“Well located near Lake Tahoe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe

Save Saved
You added Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe to your Saves list
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3411 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Timber Cove Lodge)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct and Save!!!!
Ranked #32 of 70 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Bangalore
“Well located near Lake Tahoe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms. Nice food service. Easy access to beach and water sports. Comfortable rooms with wifi and tv. Very comfortable beds. Pool are heated. Very nearby to Reno and nice local restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I paid $270 to stay here fof the night. The room did look like it does on the website however it is extremely small. The TV is out dated and the bathroom is small. In the tiny shower there is a push hand soap dispenser that is labeled "Hair and body wash". I found that to be kinda of tacky for such an expensive room. I paid a lot of extra money to get a room with a "view". This is no what I actually got. There was a view if you look past the parking lot and through the trees. Not exactly what I expected for the price I paid.

The grounds are nice and the beach access is awsome!! However I suggest staying away from the Boathouse restaurant on the pier. My girlfriend got a $14 burger thathad tons of grease dripping out of it. She ate half and was sick to her stomach for the next several hours. I had what the called a steak sandwhich and it was also terrible. Only nice part was the ambience.

The hammocks on the beach are awesome! I also the the night time movies at the pool was a great idea! The patio area by the office was a nice and inviting place. The bar inside was only manned for a few hours it seemed. My girlfriend and I went there at about 930 and there was no one tending the bar. I found this odd as it was a Saturday night. The outside buildings looked like they could use a little paint as well as the inside of the office could definitely use some work to make it look nice inside. There were exposed blue and white wires running up the wall. I found this to be VERY tacky. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are soft.

My BIGGEST complaint is their 3 o clock check in. Who wants to arrive in town that late? Or arrive earlier and have to sit there and wait for hours while your room is getting ready? This really upset me. I have never incountered this at any other hotel.

Overall this place is just above average. I would not pay $270 to stay here again. It is definitely NOT the luxury I expected to have after looking at their website. On the other side if you want to do just beach activities then this is your place. It is only $125-150 a night nice. I WILL NOT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2013
Shell Beach, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed in B112, Lakeview. At first we were disappointed because we thought we were getting a room that opened right up to the beach, but we ended up liking the location because we had a lawn area, which was slightly more private from the public and the kids could play safely in sight. It was still at the beach, just an extra few steps and still a fabulous view and you could walk right out to the pier.
HOWEVER-the carpet was DISGUSTING! We decided to stay because we would've lost one full night's rate and didn't think we would find a better location for the price ($169). Our kids were not allowed to play on the floor and we had a rule that everyone wore their flip flops when walking to and from the bathroom. The carpet was soaked by the slider door-either by dog urine or from others coming in wet from the lake. it was rippled and had even been stitched in one area. The room was tiny, but luckily we didn't send spend much time in it.
Another bummer is there is no fridge or microwave. We requested a fridge, but didn't get one. Thankfully we had a cooler. For a family of 4, 5 days, it was definitely inconvenient. Also, I was awakened by the sprinklers hitting our sliding glass door at 2:38 am. That happened twice during our stay. It was SO loud!
And yes, people do steal your plastic patio chairs. You might consider bring your own beach chairs and storing them in your room. I wish I would've.
They are dog friendly, unfortunately not all pet owners are responsible, so be prepared for dogs left in the rooms barking and watch your step!
We noticed the pool area dies down around 5 when people are starting to think about dinner. One early evening, we were in the hot tub and a man and his son joined us. My husband tried to make small talk with him and we ended finding out that he was an employee. That was kind of annoying considering we were paying a lot of $ for not a lot of amenities.
OK, so there technically is a restaurant and bar, but we NEVER saw anyone in it! The outside patio is super cute and inviting. We would've enjoyed hanging out there and not having to leave. It was a shame to see that part so wasted.
Also, the hotel will charge you upfront for your entire stay upon check in. that was a surprise!
Despite the negatives, we still had a blast and appreciated the location. It really depends on what's important to you. We read all the reviews and I guess it was the location that mattered most to us. We probably wont return, but we have great memories anyway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Napa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stinky dirty carpets, cobwebs, and old funky cheaply green plastic lawn chairs on the deck! This is a noisy mess! Two weddings in a row and the speeches and the music were blasting into our room until late at night. Not worth it! Staff is young and inexperienced, and along with your payment in advance with Expedia they take deposits that are refundable out of your account daily!! It whacks out your bank statements...and the exclamation they give you makes no sense! Rooms are small!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Beach Retreat and had a lakeview. We had a great experience and loved this hotel. As others have said, the rooms are small, actually very small, but that did not take away from our experience. We enjoyed the pier and the great views during sunset The hammocks were great to spend some time in. We spent a good deal of time in the pool which was nice as it was heated. We went to the hottub late in the evening and it was not overcrowded. The service we received was excellent and enjoyed having a drink on the balcony. We plan on going back soon before the summer is over.

California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Timbercove Lodge. This was the first time I have stayed since it became the Beach Retreat. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and accommodating. I had a lake view room with a balcony and was not disappointed by the view. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. It is a longer walk to the casino areas, but if you want a quieter relaxing hotel then this could be the hotel for you. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. Is on the beach with a lot of rentals for water activities. Would recommend and hope to stay again when in the area.

Rohnert Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Our family usually stays at a resort closer to the stateline, once we park the car we never get in it to go anywhere, we just walk, but our usual place was booked, so I found this place online and decided we might as well try it!! Great place, we had a fantastic view of the Lake and my family loved the pool, walk to the beach, hot tub (way too hot for me), the drinking water in the lobby!!!

The rooms are small but they serve their purpose, we spent more time at either the pool, the beach or the arcade in the casinos!!! The only thing missing in the room is a mini fridge.

Even though the resort is farther away than we would like, there was plenty to do within walking distance, good restaurants, we did not eat at the one within the grounds, dinner did not look all that great but I did want to try the breakfasts as it looked mighty good. My family plans on conf back here again, we really enjoyed our stay, the crew were very friendly and helpful. The pier is nice and on the weekends they have movie night at the pool for the young ones!! Can't wait to see what the place looks like after they complete the renovations/upgrades they are doing!

It really is a nice place to stay, we recommend this to anybody who wants to relax either by the pool, getting pool side service, or play in the Lake, renting jet skis or parasailing!!!! Stay here!!! You will love it!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe? Share your experiences!