“Good hotel on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe

You added Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe to your Saves list
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3411 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Timber Cove Lodge)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Good hotel on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great hotel on the beach and very Kids friendly. Hotel is right on the beach and you can enjoy great views of the lake and snow clad mountains right from your room Patio. Rooms are clean and staff is friendly.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Rooms are nice, location is awesome right on the beach and close to everything in South Lake Tahoe, plus of course ski resorts. My tip: for breakfast, go two buildings down the road (towards Nevada) and eat at Heidi's--their food and service is always amazing too.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brandon R, General Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Eliot19,

Wow, that's fantastic that you have been coming here for a decade! We appreciate your exceptional loyalty and for sticking with us through the transition.

Please reach out to me during your next visit so I can shake your hand and thank you for your return business.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Newly remodeled lobby and restaurant. Great outdoor and indoor setting for casual dining/bar. Kids safe to be in close sight but not right there at all times. Setting allows for separation of parties and different seating areas.

ON the lake, amazing access. Close to grocery, restaurants all in walking distance.

Dear Dena,

Thank you for your short but sweet review. We're glad you like our newly renovated lobby and look forward to your return.

By the way, I love your TripAdvisor picture. You look like someone who embraces life.

Best regards,

Seaside, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at this hotel with my family, we love the view to the lake, the rooms are small but very clean and cozy. We spend time taking pictures and walking in the pier. Service is very good and strong Wi-fi signal. I recommend lake view rooms. I love staying in this Hotel.

• Stayed December 2014
Dear Rosa,

Thank you so much for you kind review. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return. We feel fortunate to be able to live and work in such a beautiful atmosphere.

Best regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you're a forgetful person who tends to leave things behind especially things of great value, I warn you to stay away from this hotel. I admit, I could be forgetful sometimes, but most of the time I would remember things. Just is the case when I checked out of my room C302 on January 4, 2015 at around 10:45am. I left my Beats headphones in the room and I only realized this a few hours after I'd made a 4 hour nonstop drive home (got home at around 8pm because my aunt and I were still sightseeing at Heavenly Village). That morning I had a gnawing feeling that I had forgotten something but I just couldn't pinpoint what it was. The feeling was very strong, though, that I told my aunt about it a couple of times, but then I just couldn't specify it to her. It was annoying because I didn't usually forget my stuff. I was wrong...I was already in bed when I finally realized that I didn't have my headphones. I immediately called the hotel (at around 1 am) and explained to Travis, the front desk, what I was calling about and he took my info and phone # and told me that he would relay the information to Katie, the housekeeping manager, because housekeeping was in charge of Lost and Found.

The next morning I called again and this time Yvonne took my info and said that she, too, would relay the message to Katie. I waited for hours and still no calls. I called the third time and got on the phone with Lea this time. She told me that the housekeeping personnel were usually busy around the time I called. Later that afternoon (this was still Monday, January 5th) I finally received a phone call from Katie and she told me that there were no reported items left in the room. I was 100% sure that they would say, "Yes, we found your headphones" because that was the only place I had left them in. I was dismayed and completely mad at myself for being careless. I started to doubt myself and even began to convince myself that maybe I had left them somewhere else or maybe I didn't bring them with me at all. But then I turned my car and my house upside down and I still couldn't find those darn headphones!

Then I started to look through all the pictures I took during the trip and lo and behold, in one of them, there it was, my headphone case on the bed (see the “Before” picture)…I knew for sure I’d brought them with me! Then I remembered that I had my aunt take a picture of me on the balcony just moments after leaving the room (see the “After” picture). As you can see, I’m holding my small duffle bag in my left hand and a coat on my left arm, but no headphone case. Meanwhile, I have nothing else in my right hand/arm. THIS was the defining moment that made me go, “I'm not going crazy…I really did leave my case and headphones in that room!” And, I can assure you (whoever is reading this review) that I did not put them inside my small bag because that bag didn't have the space for that fat case. Plus if I really did have them with me then I wouldn't be wasting my time calling the hotel and insisting they were there or writing this review on this site if I wasn't ONE HUNDRED PERCENT POSITIVE THAT I LEFT MY HEADPHONES IN THE ROOM!!! Sure it’s only a $300 pair of Beats headphones, and sure it’s only given to me by my brother for Christmas…no biggie, right?

I understand that the hotel management is not responsible for these things but they are still responsible for their staff. Whoever took my headphones is definitely one of them. (How else could my headphones unknowingly vanish? I mean, inanimate objects couldn't just leave the room on their own, right?) However, I’m not expecting them to admit and fess up for they’ll be risking their job. So I advise everyone who is thinking of staying at this hotel to guard your stuff and to remember to bring everything with you when you check out!!! I sure didn't and now one of this hotel’s staff is laughing at me, mocking me, and triumphantly enjoying my pair of Beats headphones.

My rating: Infinite thumbs down and sad faces for dishonest and untrustworthy staff

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Dear Magrae,

We're sorry that we were unable to locate your headphones. Our Housekeeping staff did search the entire property for said headphones, but to no avail.

Regretfully,

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here as a family of four (2 adults and 2 elementary aged children) for three nights beginning on New Year's Day. The hotel consists of several buildings with open air hallways. Despite having motor inn/ lodge bones architecturally, the property has been updated to give more of a boutique hotel feel. The lobby has a mountain chic atmosphere with lots of natural wood elements and a fireplace. There is a small restaurant/ bar area across from the reception with lots of flat screen TVs and a limited sundries store.

Despite the holiday rush, we received a delightful room in Building B on the third floor with great views of the lake. The double room was basic in terms of accommodation but it was decorated nicely with a nautical theme and a large LG flatscreen. The property is green and eco-friendly with separate recycling bins and soap/ shampoo dispensers (no individual toiletries). Housekeeping was reliable and honest. My husband accidentally forget his Omega watch in the room one day and it was placed neatly on the freshly made bed. Unfortunately, there was no mini fridge or microwave in the room which would have been handy with kids. But I was more than willing to overlook this because there was a nice cozy gas fireplace and a balcony overlooking the beach.

Honestly the main selling point is the location-- the property is located right on the shore of South Lake Tahoe and has beautiful views of the mountains. There is a lovely pier that you can walk out to the edge and feel like you are standing in the middle of the lake. While we were there the shore was frozen and absolutely breathtaking. There is a restaurant on the pier called the Boathouse. We didn't have a chance to eat there but the prices looked fair ($$-$$$) considering that it has a waterfront view. Parking at the hotel is ample and free. There is a 24 hour Safeway supermarket directly across the street where you can get breakfast provisions (since it is not included in room rate) and the hotel is very close to a variety of restaurants. We snowboarded at Sierra at Tahoe and it only took 20-30 minutes to get there. The Heavenly Gondola/Stateline is about 5 minutes away by car.

For a last minute booking, I was very pleased with my stay here and would come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake view in Building B on third floor.
Dear An N,

Thank you so much for your detailed review of The Beach Retreat and Lodge. I know your review will assist future guests in making their decision on where to stay when they visit our beautiful town.

I also would like to thank you for recognizing our trustworthy Housekeeping staff and I am glad your husband's Omega watch was neatly placed on the bed.

We look forward to having you return to our property in the near future and we thank you for your business.

Kind regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Found this place right after Christmas and not cheap at over 150 a night. Check in was uneventful. Got in late and my husband crashed. As I climbed in I noticed pubic looking hair on the covers. Ew. The sheets were also very dirty and looked unwashed. I was not able to wake the husband to file a complaint. The front desk said the manager would call us. Have yet to hear back.

• Stayed December 2014
Brandon R, General Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Rehana Hussain:

I can't apologize enough for the negative experience you described in your review. We understand that the most basic expectation of any guest or customer is that of cleanliness. The team at the Beach Retreat and Lodge takes great pride in providing a clean and safe environment for all of our guests.

I understand that my executive housekeeper left you a message today to personally apologize for what you and your husband experienced during your stay with us. In addition, either myself or an executive from our property will be contacting you personally to provide an appropriate resolution.

Respectfully,

Been to Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe? Share your experiences!