family Suite you stayed in is located on the 1st floor of our Lake Building. Wwith two queen beds and a sleeper sofa in the parlor it is the only one bedroom unit we have that can sleep 5. All of our other one bedroom and two bedroom suites are located on the 2nd and 3rd. floor of our Lake building and feature lake views.

Thank you for writing.
Colusa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There were so many reasons why this trip was a nightmare. The front desk was not helpful, they would talk nicely but not offer any help. It was very strange. The place smelt of mildew and kept very dirty. We had a suite so I was surprised it was the way it was. There are also mirrors everywhere that look creepy. The bathroom especially as there is a space between the wall on the other side and the bathroom, and then a mirror. Like something you would see on a creeper show where they video record you. Given the 80's decor, the tootless front desk person, it made the uncomfortable stay even more so.

Room Tip: The rooms walls are very thin so try something on the top floor on the end.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
This was posted to our site in error. The guest did not stay at Inn by the Lake. We are endeavoring to contact Trip Advisor to have it removed.
Regards,
Dan McHale
Morgan Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We Spent two nights had a puppy we felt welcome The Staff was great Karla housekeeper very nice and Lizzie at the Desk all very warm and friendly great view of the Lake. The View in Room 104 was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the VIEW
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Delighted you enjoyed your stay and that Lizzie and Karla were especially friendly & helpful. It is always nice to hear that ones efforts do not go unnoticed. Please come back and see us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just stayed here for our anniversary and I was happy to see the cleanliness of the room because she is a clean freak and when she says its clean, it's clean. Front desk and the maids were friendly and helpful. The heating system was ancient but didn't really bother me once the room warmed up it stayed a good temperature the next 2 nights we were there. I know the owners or people that work here can't control this but I've never heard so much racket coming from the room above us in the middle of the night. Sound like kids dropping golf balls on the floor and running around. Finally I had enough at 1 a.m. And banged on the ceiling and whoever it was got the point and let us sleep the rest of the night lol. I would stay there again, I feel like we received a fair price on a nice room.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and the high level of cleanliness we maintain at the Inn. We understand how important good housekeeping is and are fortunate to have a seasoned team that maintains our high standards. We wish to extend our apologies for the noise which disrupted your sleep. When staying in a first class lodging property never hesitate to bring matters of this attention to the 24/7 reception desk. Typically, all it takes is a call to the offending room from our Guest Service Represenative to quell the disturbance. We also have security available if necessary and we never disclose the reporting party. Thank you again for sharing.
Best regards,
Dan

Been to Inn by the Lake? Share your experiences!