“Awesome Retreat On The Lake!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe

Save Saved
You added Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe to your Saves list
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3411 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150 (Formerly Timber Cove Lodge)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #34 of 70 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Ceres, California
“Awesome Retreat On The Lake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice king room w/fireplace & balcony - beautiful view of the lake & pier! The 2 restaurants on site had really good food & service! Enjoyed the private beach & pool, staff was friendly & helpful, nice room decor. We got a great value w/Travel Zoo deal, staying 2 nights w/a $40.00 food credit for $169.00!!! We checked into staying an extra night, but it would have been $139.00! Quick taxi service to casinos! Safeway is right across the street & there's a easy walking/bike trail out front that takes you to a nearby park w/awesome scenery & public beach. Can't wait to go back & would highly recommend-dog friendly too! :) Lots of amenities!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We bought a Bloomspot voucher for an upgraded King Lakeview room - but ran into some bumps because the voucher was not specific in saying that these rooms are not pet friendly (we were going to bring dogs). The hotel made an exception for us, which was nice, but the way the woman on the phone sounded, it was like she was bending over backwards for us and we should be SOOOO grateful (even though I had spoken to someone at the hotel when I told them I was bringing 2 dogs and was in a lakeview room and was not told anything that time about the room not being pet-friendly).

This property used to be a Best Western. If I had done my research, I would have known that before buying the voucher. Shame on me. The room was small and the carpet perpetually felt slightly damp. The bed was too soft and sagged a bit in the middle. Because the room opened to the outside, you can hear people in the parking lot.

Very disappointed overall.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Atlanta14,
Please accept our apologies for your less than fantastic stay. We do love having pets at the Beach Retreat, but we reserve specific garden view rooms for our four-legged friends. Thank you for pointing out the confusion -- we will make sure all of our staff members are up-to-date on all programs and policies.
We are in the middle of a guest room renovation, and it should be complete by the end of the month. We hope you will come back and give us another change, especially with all of the activities and programs we have going on this summer. Thank you for letting us know your experience and let me know if you return and what we can do to make that experience a much better one.
Farmersville, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We enjoyed two nights at this hotel. The beds are comfortable and the linens seemed new. We suggest the beach rooms. The view of the lake is fantastic. The staff was extra nice and accommodating. Vickie

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Arriving in May from England after the ski season the hotel was still busy. We paid a little extra to get a room over looking the lake and it was well worth it....The room was clean with a gas fire and A/C if needed....view from balcony was wonderful showing the lake and the mountains. Room was 20 seconds from the beach and hotel had a pool as well .....did not try the restaurant as Tahoe have plenty to choose from and the casinos are only 5 minutes away ....Overall an ideal location and hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Payable little extra and get a room on"B"block over looking the lake for a great view. Oth...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked through Expedia - it was a GREAT DEAL and we were looking forward to what the trip had to offer. We were hoping to enjoy the beach! Unfortunately, the weather was poor (rainy and cold) and we did not get to take advantage of what the hotel had to offer.

PROS:
- Central location to South Lake Tahoe - easy access to lots of shopping, restaurants, and casinos
- Beach front property and very picturesque
- WiFi was easy to use and about 5mbps down 1mbps up

CONS:
- The room was EXTREMELY small (estimated 300 sq.ft. which includes the bathroom space)
- The service we received was below par and was unwilling to work with us
- The beach was littered with goose and duck droppings
- The tv seemed like it would die at times
- No microwave and mini fridge
- Their sister restaurant did not offer room service and Kitchen34Eleven seemed pricey
- We charged a $50/day deposit, which was not disclosed upfront

Given that the weather was not cooperating, we had to spend more time in the room than we had previously planned. When we got there, it looked like they did NOT have full capacity and they had their "VACANCY" sign lit up the whole 4 days we spent there. We were placed in the 2nd floor - to which we had concerns about noise. We requested for us to be moved to the 3rd floor and we were told that "they did not have anything available". When we got to our room, we were wondering where our "Lake view" was - but the lake was visible from the porch toward the back. As mentioned, we tried to order room service... We were happy that we got pizza delivered without issue.

The fireplace/heater worked great - but can get loud when you are sleeping. Between that and the noise from the guest above, sometimes falling back asleep was futile. We found out the next day we were charged a "$50/day deposit" - which wasn't an issue, but would have been nice for the front desk to divulge that info when we first checked in.

The place has a lot of potential. It has a great location and very romantic setting. I think hotel service could be better - and despite the small room, better amenities can be offered.

Room Tip: If you book this hotel, try to get a room on the 3rd floor as noise is an issue
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kimberly S, Manager at Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear ValerioV122,

Thank you for taking the time to write. We apologize that our services did not meet your expectations and want to do all that we can to remedy that. As you may know, we have a new name and new ownership as of December 1, 2012. We are in the process of making a lot of changes, both to the physical property and to the service standards. We are currently renovating our rooms, so that may have been the reason a 3rd floor room was not available. I am curious as to which room you were in, as the fireplace should not make any noise at all, and we want to make sure the one in your room is repaired.

You are so right when you say that the property has a lot of potential. Over the next several months, a lot of changes and updates will be happening, including launching a summer program with daily activities (rain or shine!). I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again. If so, please ask for me or for our general manager as we would like to apologize in person and see if there is anything we can do to make your next stay absolutely delightful.

Kimberly Sundt
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I booked my reservation from the living social I purchased. Being a business owner who has worked with groupon I understood the compromises you make with purchasing a discounted service. I called to schedule my dates and was sooooo happy with the service I received from the staff. Soo accommodating because it will be my honeymoon! After reading all the reviews and after experiencing such amazing customer service I can't wait! I never travel without my ear plugs so I am definitely looking forward to this amazing trip! My trip will be May 13-16

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was traveling with my 85 pound German Sheppard dog. It's not easy to find hotels willing to accept large dogs. This hotel was GREAT. A perfect location on the south end of Lake Tahoe with easy access to Stateline. I'd stay there again with or without the dog.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe? Share your experiences!