“Beautiful view, nice experience except for the heating system” 3 of 5 stars

Inn by the Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 Lake Tahoe Blvd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150   |
Ranked #28 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful view, nice experience except for the heating system”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I arrived after the first freak snowstorm of the season and the hotel was nearly empty (the town was nearly empty too). The local temperature had dropped from the 60s to the 20s almost overnight. The desk clerk, whose name was Rosie, couldn't have been more gracious and welcoming, and upgraded me to a lake-facing room. The visit would have been ideal except for the very noisy and not very efficient heating system which worked erratically. It took about 12 hours for the room to reach a serviceable temperature. My sense was their heating units (or maybe just that one) are probably long overdue for replacement; at another time of year, it might have been just fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Please excuse my delay in responding to your constructive comments. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the fan coil unit in your unit not working properly. We are one of the few tahoe properties with interior corridors and central heating.air conditioning. We should of detected the problem with the unit in your room which allows you to set the tempature to your particular preferences. We owe you a more successful upgrade. Please let me know the next time you plan to visit the Lake so that I may make amends.
Happy Holiday,
Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cali
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was in town for a geocaching event and since many of the festivities were being held at this hotel I decided to make it easy on myself and stay there. Bad plan. Upon check in they told me I was in a standard room with no view. When I booked, I had booked a room with a view. They only had suites left with a view (go figure) I went ahead and upgraded. The view of the lake was lovely. However, in order to have that view, the room (or at least, my room) was situated directly above the pool. All evening you could hear people in the pool/spa area until 11 or midnight. The room itself was large but unimpressive for the price. I was there in June and the A/C in the room did not work. With the noise from the pool area I could either try sleeping in a muggy/warm room or try to cool the place down and have noise drifting up from down stairs. I won't be staying here again. Not worth it for the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for any problems with the air conditioning in your lake view suite. Glad you enjoyed the view. We last hosted the geocaching event in June of 2011 so I wish you would of contacted us with your concerns sooner. I just returned from vacation where we stayed at multiple hotels. At several we experienced minor shortcomings which were corrected promptly when I called the front desk. We work hard to avoid problems but appreciate the opportunity to respond and correct shortcomings promptly.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a lovely upper room overlooking the lake. Our champagne was ready for us on arrival in our room and we sat and drank it on our balcony and enjoyed the view.
The room was a good size and the beds were comfortable.
There are plenty of eateries nearby and a lovely breakfast cafe right on site with more great views of the lake.
I have no complaints, I would stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your very detailed description of your experience at Inn by the Lake. This is as it should be and we appreciate your post.
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I, and many of our wedding guests, stayed at Inn by the Lake on the occasion of our wedding in August 2012. (The wedding itself was held elsewhere.) We had a mostly positive experience, but with one very big negative that turns what would have been a 3.5/4 into a 2/2.5.

Upon check-in we were greeted by a very nice clerk who knew that we were one of the two bride+groom couples staying there that weekend; there was even a thoughtful sign behind the desk welcoming us as "Mr. and Mrs." [our name]. We stayed in a top-floor lakeview suite, which had dated decor (especially the bathroom) but tons of space, walls of windows, and a full, updated kitchen. It had a great lake view, though I heard from a friend who had a lower-level lakeview room that hers was parking-lot view. Our bathroom had a huge tub with a mirrored wall, which must have been glorious in the 80s, but at this point the tub's "jets" were vestigial and the mirrored wall was just creepy. Our bedroom was comfortable and quiet, and nicely separated from the suite's living area. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or multi-level whirlpool, but they looked clean and fun from the vantage point of our balcony, which overlooked the pool/whirlpool area.

The one thing about IBTL that forces me to write a more-negative-than-positive review is something that happened to our wedding guests. Before I entered into a contract with this place to have our guests stay there, the hotel assured me--in writing--that there would not be a 2-night minimum stay. (I knew that some of our guests would only be coming for one night, so a 2-night minimum was a deal-breaker.) However, I found out about a week before the wedding that the hotel did in fact have a 2-night minimum, and that they had been turning away our guests who wanted to stay for only one night.

I called the hotel, spoke to someone who was very sympathetic but didn't have the authority to waive the 2-night minimum policy, and so I left a message for the person who had originally told me that there was no 2-night minimum. He NEVER RETURNED MY CALL. The hotel never offered to make it up to us in any way. We'll never know how many guests were turned away and had to find accommodations elsewhere. I feel like they tricked us into recommending their hotel to all our friends and family. The worst part is that the victims of the trick weren't my husband and I, but our friends.

Bottom line: If you don't mind dated decor and are willing to risk a tangle with bad management, this place does have some spacious rooms (depending on where you are in the hotel) and a certain 80s-fabulous charm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for sharing your perspective on Inn by the Lake and bring your experience to mine and other attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the apparent confusion concerning the terms under which your room block was established. As you noted, we frequently handle multiple wedding parties each weekend especially during our busy summer season. Weddings are joyous occasions and we feel bad that your lodging experience left you with mixed feelings.

A note to others planning weddings. Unlike many resort properties, we do not require advance payment or for that matter any form of guarantee when we set up a wedding block under the terms outlined in our one page Group Resume. When guests establish their respective reservations a one nights deposit is collected. As specified on our resume, ALL WEEKENDS REQUIRE A 2- NIGHT MINIMUM STAY. During certain periods of the year this is negotiable. Again as stated under, Group Block Drop Date, rooms not reserved at least 30 days prior to the arrival date, are released back for general sale.
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My sister and I stayed here the night of the fireworks on Labor Day weekend. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is right across the street from a beach on Lake Tahoe. They not only provided chairs for us to watch the fireworks, but also gave us blankets to cover our legs as the temperature cooled down. What a nice experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
danmchael, General Manager at Inn by the Lake, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Delighted you enjoyed the view of the fireworks over the Lake on Labor Day. Like the 4th of July this is an annual tradition here at Inn by the Lake.
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We visited Lake Tahoe with my husband. We found so many hotels, motels or lodges to choose finally a friend helped us to book this hotel. We were happy to know that the hotel is nice, clean and convenient. The location is not far from restaurants and convenient store it could be reached in 5 minutes drive and you can see directly to the lake. The room is spacious as well as the bath room. They have a fridge, microwave, iron, coffee maker. The price is reasonable even though you can find cheaper accommodation around with the same condition. They have a decent pool too. no regret after all. If you choose a room across the lake the price is higher.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
You said it all! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding I attended. The location is very central and it's easy to get to Stateline, NV or Emerald Bay on the west side of the lake. An unfortunate consequence of this is that the hotel is located on a very busy stretch of road. If you have a room facing the road and you want to leave your balcony door open, it can get loud. The lake is beautiful. I had a partial view in the pool building, but it's not worth the extra money in my opinion. It's true that the other side of the hotel overlooks a trailer park, so pick your poison. Parking is ample and convenient in the back. Overall, the property is nicely maintained and the rooms are comfortable and clean, if a bit dated.

• Stayed August 2012
We are very proud of our housekeeping and maintenance departments. Thank you for recognizing them.
Dan

Been to Inn by the Lake? Share your experiences!